Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oktoberfest Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Yes the Bavarian tradition is to have it in the last 2 weeks of September leading up to 1st October, which was Prince Ludwig's bday or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Yes the Bavarian tradition is to have it in the last 2 weeks of September leading up to 1st October, which was Prince Ludwig's bday or something like that.

His wedding. That lad was mad for the sesh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

How do they justify that though? Pure greed. They must make a killing as is.

Place will be full with them charging a tenner or not, might as well charge the tenner. Supply and demand.

I stopped going when they brought plastic glasses in. Do they still have them?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Cienciano wrote: »

Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Cienciano wrote: »
    Place will be full with them charging a tenner or not, might as well charge the tenner. Supply and demand.

They have glasses now but require a €5 deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Polar101 wrote: »
    Why isn't it actually held in October? Or maybe they should call it Septemberfest instead.

There actually was a Septemberfest in Farmleigh one year, it was a craft beer festival in a big marquee with a few food stalls,. I'm talking maybe 7 or 8 years ago now. I think it only ran for two years and then disappeared which was a shame.
    D3V!L wrote: »
    They have glasses now but require a €5 deposit.
    Sounds like the german Christmas Markets where you pay a deposit for your mug of Gluhwein :D

There would be a bit more space if they moved it down to the area outside the Three arena/Gibson Hotel there but the distance from city centre would probably kill it off. Every year I think it sounds good in theory and every year I see or hear about ridiculous queues and I give it a miss. I've never been :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

The glasses are still plastic and as usual they require a 5e deposit

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The glasses are still plastic and as usual they require a 5e deposit

For a plastic cup? Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,026 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

miamee wrote: »
    There actually was a Septemberfest in Farmleigh one year, it was a craft beer festival in a big marquee with a few food stalls,. I'm talking maybe 7 or 8 years ago now. I think it only ran for two years and then disappeared which was a shame.

Sounds like the german Christmas Markets where you pay a deposit for your mug of Gluhwein :D

There would be a bit more space if they moved it down to the area outside the Three arena/Gibson Hotel there but the distance from city centre would probably kill it off. Every year I think it sounds good in theory and every year I see or hear about ridiculous queues and I give it a miss. I've never been :eek:

I think the "lack of space" is what makes the event a success. Moving it could be suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,820 ✭✭✭✭L1011

miamee wrote: »
    For a plastic cup? Wow.

It is a deposit, you do get it back. I think its a tenner for the 1l stein.

Make damn sure to get the refund token or else they will assume you swiped someone elses glass for the refund.

The 4:30 kickout ensured I didn't bother going this year - its not very good; its just a three minute walk from my office and we always got in before the charges started. It is absolutely not worth queuing and paying in under any circumstances.

Harbourmaster and Brew Dock have German beer and no entry charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Boycotting it this year, no way am I queuing up to get in somewhere for a drink. The €10 cover charge is a joke too. Basically have to pay €10 to get in, €5 deposit for a Stein and the €12 for a drink.€27 gone out of my pocket before I even sip a beer.

Plus the €12 for a litre is actually more expensive than €6.50 a pint in Temple Bar.

Be glad to see it gone next week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

kfallon wrote: »
    Boycotting it this year, no way am I queuing up to get in somewhere for a drink. The €10 cover charge is a joke too. Basically have to pay €10 to get in, €5 deposit for a Stein and the €12 for a drink.€27 gone out of my pocket before I even sip a beer.

Plus the €12 for a litre is actually more expensive than €6.50 a pint in Temple Bar.

Be glad to see it gone next week

Dublin events really know how to charge as much as possible for something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Caliden wrote: »
    Dublin events really know how to charge as much as possible for something different.

The problem is, it'll probably be full. They will have justified their high price as long as it's full.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Wow, there is a lot of misinformation on this thread and people "boycotting" due to this BS.
    • The €10 is the same as it was every year - you pay it in return for a food voucher and wristband (that allows you to get served late). You don't have to pay it, and, at a guess, half the people who attend don't.
    • Not sure of the reason for the security (whether it is terror related or down to a previous incident), but it is a minor inconvenience and, if it keeps the natives out, then brilliant.
    • Speaking or which, they have always had a very strict security when dealing with scumbags.
    • Oktoberfest is an amalgamation of many different Bavarian village/town festivals that would celebrate the end of the harvest, bring cows in from the mountains etc that were held in September/October (similar to many towns/villages in Ireland and elsewhere in the world). When ol' Ludwig got married in 1810, there were huge festivities in Munich (capital of Bavaria). These festivities repeated every year after and consolidated with the various other festivals. Even the Nazis promoted the Oktoberfest when they come to power (Hitler was obsessed with Bavaria), but it's best not mentioning that. The dates vary all over Bavaria in the various towns and villages, but the Munich one (ie, the big one) is the 16 days up to the first weekend in October)
    • For the deposit, that is standard in many German places (and festivals in many other countries). You do get your money back, so don't see why people are complaining. It is a shame it is (good quality) plastic instead of glass though. The only thing I can think of is, health and safety etc. The one advantage is that a mass of beer is now a little lighter on the hand when holding it.
    • At €12 for a mass of beer, that is pretty average for Dublin prices where you would commonly pay approx €6 for premium beer. Ordering a liter of beer in a mass glass is the same as ordering 2 pints.
    • It shouldn't be moved as the current location is perfect for it, correct size, great transport options (just next 2 dart, luas, bus station and a load of routes, lots of taxis and a 10 minute walk to O'Connell bridge. Yes, for a few hours on Friday evening/Saturday, it can be very busy and you may have to queue to enter the main part, but:
      • many popular bars/clubs are like that where there is a brief period in the week when they are very busy
      • it's only for a brief period, for the rest of the week, it is under capacity. Generally, Monday-Wednesday, it is quiet and never gets full, Thursday evening and Sunday, generally full, but small/no queues.
      • you can drink, eat and go to the toilet in the outer area and just go down to the main part when the queue dies down.
      • by queing to get in to the main part they make sure you then never really have to queue to get a beer, food or toilet once inside.
      • if you're wise, you will plan your arrival time to make sure you don't have to queue.

It's not to everybody's taste - nothing is. But to many people, it is great fun, and a different experience/atmosphere to a regular night out. I've gone every year for 9 years now, and was at it twice this year. It's ****in great craic.

P.S. They are not Stein's - they are a Mass of beer. A Mass is a liter glass mug. A stein is an earthenware (clay) mug that you never really get served in Bavaria. Generally a Stein is for personal use (drinking at home, or bring to your local and they fill it up for you)

A Stein:
    81P%2BMlgMuwL._SL1500_.jpg

A Mass:
    Jugg_with_Beer_Loewenbraeu_one_liter.JPG

dotsman wrote: »
    It's ****in great craic.

Having gone for a few years, it *was* - three years ago or more. Now its awful.

Food gets worse. Beer gets dearer despite non-existent inflation and non-existent duty changes. Music becomes intolerable hearing the exact same 45 minute set repeated every night, every year. Security get more power-trippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

L1011 wrote: »
    Having gone for a few years, it *was* - three years ago or more. Now its awful.

Food gets worse. Beer gets dearer despite non-existent inflation and non-existent duty changes. Music becomes intolerable hearing the exact same 45 minute set repeated every night, every year. Security get more power-trippy.

I don't know about that.

Had bratwursts both nights I was there and they were fantastic - in fact, I don't see how you could mess up a bratwurst!

Likewise, I haven't noticed any real price increase over the years - and as I said in my previous post, it is pretty much what you would pay for an Erdinger in any pub in Dublin.

In fact, having a quick look in this forum, there's some miserable folk whining about similar things 9 years ago! (when the price was €5.50 for a pint). That's an average of just 1% inflation in the past 9 years. That thread is here.

As for the music, it is similar, but not the same every night. There was a a significant difference between what I heard on the Thursday and on the Sunday that I went this year.

I have found the security to be absolute gents, very tolerable and helpful. Given that they are dealing with thousands of very, very drunk people in a confined space, it is very rare that I have seen them remove people. But that is just my experience - I might miss loads!

You like it. I think its gone to crap. I have to say that amongst people I know, the latter come out hugely. Haven't seen a single positive this year until yours - so at least I've now seen one.

I've worked nearly next door to it for more than 5 years in different jobs with different people so its not a view from single incidents with small groups.

Music wise, you hear the same awful beerhall tracks multiple times in the same night. You may also be treated to them thinking Dirty Old Town is about Dublin - multiple times in the same night. Its about Salford. Its also crap, particularly when done in a fake-Bavarian style.

The Irish are event junkies which is the only reason this, and Bloom, and a number of other worn out destination-events keep going.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I went on a Monday night and it was:

Free in
    €10 for a litre before 10PM plus €5 deposit. It may have been a Monday evening thing. €12 after 10PM, I think.
    Food was pretty good.
    Music wasn't great.
    There were a lot of security guards around alright but I didn't have any problem with them and they dealt with everything swiftly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭howiya

dotsman wrote: »
    I don't know about that.

Had bratwursts both nights I was there and they were fantastic - in fact, I don't see how you could mess up a bratwurst!

Likewise, I haven't noticed any real price increase over the years - and as I said in my previous post, it is pretty much what you would pay for an Erdinger in any pub in Dublin.

In fact, having a quick look in this forum, there's some miserable folk whining about similar things 9 years ago! (when the price was €5.50 for a pint). That's an average of just 1% inflation in the past 9 years. That thread is here.

As for the music, it is similar, but not the same every night. There was a a significant difference between what I heard on the Thursday and on the Sunday that I went this year.

I have found the security to be absolute gents, very tolerable and helpful. Given that they are dealing with thousands of very, very drunk people in a confined space, it is very rare that I have seen them remove people. But that is just my experience - I might miss loads!

Working across the road from it, the music is the same every night although I can't vouch for a sunday as I work Monday-Friday. Same songs, order changes a bit but they play the same stuff every night.

Security do seem a bit power trippy. Was walking through one evening after work (along the outside of the CHQ building) to head home after work. Chap wanted to know where I was going. I wasn't attending the event so told him to mind his own business and kept walking with him shouting after me.

Advertisement