Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Southern Kings v Leinster Rugby | Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium KO: 13:15 TG4

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

This feels more like watching an open training session than an actual rugby match with points and offer and whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭determinations

TMO was really looking for that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That's a dummy run ffs.

Whats the TMO trying to prove.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Clegg wrote: »
    What are they looking for here?

Some sort of obstruction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I don't even believe half that number of tickets were sold... Unless there's some dirt cheap deal on

Apparently they were giving them out for free. Literally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

This is almost like watching the usa play years ago. All enthusiasm but at times it's almost farcical. Dropping the ball under no pressure, kicking it off your own man, ****ting the bed in attack...

That being said it's really days for them so we'll see how it goes long term.

Presuming 'early' days.
    Early days ? In the Pro 14 perhaps, but thought they were supposed to have been playing serious rugby before the last fortnight ?

I don't even believe half that number of tickets were sold... Unless there's some dirt cheap deal on

Including those given to sponsors maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Man, these guys are poor. Its hard to believe they are even professionals.

Not in the first half. They just need to be able to sustain their focus and also do more with the possession and territory they won in that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The ball was available to be played there again. This is one seriously, shall we say flawed, refereeing performances I've seen in a while.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Ball absolutely playable and nowhere for Ryan to go. Another bizarre call from this ref.

• Advertisement

ROL with another missed tackle. He was great in the wing last season but hasn't really been great in the centre this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Presuming 'early' days.
    Early days ? In the Pro 14 perhaps, but thought they were supposed to have been playing serious rugby before the last fortnight ?

Indeed yes. Early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Ha. More security stewards than supporters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Would these guys be missing many players because of the South African national team playing?

Ball kicked out of McCarthys hands and it's ignored. Seriously now ref. F the F off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭accensi0n

phatkev wrote: »
    Would these guys be missing many players because of the South African national team playing?

Lol

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

I don't know if anyone else saw it, but I had a good laugh at the Kings 8 fumbling that kick into touch and his subsequent reaction...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

They must be making a hefty enough loss from these games purely on operating costs of a 46,000 seater stadium and having less than half a thousand show up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

MattD wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone else saw it, but I had a good laugh at the Kings 8 fumbling that kick into touch and his subsequent reaction...!

Twas funny along with I think their hooker getting hit in the back of the head with the ball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I presume once the Currie Cup ends these guys will pick up some players.

Wasn't there a couple of S African squad players this year from the Kings?
    Or have they moved on since?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

They have all moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Who got man of the match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think this could be a very short experiment.

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Who got man of the match?

Reid I think

15 from 15 with players to come back and lots of improvements to be made. It's the best start to a season we've ever had AFAIK. I know we were playing weak sides, but that has been the case in the past too. Lots of guys getting game time. Sure it wasn't a great performance but I'll take that.

Think this could be a very short experiment.

We need to write off this season for them. Off the back of a SR season, lost players, Currie Cup commitments and feck all time to get a handle on an entirely new league with 12 entirely new teams is a hell of a lot to overcome. They won't get the better of that in a few weeks.

3,011 attendance :D

Where did you see that figure?

molloyjh wrote: »
    We need to write off this season for them. Off the back of a SR season, lost players, Currie Cup commitments and feck all time to get a handle on an entirely new league with 12 entirely new teams is a hell of a lot to overcome. They won't get the better of that in a few weeks.

Hopefully they will regroup over their Christmas break, but as you said we can't be expecting much from them this season,

• Advertisement

Why were the officials wearing white instead of the usual yellow?

Stheno wrote: »
    Why were the officials wearing white instead of the usual yellow?

No sponsors logo, I figure white provides better contrast against the orange of the Cheetahs means you only need one set for the SA trips. Total guess.

They are all wearing last years shorts too, with various mods to try and disguise it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

DGRulz wrote: »
    Someone needs to add that clip of Conan walking away in slow motion and winking to the Conan gif collection.

Done.

uy0J09x.gif

And one to sum up the Southern Kings:

deioY5l.gif

Peregrine wrote: »

And one to sum up the Southern Kings:

deioY5l.gif

I find that hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Stheno wrote: »
    I find that hilarious

I doubt the prop did.

So far I'm behining to think the South African sides are actually going to be worse than the Italians. Hopefully their squads will get substantially beefed up through the season and they become at least remotely competitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'm sure the Saffers can turn this around. Unlike Italy, they are a massive rugby nation, and the SARU seem to be behind the Pro14 experiment. I'm happy to wait and see what state the two teams are in this time next year.

• Advertisement

stephen_n wrote: »
    I doubt the prop did.

I'm sure he didn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

molloyjh wrote: »

They are fielding a mainly amateur side as eastern province kings this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 ShanklyZ

They are fielding a mainly amateur side as eastern province kings this year.

Cheetahs are fielding a stronger side for currie cup to secure semis

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I'm sure the Saffers can turn this around. Unlike Italy, they are a massive rugby nation, and the SARU seem to be behind the Pro14 experiment. I'm happy to wait and see what state the two teams are in this time next year.
    I hope so, if these teams become competitive, it will be fantastic for the league. Just they're an awful long way off that for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Good point a few of them might have gone to the pub to watch the NZ game. Often happened when I played 3a's back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I hope so, if these teams become competitive, it will be fantastic for the league. Just they're an awful long way off that for now.

They are professional teams that were culled from super rugby. What are we meant to expect with regards to their competivieness? They lost out due to a lack of it.

You can never be definite about these things but I'm pretty sure Conan was winking at me there.

They are professional teams that were culled from super rugby. What are we meant to expect with regards to their competivieness? They lost out due to a lack of it.

Not being competitive in Super Rugby, dosent really equal not being competitive in the pro 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Not being competitive in Super Rugby, dosent really equal not being competitive in the pro 14.

I love your optimism.....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

jacothelad wrote: »
    I love your optimism.....;)

It's not based on what we've seen so far, that's for sure. But if SARU put the same support behind the teams in terms of players, that they have with Ulster, I'm sure they can be competitive.

Advertisement