Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silvermines Mountains Co. Tipperary

Options
  • 16-09-2017 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

HI folks, following an enjoyable trip outside Dublin to the Slieve Bloom mountains in Co Laois (highly recommended btw, the Cut and the Wolftrap climbs are beautiful), I'm thinking of another away day from Dublin to the Silvermines mountains in Co Tipperary.

Does anyone know the area and can give advice about good routes to take? The plan is to take ht train to Thurles and then do a nice loop in the hills.

I ride a 'gravel bike' which is comfortable both on paved and on dirt roads.

Advice much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Cathalu

Don't know the area very well but spent a while cycling there a year ago. Super area. Awesome climbing, don't bring a standard and 11-25! Roads are quiet, through woods. It's really a hidden gem. Ballina is very close also for some more great cycling, Kilalloe area. Definitely do it, I'd head there again no questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Cathalu wrote: »
    Don't know the area very well but spent a while cycling there a year ago. Super area. Awesome climbing, don't bring a standard and 11-25! Roads are quiet, through woods. It's really a hidden gem. Ballina is very close also for some more great cycling, Kilalloe area. Definitely do it, I'd head there again no questions.

Can you give me an approx idea of what kind of route you took?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭df

I have this route planned out but haven't done it yet. Some rough roads and decent climbs. Plenty of scope for gravel riding there as well I believe. https://www.strava.com/routes/7227827

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Keeper hill is a hell of a climb, I'm not sure how suitable it is for a gravel bike, there's a fireroad to the top but it may be straying into mtb territory.

https://www.strava.com/segments/3105445

Advertisement