Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual screen *help!*

Options
  • 16-09-2017 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am looking to set up a second screen on my pc for work. I literally only need these for spreadsheets and the like, so nothing fancy for gaming etc.
    My tower is old so I'm going to invest in a new one. However I'm getting a lot of conflicting information about what I need.
    One shop suggested that I need a particular graphics card in order to run 2 screens (but didn't tell me what exactly to look for :@ )
    Another shop said that I would need an adapter even though I'm planning to get a tower with connections to enable dual screens.
    A person I know who'd be good at IT stuff said that they'd be surprised if a computer was sold these days without the connections or graphics card needed to run dual screens.

Is there anyone out there who can give me any definitive answers on what I'm looking for in a PC when it comes to being able to use 2 screens for everyday use?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Virtually any PC these days will support dual screens - the only issue is making sure that the monitors being used also have the compatible connectors.

EG. a PC from a few years ago might have a DVI + VGA - whereas two new monitors might only have HDMI connections. A brand new PC will probably have HDMI and DVI. Most monitors should have HDMI+DVI unless they're pretty old.

You can get adapters even in that case though. If your PC isn't terribly old and worth keeping, you can just get a graphics card with DVI, HDMI and VGA for about €30 brand new.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

From what I recall most computers have two graphics connectors and can drive at least two screens from those connectors.

Heck, even an old cheap laptop I have has a connector for a second screen.

It should only be a matter of setting the screens up in the OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Would also agree, but just adding DisplayPort to the list...

The 4 and 1/2 types of video connector that you might find on a common windows desktop /laptop are VGA, DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort (or mini-DisplayPort or thunderbolt which are compatible for video display ).

if you've got two or more of these on the PC, and monitors with matching input connectors then you are sorted.

DisplayPort to HDMI monitor cable adapters are cheap. About a tenner.

geeky rubbish...
    In theory you can daisychain some modern DisplayPort supporting (version 1.2 and later) monitors from PC-> Monitor1 -> Monitor2 -> Monitor3, but it can be technically fiddly to make sure your PC knows which monitor is the terminating one.

As a last resort if you had to then there are USB -> VGA / HDMI adapters, intended for thin laptops, but they're expensive to buy new.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

what connections does your current pc and monitors have?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 southernlights

I'm getting a new one, and am confused as hell as to what I'm looking for. Especially the graphics card part confused me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Pick an example machine like
    http://www.dell.com/ie/business/p/xps-8920-desktop/pd

look at the specification, and within that section the ports.

Might look like...
    Ports
    Front
    4 USB 3.0 Ports
    1 Mic-in
    1 Headphone
    1 SD Card Reader (SD, SDHC, SDXC)

Rear
    3 USB 3.0 ports
    1 USB 3.1 port
    2 USB 2.0 ports
    1 USB 3.1 Type-C port
    1 HDMI <--
    1 Display Port <--

1 Gigabit Ethernet
    1 Audio ports (5.1 channel (3 Jack)

or from a different computer
    http://www.dell.com/ie/business/p/inspiron-3662-desktop/pd?ref=PD_OC
    I/O Ports
    2 Front - USB 3.0
    1 5:1 Multi-Card Reader
    1 Audio Combo Jack Rear - Line in/out and Microphone Port
    1 VGA <--
    1 HDMI out <--

4 USB 2.0
    1 Network Port
    1 DC power

or for shop buys, just take down the make and model from the shop or. better yet take a photo and post it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Intel i3, i5 and i7 have onboard graphics which support dual screen. No need for a separate graphics card.

Advertisement