Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** All things Medicine, HPAT etc. 2018 ** (See mod note in Post 1)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭smartboyz

steven975 wrote: »
    I got 613 in my leaving and then 164 in the HPAT, so annoyed I missed it by that little haha

How did u study for the leaving cert and what subjects did u do.im in 5th year and I got 546 in the Christmas exams .is that good for where I am rn?!?!?!??

• Registered Users Posts: 43 leimmxvii

Good luck to all tommorow!

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

Sooooooo happy with my results, hope it went well for the rest of you too!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ae86VroomVroom

If I got 5h1''s and a h2 in the LC, how much points do you think ill need in my HPAT for rcsi or trinity

Congrats unknown all your hard work payed off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭agoodusername

If I got 5h1''s and a h2 in the LC, how much points do you think ill need in my HPAT for rcsi or trinity

I'd say a 168 would give you a strong chance. 170 and you'd be safe

Thank you good sir, someone was telling me I needed 180 and so I spent all of yesterday sulking and moaning. Hope you have a great summer, once again thanks for the reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

If one of your subjects is higher maths then you would have 613 points which when adjusting for medicine is 562 (563?).( anything over 550 counts at 20%)
    Medicine in trinity last year was approximately 732 so all being equal 732 - 562 = 170 if points don't go up.
    If one of your subjects wasn't higher maths then 25 bonus points gone then adjusted for medicine is 5 points gone so you might need 175.
    Medicine in RCSI was 729 in so 167 or 172 depending on the maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kittychan

This thread is emptier than previous years :/
    Anyhow hows everyone doing over summer?
    Also, it would be nice to know how everybody found this year's hpat and were there any changes to percentiles?
    Personally got 80th so not too sad nor too happy.
    Many of my friends applied for medicine and except for one guy, everyone got lower than me and I cant tell ya why! I feel hpat is so unpredictable T_T

Congrats!!
    BTW is it okay if i can know your percentile? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

kittychan wrote:
    Congrats!! BTW is it okay if i can know your percentile?

I got 88th percentile, congrats to you too

I got 88th percentile, congrats to you too

WOW, that's amazing. My friend last year got it and is now in Trinity!

What score is 88th percentile?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Skibbboi

I’m on 719 points...should I repeat hpat?

Skibbboi wrote: »
    I’m on 719 points...should I repeat hpat?

Can I know how much of that is ur LC and how much/ what percentile is your hpat?

If you have 550+ LC points, then it makes sense to only repeat hpat but if your LC score is lower than I would recommend repeating both!

kittychan wrote: »
    Can I know how much of that is ur LC and how much/ what percentile is your hpat?

If you have 550+ LC points, then it makes sense to only repeat hpat but if your LC score is lower than I would recommend repeating both!

LC is 601. Hpat 158. 61st percentile.. can you tell me your section scores please so I can have an idea of how much I would need to improve by. Mine are 52,49,60

LC is 601. Hpat 158. 61st percentile.. can you tell me your section scores please so I can have an idea of how much I would need to improve by. Mine are 52,49,60

WOah man, congrats on the LC!:) I wish I have a score like that!

Hmmm dont give up on your hpat! Last year I got 157 (60th) and this yr I got 81st so yup you can improve greatly.

Also I do think you might even have a chance this yr with Galway, hopefully:D

I got 58,54 and 62 i think. S2 is a bit hard to greatly improve as I only improved by a few points this year but I improved greatly in s3.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

Off topic, I know but... Would I be OK with physics and chemistry? No biology and only now thinking of med as an alternative to finance or engineering. Can't seem to decide for next year. Any thoughts?

Ya I heard that about S2. I think I could improve greatly in S1 because I guessed about 11 questions on the day in that section. Always struggle time wise in S1. How was your timing actually and do you remember roughly how many questions you guessed?

Thanks very much and best of luck in lc results!
    kittychan wrote: »
    WOah man, congrats on the LC!:) I wish I have a score like that!

Hmmm dont give up on your hpat! Last year I got 157 (60th) and this yr I got 81st so yup you can improve greatly.

Also I do think you might even have a chance this yr with Galway, hopefully:D

I got 58,54 and 62 i think. S2 is a bit hard to greatly improve as I only improved by a few points this year but I improved greatly in s3.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

Off topic, I know but... Would I be OK with physics and chemistry? No biology and only now thinking of med as an alternative to finance or engineering. Can't seem to decide for next year. Any thoughts?

That's fine. No med course requires biology. If they specify a lab science it's usually chemistry but you meet the requirements subject-wise for medicine anywhere seeing as you're doing two lab sciences where one is chemistry.

TBH it would be fine but it would be good to look at biology course and see whether you would actually like learning all that for 5 yrs in so much detail in med.

• Advertisement

Ya I heard that about S2. I think I could improve greatly in S1 because I guessed about 11 questions on the day in that section. Always struggle time wise in S1. How was your timing actually and do you remember roughly how many questions you guessed?

Thanks very much and best of luck in lc results!

OMG timing is so cruel.

Man tbh i remember guessing a lot of questions. Even in S3 i guessed so much! So even i dont know what the magical formula for timing is.

When practicing hpat, i realised that some guessing is necessary for a good score. Its weird but honestly the days when i used to guess around 5-10 qs and spend a reasonable time on answering the others qs right I would get a better score (on the real day too) than when I tried to answer all qs!

It seems that the trick is picking and choosing your battles (& questions) and not to spend a lot of time on impossible qs. I think the second time I mastered that skill better than when I did the hpat the first time.

For s2 learning, some essential vocab was the only way i brought my score a bit higher ( but only learning words will not drastically change your score, only improve it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hhhhhh999999

Hey I got 210 in the hpat (100th percentile), if anyone has any questions fire away👍

Hey I got 210 in the hpat (100th percentile), if anyone has any questions fire away👍

congrats! it's an amazing score.

Hmmm i guess my question would be' do you have any tips that you think directly helped you get a high score?'

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

Hey I got 210 in the hpat (100th percentile), if anyone has any questions fire awayðŸ‘

Wow. Congratulations, that's an amazing score. Do you think there's anything that you did that might have helped you do so well?

Advertisement