Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do fish learn to avoid lures

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

ardinn wrote: »
    https://slaneyfishing.com/fish-learn-avoid-flies-lures/

Can we have a sticky on good Articles for fishing, I regularly come acroos alot that I like to share!!

Interesting..

I do agree pike tend to smarten up on certain Baits(deadbaits)on some places pike are totally turned of Mackey and would be very lucky to get one on them, instead I fish with more natural Baits and do get better results, these pike get pressured and the main trick on these lakes is to use natural Baits.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah there are studies on fish that when you inflict pain on them they avoid the pain source in future, same as anybody

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

The article above though has nothing to do with "pain" or "smartening up" Its about a genetic disposition of faster living species more prone to catch.

Did either of you read it??? :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Half to admit I skimmed it :pac: was just commenting on the "the negative association" after catch and release

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The article is somewhat long winded but I will say that I have long given up on the notion of a clever canny old fish. I think many anglers overestimate the intelligence of some fish and their ability identify a fly as artificial, or to spot a mono line more so than a flouro line. A fish does not know what line is at all. I strongly doubt their ability to learn at all - in the context of fly or lure avoidance.
    The secret is to find what a particular fish feeds on and when. I know rivers where a fly will never beat a worm and vice versa, for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

I agree about not so clever fish, as far as trout is concerned its like not so clever anglers,when trout are feeding on balling buzzers,murraghs or green peters they are pure puddings its like fishing for mackerel when you know where its going on, spent can be the same if you watch the fish the way he feeding and take you time, to many anglers trowing to fish straight away and putting them down other times you think their is something wrong with your fly that the trout has passed it i dont belive in this bull its a case of he feeding that high up in the water he cant see it people just sitting in slicks waiting for it to happen most times wont happen study the wind where the fly will land be in that area where the biggest fall will be ect ,its the anglers that are not clever not the fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

That experiment on the bass is crazy. Seems the pass knowledge to there offspring.

That experiment on the bass is crazy. Seems the pass knowledge to there offspring.

I'm sorry but nowhere was it even suggested that knowledge was involved nor that anything other than a genetic predisposition may be involved. Knowledge was not passed on.

A fish that got caught before, will have off spring that will be tougher to catch

A fish that's never caught will, have offspring that are easy to catch.

I didn't mean knowledge literally, animal knowledge is different to ours. Every animal is smart and can think. Maybe the fear was passed down, I don't know..

A fish that got caught before, will have off spring that will be tougher to catch

A fish that's never caught will, have offspring that are easy to catch.

That's the exact opposite of what the study found!!!

• Advertisement

Yeah sorry, I mixed myself up there 😣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Hahaha - That was deadly!!!

:D

Advertisement