Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Impossible task

• 16-09-2017 5:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭

I live in central dublin today and yesterday I have approached probably over 60 farmers politely asking for permission to hunt on their land I have insurance everything above board but finding it next to impossible to get land permission if I had hair I'd pull it out at this stage :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Is there anyway you'd get an introduction from lads who know a couple of farmers or lads who are members of a gun club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭Keith2828

Is there anyway you'd get an introduction from lads who know a couple of farmers or lads who are members of a gun club

No not really unfortunately and I was in contact with the guards Thursday and they said my 243 licence will be with me next week but pointlessly have nowhere to use it this is why I have been knocking around the past 2 days with no avail unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

I presume you have a landowner named on your licence can they not introduce you to other farmers

grassroot1 wrote: »
    I presume you have a landowner named on your licence can they not introduce you to other farmers

Yes I have permission for 150 acres the past year but not much on the land to he honest and I have asked the person who I have the permission off they sad they don't really know others that would allow hunting on there land but said they would find out and let me know this was couple of months ago and have seen me recently so I don't want to hassle them about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

Did u get the 243 for foxing ask the sheep farmers always looking for lads during lambing especially to knock foxes

• Advertisement

Tommyaya4 wrote: »
    Did u get the 243 for foxing ask the sheep farmers always looking for lads during lambing especially to knock foxes

Yes I got it for foxing with the high possibility of deer stalking in the near future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

You knocked on 60 doors this weekend knock on 70 next weekend and keep knocking until you get a favorable result.
    as previously posted a hungry fox doing damage is your best hope but that will be lambing time. Make sure you leave a card with your phone number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I'm having the same issue , looking for permissions in kildare or nearby .Im getting no results and have even offered cash for permissions but no takers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

Letting someone you know nothing about on your property with a high powered rifle not hard to see why you're being refused especially with the carry on that's going on out there in every parish in the country.

Just saying :(

Letting someone you know nothing about on your property with a high powered rifle not hard to see why you're being refused especially with the carry on that's going on out there in every parish in the country.

Just saying :(

To he honest I didn't even have the chance to say what type of firearm I would be using all I mentioned was hunting and vermint control an that resulted in a straight no but I do see where you are coming from as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Impossible task indeed....from experience you fairly rarely fall into something good, rather its built up over time. You'll start of with a small location and after a while you'll be surprised to find the land owner has another holding or some such or even the neighbour needs a spot of help. Either way it's usually the result of a lot of effort and time on your behalf proving your worth and trustworthiness.
    That means long cold nights trying to nail that pesty fox or even longer and fruitless days shooting those hundreds of crows and pigeons plauging the farm, who seem miraclessly disappear when you arrive.
    From your other posts, in fairness to you your reaching out there to farmers, but you've about as much hope as a Phone Watch agent or Jehovah Witness cold calling in an housing estate on rainy dark evening. Work what you have and build from there. If your rather new to hunting well it takes time, if not, and no disrespect, but what have you being doing? I fell away from hunting for a good few years and more or less had to start from scratch. But one farm led to another and another and so on.
    Without preaching I will comment on the stalking and AM making a big assumption here, you obviously don't associate with other hunters (If you did then the search for permissions and advice to such won't be looked for here), if so taking on stalking with out experience, knowledge and I would assume, again, the required logistics is not advised. There is so much seen and unseen that goes hand in hand with the whole notion that really it is advisable to do an 'apprenticeship' with knowledgeable stalkers. If you think getting permission is hard wait till you try and find a lad to take out a complete stranger stalking.

Don't give up but work what you have and go from there.

Impossible task indeed....from experience you fairly rarely fall into something good, rather its built up over time. You'll start of with a small location and after a while you'll be surprised to find the land owner has another holding or some such or even the neighbour needs a spot of help. Either way it's usually the result of a lot of effort and time on your behalf proving your worth and trustworthiness.
    That means long cold nights trying to nail that pesty fox or even longer and fruitless days shooting those hundreds of crows and pigeons plauging the farm, who seem miraclessly disappear when you arrive.
    From your other posts, in fairness to you your reaching out there to farmers, but you've about as much hope as a Phone Watch agent or Jehovah Witness cold calling in an housing estate on rainy dark evening. Work what you have and build from there. If your rather new to hunting well it takes time, if not, and no disrespect, but what have you being doing? I fell away from hunting for a good few years and more or less had to start from scratch. But one farm led to another and another and so on.
    Without preaching I will comment on the stalking and AM making a big assumption here, you obviously don't associate with other hunters (If you did then the search for permissions and advice to such won't be looked for here), if so taking on stalking with out experience, knowledge and I would assume, again, the required logistics is not advised. There is so much seen and unseen that goes hand in hand with the whole notion that really it is advisable to do an 'apprenticeship' with knowledgeable stalkers. If you think getting permission is hard wait till you try and find a lad to take out a complete stranger stalking.

Don't give up but work what you have and go from there.

Thanks for your feedback an yes I am quite new to the sport only since last year and as I have seen myself it is a slow process to getting to know the ins an outs as their is so much to take into consideration, ro your other assumption no I don't really know other hunters as none of my friends have interest in the sport unfortunately but that's their loss ☺ but I appreciate your time to comment and it will be noted cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

I was in your position last year and have to agree it's a lengthy process to get on ground that holds deer much more so than foxing or general vermin control.
    My advice would be to get on to sheep farmers mainly as they really suffer from grey crows magpies and foxes killing at lambing time and be prepared to be out in all weather to knock a fox or foxes that are doing harm in January and work up from there I wouldn't even mention deer shooting as they will think you're either a trophy hunter or good weather hunter and show you the gate.
    It's not easy but you'll get there if you really have the interest.

tikkamark wrote: »
    I was in your position last year and have to agree it's a lengthy process to get on ground that holds deer much more so than foxing or general vermin control.
    My advice would be to get on to sheep farmers mainly as they really suffer from grey crows magpies and foxes killing at lambing time and be prepared to be out in all weather to knock a fox or foxes that are doing harm in January and work up from there I wouldn't even mention deer shooting as they will think you're either a trophy hunter or good weather hunter and show you the gate.
    It's not easy but you'll get there if you really have the interest.

Yea I see what you mean ill just keep at it iv no problem being out in any weather at all ill just keep the head down an keep at it cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Mach Two

You need to get to know someone that shoots fox's. Leave your rifle at home for one season. Learn the basics and the skills (safety as well of course). Join a target rifle club maybe. I would presume that a lot of target shooters would shoot fox's too. Most fox shooters need a lamp man. It is not difficult a job. And take it from there. There might be someone from here that needs a lamp man.

Mach Two wrote: »
    You need to get to know someone that shoots fox's. Leave your rifle at home for one season. Learn the basics and the skills (safety as well of course). Join a target rifle club maybe. I would presume that a lot of target shooters would shoot fox's too. Most fox shooters need a lamp man. It is not difficult a job. And take it from there. There might be someone from here that needs a lamp man.

Yes of course safety is always first regarding basics an skills on using a rifle?or just skills of foxing in general theirs no problem about safety I served for few years so I know my way around a rifle no problem in that aspect cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Then you need to get to know someone that shoots fox's then the landowners will get to know you.

Advertisement