Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Destiny 2 worth the plunge?

Options
  • 16-09-2017 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Ok, so as the title says is Destiny 2 worth getting but more importantly what type of person would enjoy or, better still, not enjoy it? The reason I ask is that while it seems like a cracking game and everyone seems to enjoy it, it can't really work out if it's for me. I'm not a big first person shooter fan but that more derives from the fact that I'm not very good and as a result have a hard time deriving any satisfaction from them. I suppose that it's designed around online collaborative play is probably a bit off putting too because my incompetence becomes much more noticeable in these circumstances (there's no AI to set to just die really easily :) ).

I'll be honest I probably wouldn't have even considered it only my sister suggested it might be of interest because my nephews are fond of it

A bit of a basic question I know and very specific to my own circumstances but it might prove useful to others too.

I should point out that I'm not trying to start any rows or question the quality of the game etc. I'm just trying to see if it's for me before parting with €60 and asking people with the most experience seems like the best place to start!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

So you say you don't normally go for FPS games, well what kind of games do you enjoy? That might be a good starting point :)

Bare in mind the Destiny 1 collection (which includes 4 DLC packs) can be gotten in some places pretty cheap and might give you a flavour for what is involved without the €60 payments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

So you say you don't normally go for FPS games, well what kind of games do you enjoy? That might be a good starting point :)

Thanks for coming back to me. Yeah, that might help alright!

I play platform or strategy games mostly (I say mostly but truth be told the luster has gone out of my computer game playing of late so I don't really play much anymore ... maybe this is what being "mature" involves!). Saying that I enjoy the odd flight combat simulator and racing games too.
    Bare in mind the Destiny 1 collection (which includes 4 DLC packs) can be gotten in some places pretty cheap and might give you a flavour for what is involved without the €60 payments

I was kind of thinking of this myself but still can't work out whether or not it's a good idea. I'll see what you and the other good people of boards tell me about the second one first ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Destiny is an excellent shooter all round, if as you say your generally not good at shooters you can stroll around the open worlds killing enemies and getting used to the shooting etc to build up your skill level. Destiny really excels when it comes to the raids IMO and look we all have to start somewhere so it doesn't really matter if you die loads cos in a raid group everyone is bound to make mistakes so don't be afraid to join in even if you think you'll hold the group back etc. After a few weeks you'll be well used to the game and if nothing else it gives you something to chat and share with your nephew's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mcgrath1992

destiny 2 is a pretty good game and enjoyable , i had fun soloing the missions on my own and just enjoying the grind leveling up. it may seem limited right now story wise compared to destiny 1 but more expansions will come eventually. The strikes can be challenging but you wont be on our own as it has match making , unless your doing the nightfall or raid then you will need to find peeps to help you and I'm sure some boardsies would be happy to help out if you go for either destiny 1 or 2 and I'm always free if need extra firepower as i'm 271 light on destiny 2 and 340 something light on destiny1. I wouldnt worry about crucible too much just do best you can for the fun of it as you will still get rewards either way for completing a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Its a fine game but there are some infuriating things about it - always needs to be connected to servers even for the campaign, difficult to understand levelling/upgrades, the start of the campaign is a bit crap but does become very good around midway through, you almost need to do the campaign first before you get into the meaty bits.
    I dont regret buying it. The story does become very good, the music, voice actors and set pieces are very good, teaming up with a few people (buddies or randomers) to hammer through a raid or level is great fun, the progression, once you get used to it is addictive.

As you dont like/play much FPS I would recommend Titanfall 2 or Doom, both cheap and both have excellent single player campaigns.

• Advertisement
Advertisement