Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US diplomats in Cuba hit with mysterious 'acoustic' attacks

• 16-09-2017 10:03pm

Not sure if this has been mentioned here, but it's a story that is brewing at the moment from Cuba.
    It's an unlikely weapon of war — an ultrasonic device that causes hearing loss, headaches, nausea, even mild brain injury.

The FBI is one of several US agencies investigating the possibility that US diplomats have been deliberately targeted by a mysterious "acoustic" attack in Cuba.

The US has confirmed the number of employees affected has now risen to 21 and could rise further. All the victims were diplomats, and many of the incidents reported had been confined to specific rooms or even parts of rooms.

Source: abc.net.au

Nobody knows the source of these "acoustic" attacks, only that one person reported -
    In one case an American diplomat staying at a hotel in Havana claimed he was jolted awake by a "blaring, grinding" noise.

When he got out of bed and moved a few feet away, there was silence. When he climbed back into bed the agonizing sound hit him again.

Soon he suffered hearing loss and speech problems — symptoms that are both similar and quite different from those experienced by many other Americans in Cuba.

Essentially the attacks are baffling experts, because
    Scientists and acoustic experts are baffled by the attacks. They said targeted localised beams of sound were possible, but the laws of acoustics suggested such a device would be too big to conceal.

And no single sonic gadget could explain the array of symptoms.

It's a really fascinating story - they think that it's either an attempt at mind control or just to harras diplomats.

I love that thought - someone built a weapon just to f*ck with someone for the craic.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

The exact same thing happens me when I watch the X factor...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

Only 'acoustic' attack I know of is when some minstrel finds an acoustic guitar at a party and everybody at the thing must abide by some sort of militant minstrel law where everyone has to sit in silence listening to the wailing twat

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Thought acoustic attacks might involve Ed Sheeran or Gavin James.

Luckily for them, it's only mild brain injury stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

Not sure if this has been mentioned here, but it's a story that is brewing at the moment from Cuba.

Source: abc.net.au

Nobody knows the source of these "acoustic" attacks, only that one person reported -

Essentially the attacks are baffling experts, because

It's a really fascinating story - they think that it's either an attempt at mind control or just to harras diplomats.

I love that thought - someone built a weapon just to f*ck with someone for the craic.

What do you mean by "mind control"?

In any event, both side have a long history of making life difficult for the other side's diplomats.

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2017/09/16/world/americas/ap-cb-cuba-attacks-castros-denial.html

Academic wrote: »
    What do you mean by "mind control"?

In any event, both side have a long history of making life difficult for the other side's diplomats.

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2017/09/16/world/americas/ap-cb-cuba-attacks-castros-denial.html

At the bottom of the linked article in my OP it says -
    Some have speculated whether the Russians were experimenting with an attempt at mind control or merely trying to harass US diplomats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I remember watching a youtube video years ago. It was a company showcasing their latest products. One of which was "directional sound speakers" - you wouldn't hear a thing unless it was pointed at you. Rather cool and weird.

Well within the possibility of the US using something like that. Accordingly a lot of the "tech" we can use today is considered ten years old to what US military uses.

At the bottom of the linked article in my OP it says - Some have speculated whether the Russians were experimenting with an attempt at mind control or merely trying to harass US diplomats.

Yes, I know what you said. I'm asking what you mean by "mind control" ...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Those diplomats sure aren't havana good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

Sounds like bull$hit to me. If this is happening the US would know full well what the cause is.
    Maybe the diplomats are out partying in Havana every night of the week and trying to blame their severe rum hangovers on "mysterious noises in me room affecting me brain boss, can't come in to work today"

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Both US and Russia have been researching such weapons since the 90's. I'm guessing this is Russia showing it's hand via Cuba.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

mzungu wrote: »
    Those diplomats sure aren't havana good time.

Someone is Fidel-ing with the truth here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

"It's an unlikely weapon of war — an ultrasonic device that causes hearing loss, headaches, nausea, even mild brain injury."

That was definitely just a regular Simply Red cd.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Autistic peelp attaknig dipolmats? Gald I olny hav dislexiea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

They should try the brown noise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Nothing that a good ole tin foil hat wouldn't sort out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Desparado guitar man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Sounds like they got a phone call from Trump!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

buried wrote: »
    Sounds like bull$hit to me. If this is happening the US would know full well what the cause is.
    Maybe the diplomats are out partying in Havana every night of the week and trying to blame their severe rum hangovers on "mysterious noises in me room affecting me brain boss, can't come in to work today"

I saw this on CNN weeks ago, it's a true story.

http://edition.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017/08/10/cuba-us-diplomats-acoustic-attack-labott-sot-ath.cnn

• Advertisement

We know it's real. Didn't you bother to read the thread? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,919 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I've had that problem in shops the odd time - peacefully looking at displays then I move and get a loud blast of noise like feedback, move on a bit further and it disappears.

Maybe the fact that I wear hearing aids has something to do with it :D Amazing how totally un-interested the shops are though if I mention it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Don't like the sound of this

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Advertisement