Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early Scan

Options
  • 17-09-2017 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Interested on your views on an early scans.
    We are thinking of getting one privately around the 9 week mark as our first scan isn't due until week 13.

1) Can you see much
    2) Did you tell people after this scan or wait until your scheduled 12 week
    3) Any recommendations for private clinics on Dublin
    4) Did you get to take away a scan copy away
    5) Overall would you recommend it!?

This is our first with no history of miscarriage so it is really for reassurance only.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Jojo84 wrote: »
    We are thinking of getting one privately around the 9 week mark as our first scan isn't due until week 13.

1) Can you see much

This is our first with no history of miscarriage so it is really for reassurance only.

We had 2 in the EPU in the space of 10 days with no problems at all.

As for Dublin i'd have no idea, if Toots is looking in she can give you advice on that.

Yes you get a scan copy to keep.

I would definitely recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Jojo84 wrote: »

1) Can you see much

I had on on both pregnancies. Around the 7 week mark. Both in Merrion Fetal Clinic (which I'd recommend) but it worked out well as I was going to Holles Street so the dating was on file.

We say the heartbeat both times and also got away with abdominal scan (I know some people have to have internal at that stage!). They had screens on the wall that you could see the scan and heartbeat instead of looking at a small machine.

It was around €95 both times I think and we got pics each time. For reassurance I'd highly recommend.

I had told my parents beforehand but told my siblings/ close friends afterwards. Still waited until the booking apt at the hospital to tell inlaws and everyone else.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

:o

There are a few in Dublin - the one we went to was Ultrasound Dimensions in Blackrock. They're open til 9pm 7 days a week so usually there's not too much of a wait for an appointment.

I had one at 6 weeks because my cycles are irregular so I needed to confirm dates. At the 6 week mark, you'd see a little white blob with a flashing bit in the centre, which is the heartbeat. At 9 weeks you'd probably see something that strongly resembles a potato, but with teeny arms and legs. Heartbeat will also be visible. We told our son and our immediate families after the 6 week one, but waited until the 12 week scan for the official "announcement"

We got a photo to take home with us on the 6 week scan. Ended up in the A&E in Rotunda at 8 weeks due to a small bleed, they scanned me there too and also got a few pics, which we weren't expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

The baby isn't baby shaped but you can see/ hear a heartbeat. I got mine done in Babyscan, there are a few dotted around. I would highly recommend it. We told family between our private scan and 13 week scan. I miscarried my first so we actually didn't tell many others until I was about 18-20 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I had a 6 week, 8 week and 10 week scan. First 2 were free with our fertility clinic. As Toots says the 6 week is just a blob and it's pretty amazing to see the changes in each scan. I'd definitely recommend a scan at around 9 or 10 weeks. The wait to get to 12 weeks is painful and seeing the heart beating etc is great reassurance. We got pics at each scan and a report at the last one with babyscan.

We didn't tell anyone until after the 12 week scan at the hospital. I suppose it all depends on whether you would tell people if something happened. I don't think I would have.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I had a 6 week private scan, and had booked in for one at the end of week 9 because I was going away on hols and wanted to be sure everything was ok before I went. I still did the 9 week one even though I ended up getting one in hospital at 8 weeks :o hubby thought I was mad.

I found them hugely reassuring though, I don't think I'd have gotten to the 12 week mark without worrying myself crazy if I hadn't had the scans. I'd recently had 2 friends who had silent miscarriages and only found out at the 12 week scan, so I was really paranoid about something going wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

I had one at 8 weeks in the Rotunda. As others have said, its just a tiny blob with a flashing light. I think the measurement on ours was 14mm! But the heartbeat is really all that you're looking for! We got pictures to take away and honestly, I don't know how I would have managed to wait till 12 weeks before knowing everything was ok! If you have the money, I think it's well worth it.

This place have an offer on at the minute and an early scan is only E80. I've never used them before, so I can't say whether or not they're any good, but the ad popped up in my facebook so thought I'd mention it on here. They look to have a place in Cherrywood and one in Ballsbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've had a private scan both times early - what turned out to be 9 weeks first time out (wasn't sure on dates) and at 8 weeks this time. I like having the reassurance tbh. You can't see much but hearing the heartbeat is what's important at that stage really. We got a scan pic, but we didn't tell people until 13 weeks when we'd already had our 12 week scan/NT measurement/bloods etc done. I'm not in Ireland so my recommendation is useless to most here, but we went to the Fetal Medicine Centre in Harley Street in London both times.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭juicyduckie

I had two early scans - one to date as I hadn't had a period in between coming off the pill and getting pregnant, turned out I was almost 8 weeks and we saw the heartbeat - was such a relief and in my circumstance definitely worth the money.
    We told our parents after that scan.

Then had the Harmony test at 10 weeks inclusive of a scan and again saw and this time even heard the heartbeat. The most amazing experience of my life.

Both private early scans were at the Irish Maternal Fetal Foundation in the Beacon Sandyford.
    100% worth the money for peace of mind alone even. Would definitely recommend. x

Should also say we got loads of photos to take away, you could see loads especially at the 10 week stage as baby was a little bigger. Hearing the heartbeat was the best part though. Apart from our parents we didn't tell anyone else until the 12 week mark. x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

1) Can you see much
    I had several scans before 12 weeks due to ending up in hospital and also one with fertility clinic to get signed off from them. 6 weeks was just a blob with a heartbeat, similiar at 7 weeks. 9 weeks it was more kidney shapped and by 12 weeks it was baby shaped. Its crazy to see the difference in the few weeks.

2) Did you tell people after this scan or wait until your scheduled 12 week. We told immediate family when we found out and others after 12 weeks.

3) Any recommendations for private clinics on Dublin. Nope as we are in Galway

Yes every time

5) Overall would you recommend it!? Definitely as it can give peace of mind just remember miscarriage can still occur after getting the heartbeat, its less common but still possible. I think some think once there is a heartbeat then everything is ok but thats not the case unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I booked in for an early scan this Sat in Babyscan..

fingers crossed !

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭littlemisshobo

I found the early scan really reassuring. I had a lot of cramps early on & was nervous about ectopic pregnancy - my fears were immediately eased! /seeing the heartbeat at 6 wks was amazing for both of us.

Harmony test and scan at 10 weeks and while not full baby shape you could make most of the shape out & he was flipping up and down - the heartbeat was strong and again it was a lovely experience.

I also liked having the tests results - again to put my mind at ease. And for us knowing the gender was lovely.

I find the wait between the 12 weeks scan and 20 week scan painful :D it feels sooo long!

Hope all goes well with your scan - enjoy the amazement x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

i got the early scan this morning in Babyscan, swords!

They were lovely!

Got to hear the blobs heart beat!

Advertisement