Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locking a bicycle to my parking space?

Options
  • 17-09-2017 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hey,

So I am renting a place and there is 3 digit amount of money paid for my parking space according to the lease.

I do not own a car and was thinking how legit and OK it is to lock my bicycle at the space (with 3 u locks and an abus chain and maybe a cover) ?
    If I didn't the space would be just paid for nothing, not used at all. I don't want to sub-rent it since this is supposed to be out of the lease coverage so I am not looking for trouble.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Does the lease say you can't park a bike there?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I can't imagine that you'd get in trouble for subletting into a resident ? Stick a sign in the hallway and I'm sure one if your neighbors will take it off your hands for a monthly fee

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

ulfilas wrote: »
    Hey,

So I am renting a place and there is 3 digit amount of money paid for my parking space according to the lease.

I do not own a car and was thinking how legit and OK it is to lock my bicycle at the space (with 3 u locks and an abus chain and maybe a cover) ?
    If I didn't the space would be just paid for nothing, not used at all. I don't want to sub-rent it since this is supposed to be out of the lease coverage so I am not looking for trouble.

If your paying for it, surely you can park your bike there

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

What will you lock it to? I presume the space doesn't come with an anchor mount?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

What will you lock it to? I presume the space doesn't come with an anchor mount?

He's locking it to his parking space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 ulfilas

I can just throw an ABUS chain lock with one column of the space and 3 U Locks to put some weight.

So 4 locks , 2 ABUS and one Kryptonite.

Other solution could be to make and old bucket of cement and put the anchor there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I can just throw an ABUS chain lock with one column of the space and 3 U Locks to put some weight.

So 4 locks , 2 ABUS and one Kryptonite.

Other solution could be to make and old bucket of cement and put the anchor there.

I'm sure if you leave your bike locked in a car parking space it'll be robbed soon enough, especially if locked to nothing but a bucket of concrete. A thief will reverse a van/car up to the bike and just lift the whole thing into the back and worry about cutting it when they get home.

I don't know how secure the carpark is but I wouldn't leave any sort of decent bike out in the open like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

I don't want to sub-rent it since this is supposed to be out of the lease coverage so I am not looking for trouble.

I would hazard a guess that you are much more likely to get into bother with a management company over pouring/placing concrete than you are with your landlord over sub leasing the space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

a bike worth spending the cost of 4 U locks on is probably best kept in the apartment

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/crime-scene-photo-shows-easy-e5000-bike-stolen-dublin/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Your 4 locks are essentially only one look as the U locks are locked to the Abus chain therefore cut the chain and bike is unlocked.

As was mentioned stick up a sign in the buikdlign and sublet it.

Itemising the parking space is landlords new way of getting around the cap on rental increase

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

If all else fails get some sofasnon there and use it as a second living room :PAC:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Sheldon's solution to this problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih6YmOJnr0E

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ulfilas

Already told the ABUS chain will be round a cemented wall column and then 3 U Locks will be thrown on the bike.

My bike after its usage almost equals the price of the locks.

My parking place is secured by two gates you need a remote control to open them or you have to carry the bike to the main entrance locked after you cut the ABUS chain for a bit more meters for someone to do it with his bare hands.

So I want to use the space since I am paying it and two the bike racks that are in place in the nearby parking place are almost full with abandoned rusted bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Already told the ABUS chain will be round a cemented wall column and then 3 U Locks will be thrown on the bike...
    Yes, but what 68 lost souls is saying is that the bike can be freed by cutting the chain. The other 3 locks are not actually securing the bike to the column and could be removed at leisure later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Yes, but what 68 lost souls is saying is that the bike can be freed by cutting the chain. The other 3 locks are not actually securing the bike to the column and could be removed at leisure later.

The u locks could be on the wheels, frame and security chain. Personally, unless you have 24hr security, or security at night, I would not leave a bike of any value (say €250 upwards) in the open, in any apartment complex in Dublin or anywhere. Rich pickings for opportunists and professional theives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Park your bike there? Yeah. Good plan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-LWGJzglho

Just sublet the space like the nice folk here recommended or say bye bye to yer 2 wheeler....

Advertisement