Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The best/ scariest horror films

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

The Conjuring 2. That freaking nun!

Also the first, and original, Nightmare on Elm Street, before they cocked up the ending. What a horrible premise! I couldn't sleep for days after seeing that as a kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

That time of year again... going to try to get in a new Horror flick each evening in the run-up to Halloween.

Started off last night with: Terrifier

Gory slasher... great if you hate clowns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was half thinking it was because all the victims are clowns, but guessed otherwise. Though that would be a nice twist. Like Cherry Falls but with clowns instead of virgins. And preferably good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Hereditary was a hit for me. Very effective horror movie with great performances.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Not a horror film as such but there is a scene in Fire in the Sky, where Travis Walton is being subjected to an examination by the aliens, that never fails to give me the creeps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Not a horror film as such but there is a scene in Fire in the Sky, where Travis Walton is being subjected to an examination by the aliens, that never fails to give me the creeps.

Plus 1 on that , that film I think aired 1st in a couple of parts on Sky one it freaked the **** out of me as a child I had to sleep with the lights on for about 2 weeks afterwards uhhh still gives me the chills thinking about it

mrcheez wrote: »
    That time of year again... going to try to get in a new Horror flick each evening in the run-up to Halloween.

Started off last night with: Terrifier

Gory slasher... great if you hate clowns

saw Unsane last night, more of a B-movie psych thriller than horror but defo worth a watch as the story premise could happen to anyone. Also saw Hold the Dark night before, give it a miss.

Watched It Follows again last night, forgot how good this was. It's still creepy even having seen it before.

Child's Play night before to bring back good ol' memories of watching a pirated version on VHS when it first came out. ;)

Then I got stuck into Resident Evil Biohazard on PSVR... now we're talking true horror. Gonna probably end up playing this each evening rather than horror flick for rest of the month :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

It Follows is brilliant, and a second or later viewing really helps to pick up on a lot of details that can go un-noticed on first watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

Dunno if id classify it as a horror but I remember being unable to sleep for days after watching Threads. Testament, which came out the year before which I watched recently is another which goes for more of an emotional punch is another I would highly recommend, early Kevin Costner role.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

storker wrote: »

The Ring

Jacob's Ladder: very weird and disturbing and Elizabeth Pena is gorgeous.

Came into say The Ring. A really good film that has a lot going on in it to make it for me the best horror I've seen.

Jacob's Ladder is a bit nuts, and very good too, but the ending is pretty sweet which throws a different take on the whole film.

Classic time this eve ... Alice Sweet Alice

scared the crap outta me as a kid, and still great to this day.

Stiletto meet teeth... *shudder*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

these still chill my bones:

exorcist
    paranormal activity
    adrift

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭El Duda

Good thread. Lots of good recommendations. 

Martyrs would be my first choice. Genuinely sickening stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Not a horror film but the ending of Don't Look Now is really unnerving.

• Advertisement

Don't Go To Sleep gave me nightmares for several years as a kid. Will have to check it out again . Prob tame today ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Has anybody got a Shudder subcription? Just signed up for a free trial and looking for recommendations. Lake Mungo is one I'll definitely watch.

I watched Don't Look Now yesterday. Really good although it has taken a while to get my head round.

I really want to see Lake Mungo but it's expensive on DVD. It appears that Shudder would be the best place to see it.

I don't really have the time or money for yet another streaming service tho

El Duda wrote: »
    I watched Don't Look Now yesterday. Really good although it has taken a while to get my head round.

I really want to see Lake Mungo but it's expensive on DVD. It appears that Shudder would be the best place to see it.

I don't really have the time or money for yet another streaming service tho

Shudder do a 7 day free trial...sign up, watch Lake Mungo and then cancel 🙂

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Has anybody got a Shudder subcription? Just signed up for a free trial and looking for recommendations. Lake Mungo is one I'll definitely watch.

It looks like they've got Ryuhei Kitamura's Downrange which I've heard good things about. The Void starts slow but has a mesmerising third act. And The Love Witch is one of the most distinctive and original films I've seen in the last few years, though it's not really horror in a conventional sense. Also Timecrimes, Let The Right One In and The Happiness Of The Katakuris. They also have the full set of Phantasm films which are kinda fun, and a really good array of older stuff (Witchfinder General, Blood On Satan's Claw, the Vincent Price House On Haunted Hill, Quatermass And The Pit).

These are just off the recently added list. So plenty to get through if you've got the time :D

• Advertisement

Fysh wrote: »
    It looks like they've got Ryuhei Kitamura's Downrange which I've heard good things about. The Void starts slow but has a mesmerising third act. And The Love Witch is one of the most distinctive and original films I've seen in the last few years, though it's not really horror in a conventional sense. Also Timecrimes, Let The Right One In and The Happiness Of The Katakuris. They also have the full set of Phantasm films which are kinda fun, and a really good array of older stuff (Witchfinder General, Blood On Satan's Claw, the Vincent Price House On Haunted Hill, Quatermass And The Pit).

These are just off the recently added list. So plenty to get through if you've got the time :D

Hmm maybe I will sign up for a month when the free trial is up! Thanks ☺️

Cabin in the Woods last night. Didn't know a single thing about it before loading up and was totally taken unawares. Not too scary but a great Halloween flick if you're up for something different with some very memorable lines. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Cabin in the Woods last night. Didn't know a single thing about it before loading up and was totally taken unawares. Not too scary but a great Halloween flick if you're up for something different with some very memorable lines. :)

+1 on this, really great film and I'd recommend it to everyone.

I think one of the scariest films I've ever seen is The Woman in Black (the 1990's version that I think ITV made), it's absolutely terrifying. The version that's on Netflix is a more modern remake, I've not watched it but heard it's not bad.

Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things - not sure how easy it would be to find this but I watched it years ago and it's extremely creepy, whoever made the soundtrack was definitely dropping acid before starting work.

Xtro - this film is completely insane, not a date movie :)

Not sure if it was mentioned but the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre is very good and very unsettling.

Hellraiser 1 - very good horror film, the sequels get progressively worse though.

28 Days Later - sort of a zombie film but not really, either way it's excellent.

I think one of the scariest films I've ever seen is The Woman in Black (the 1990's version that I think ITV made), it's absolutely terrifying.

This one?

interesting, will give it a shot.

Yeah the remake with Daniel Radcliffe is pretty chilling. Seen it a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

This one?

interesting, will give it a shot.

Yeah the remake with Daniel Radcliffe is pretty chilling. Seen it a few times.

Yeah that's the one, cool I didn't realise it's on YT, will give that a watch tomorrow night to give meself the creeps :)

ETA: There's actually a play of this which I think the films were based on, think it gets run here regular enough, also supposed to be very well done.

Saw that play in London in the late 80s as a kid. Scary as hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Race with the devil
    Monkey Shines

Not a film per se, but a Netflix series: "THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE"

Just started watching this, but got seriously creeped out... very good scares

Yeah, it's really good and genuinely scary at times.

I am up to episode 6 and am finding that it has become a bit samey. It seems to be losing momentum but still enjoying it.

Episode 5 is the best so far for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Anyone been watching 'Channel Zero'?

We're on S01. Pretty good.

• Advertisement

El Duda wrote: »
    Yeah, it's really good and genuinely scary at times.

I am up to episode 6 and am finding that it has become a bit samey. It seems to be losing momentum but still enjoying it.

Episode 5 is the best so far for me.

I had a dream about the witch/ghost hovering over me ... "Alexa lights on" were pretty much my first words

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭skD13

I find bloodydisgusting.com end of year lists a great source of the scariest and most disturbing movies. Lots of little indie classics are to be found along with more mainstream fare.

It was here I found It Follows, Don't Breathe, Spring, Autopsy of Jane Doe and many more. There was a real freaky one from Turkey called Baskin that frightened the life out of me. I though Hush on Netflix was very well done too.

And as previously mentioned on here, Martyrs. Don't think I'll ever see anything so desparing again. Will scare the life out of you if you can stomach it to the end.

Martyrs made me go to bed feeling nauseous

Brrrrrrr...

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

Hereditary was a hit for me. Very effective horror movie with great performances.

Second this.

Hereditary is by the far most unsettling horror film I've seen this year. It's very similar in tone to recent hits like The Babadook, The Witch, It Follows, in how it slowly builds up the sense of dread and despair.

It then becomes relentless to the point where you just want it to be over, traumatising, but in a good way.

Has become something of a Marmite film, but if you're a fan of the genre than it's a must-watch.

Advertisement