Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny Medieval Marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ross Runner

Should of been cancelled after last years farce....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

I did the Half Marathon but due to the inadequate marshalling/lack of signs, ended up doing closer to 15 miles. It was at the junction after the turnaround on the country road that I went straight rather than left. The signs on the side of the road were marking 'Half Marathon 7 miles' so I figured I was on the right route.

I'm not normally an eejit I swear- poorly planned all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

I did the Half Marathon but due to the inadequate marshalling/lack of signs, ended up doing closer to 15 miles. It was at the junction after the turnaround on the country road that I went straight rather than left. The signs on the side of the road were marking 'Half Marathon 7 miles' so I figured I was on the right route.

I'm not normally an eejit I swear- poorly planned all round.

That's insane!!!

I actually got lucky at that turn and just happened to go the right way. I easily could have gone off on the marathon route and have been stuck doing an unwanted 26.2 miles :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

Is there a thread for last years?

This will be my first marathon, so hoping to find out if the course has improved and if it is now organised better. Also need recommendations of where to stay the night before if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Cobra1975

I wouldn't do this Marathon if it's your first time I would pick a bigger event which would be better organized. The course seems unchanged.

Cobra1975 wrote: »
    I wouldn't do this Marathon if it's your first time I would pick a bigger event which would be better organized. The course seems unchanged.

I have already entered it. I tried to get into Dublin but was unlucky in the lottery

I have done a few half marathons and have more to come. So I have seen well organised and poorly organised events already so in that respect I kind of know what to expect. But I agree this is not exactly ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭blueberrypie

My experience in 2018:

if you are happy to run against tourists/other people who do not know there is a race on just as you approach a finish line then go for it.
    Stewards were there just not telling people to mind runners as we all shared the footpath.
    Shouldered a few people as I ran against them (accidental), it was ridiculous.

that and having to shout at people for the 18 miler to turn around when you see the cone in the middle of the road.

Stewards stopping runners so traffic could have right of way!!!

Great potential with this event but more man power needed which isnt easyI know.
    I would loved to have made this an annual event with my running club where we head away for the night away but I couldn't recomend it as they would just be giving out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

My experience in 2018:

if you are happy to run against tourists/other people who do not know there is a race on just as you approach a finish line then go for it.
    Stewards were there just not telling people to mind runners as we all shared the footpath.
    Shouldered a few people as I ran against them (accidental), it was ridiculous.

that and having to shout at people for the 18 miler to turn around when you see the cone in the middle of the road.

Stewards stopping runners so traffic could have right of way!!!

Great potential with this event but more man power needed which isnt easyI know.
    I would loved to have made this an annual event with my running club where we head away for the night away but I couldn't recomend it as they would just be giving out.

Ah FFS!! I wouldn't pay a cent to run in that race.

Looks like this is still going ahead on Sept 12th

Anyone else on here enter?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Speak Now

R.F. wrote: »
    Looks like this is still going ahead on Sept 12th

Anyone else on here enter?

JJ Reddy has been cancelled so maybe they'll make a better fist of it this year if they can some more experienced marshalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Eamando1981

I'm signed up and training away for the full marathn.

after yesterdays annoucement, what's the chances of this event happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

The irony!!

The marathon where you get to share the footpath with Saturday shoppers and guess which direction to take at the roundabouts survives Covid!

I wonder what distance it comes in at.

its now cancelled unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Eamando1981

Awe well it was inevitable really afer this weeks announcement.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

R.F. wrote: »
    its now cancelled unfortunately

cancelled and now changed to a virtual event for 25e for each distance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

the signage issues persist on this course, i did the 10k and didn't know how much mileage i had done at any stage

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I read this thread on Saturday evening and was worried by what I saw.

I have to say they seem much more organised that previous years, I did the 30k and there was no issues with marshalling or having to share the road. It was a bit of a dull out and back route but a handy prep for me my upcoming marathon.

I would like to see more 30km races especially this time of year.