Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trousers help!

Options
  • 17-09-2017 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭

Hardly a major parenting issue, but where oh where can I get trousers to fit my super tall, super skinny five year old??? If they're long enough they fall down, if they fit his waist, they're up around his ankles.
    It's not really an issue with shorts, so it hasn't been a problem all summer. Now we're back to long pants, I'm looking at his bum all the time again! The ones that have strings to pull tight are useless, because he can't tie it himself after the toilet.
    Travksuits are generally ok, but I would like to have wardrobe options other than tracksuits!
    Help me please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Ruby31

My daughter has always been the same. I get her trousers and tracksuit bottoms in H&M. They're long and skinny-fit so suit her build perfectly. Not sure about the boys clothes, but maybe worth a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

I work in a preschool and see this a lot. I usually check inside the waistband and most of the jeans/trousers have an adjustable waistband. They're not obvious sometimes but look like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I'm not much help but my daughter is the same! Such long legs and skinny little waist. She lives in leggings for the most part which I don't think boys wear? Other than that she's in dresses because skirts end up around her ankles.
    Other than that I find tracksuit bottoms with elasticated waists a life saver too. We get ours in Next and H&M! Stuff from The Gap is good too.

We avoid Zara like the plague, they seem to only cater for short legs!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

fineso.mom wrote: »
    I work in a preschool and see this a lot. I usually check inside the waistband and most of the jeans/trousers have an adjustable waistband. They're not obvious sometimes but look like this.

Thanks! Some of his trousers have these, and I do tighten them, but they're often still not great! The day he stopped wearing nappies was the start of our trouble, it was never too bad before that!

I'll check H&M and gap next time im in cork. Next and m&s and dunnes are all problematic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I know. I add elastic to them, but kinda wish braces were back in fashion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

pwurple wrote: »
    I know. I add elastic to them, but kinda wish braces were back in fashion!

If it's fashion against their trousers not falling down I know which wins:)

Get them online!

If it's fashion against their trousers not falling down I know which wins:)

Get them online!

He'd never manage braces for toileting though, that's the issue I have!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Name it clothes usually have an adjustable elastic inside the waistband

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Have a boy the very same, tall and lean. I hear ya when the summer is over and you realise how tall they've grown! My fella is entering his teens now and wears adult clothes, but it can be difficult to find mens trousers in a 28in waist without super skinny legs which he doesn't like.

But growing up he did wear a lot of trackie bottoms as the elasticated waist made it easier. Plus e just found them mort comfortable, easier to manage and run about in. Most kids jeans have the adjustable waistbands though. I found H&M were great for him growing up, their clothes do run into slim fit. Penneys is worth a try, some of their clothes can be a skinny fit.

Also if you are looking for uniform, I found M&S great this year, they do skinny fit shirts & trousers and longer leg lengths. Had to order online though as my local M&S had a very small selection.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The Tesco ones have the elastic to take in the waist on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Have exactly the same problem with my 5 year old and find the trousers with the elastics inside the waist are great.
    Buy majority of his trousers in NEXT.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭AidanadiA

I've been altering my daughters' clothes since she was born. She was always so tiny but long.

I would tighten the inside waist adjuster to the tightest size, then I would add a stretched band of elastic to the inside of the waist. This would pull them tighter. Also look at how much you can let the leg down in trousers. Sometimes there's a good inch or two tucked up.

If you get really crafty you can make cuffs for the bottom his trousers, Jeans or school trousers. Some of the ideas in this are a little naff but you get the idea.

http://andreasnotebook.com/make-clothes-last-longer/

17 years later and I'm still altering her stuff. Taking it in adding panels, cuffs, turning them into cut-offs.

Advertisement