Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Selling "Buy to Let" Property

Options
  • 17-09-2017 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

So what costs are associated with selling a "Buy to Let" Property?

- Estate agent e.g. 1% + VAT
    - Solicitor
    - ????

Is there any difference or is it more expensive than when buying the property?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Capital gains if sold at a higher price than purchased for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Capital gains if sold at a higher price than purchased for.

Is that 33% on the profit less 1270 allowance?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Fkall

eddiem74 wrote: »
    So what costs are associated with selling a "Buy to Let" Property?

- Estate agent e.g. 1% + VAT
    - Solicitor
    - ????

Is there any difference or is it more expensive than when buying the property?

Estate agents fees - 1.75% plus Vat in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Fkall wrote: »

Thanks I am just looking on get a sense of all costs involved and how different from buying they will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lcwill

@eddiem74 sorry to butt in to your thread, but if anyone has experience of selling without going through an agent I would be very interested to hear.

I assume this is more common for landlords buying and selling rental properties than for individuals buying and selling their homes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Fkall wrote: »
    I paid 1% in 2016. Have they gone up?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paudgenator

What differentiates a "Buy to let" property?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

lcwill wrote: »
    @eddiem74 sorry to butt in to your thread, but if anyone has experience of selling without going through an agent I would be very interested to hear.

I assume this is more common for landlords buying and selling rental properties than for individuals buying and selling their homes

I personally would not buy a house from a seller who won't use an agent. There is literally nothing stopping phantom bidders. A lot of people can't take emotion out of selling an item owned by them. Look at buying a used car from a dealer versus someone on donedeal. The seller on donedeal is generally a nightmare to deal with

I know of a landlord who was willing to sell a house to a family friend for £240k. The family friend said no as they didn't like the ESB substation in the back. The seller put it on the market. The house sold for £400k.

Moral of the story, sellers A) don't know the real value of their property B) lack the negotiation and marketing skills to achieve top dollar

If Americans are willing to pay 3/4% to an agent to sell a house there. That says a lot about whether or not they are worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

What differentiates a "Buy to let" property?

I would say a property that was bought with the intention of renting it out so was never the PPR of the person who bought it.

Advertisement