Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Shopping Centre Athlone

Options
  • 17-09-2017 3:49pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So since Texas moved out years ago and the overall unit seems to be going into disrepair, would there be an effective use for the centre any one else could conceive of?

I was thinking, it all could be knocked and apartments built with parking. Or, the centre could be used for office spaces including Doctors and Dentist units.

An example of re-purposing unused shopping centres in the US. https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/03/a-new-life-for-dead-malls/387001/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭sharkfox

I'm surprised nobody took over the car park yet. Seems an awful waste with the state of the way some people park around there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

The Car park needs to be opened. It's not that Athlone is in a bad way for car parking yet. The Centre as I said, could be redeveloped or reused.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

I thought there was a Shaw's department store opening in there. Is that not happening?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I thought so too, but there doesn't seem to be anything going on with the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

T'would make a great helipad...........ohh wait...

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Could be utilized or revamped as a Venue for gigs/concerts perhaps?, knock out the shop units to open it up.

As far as I know there is some issue with that car park whereby wither the roof is too low or the spaces created were too small, I cant remember.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Could be utilized or revamped as a Venue for gigs/concerts perhaps?, knock out the shop units to open it up.

As far as I know there is some issue with that car park whereby wither the roof is too low or the spaces created were too small, I cant remember.

Jesus that would be an awesome idea. Athlone still has the All Ireland Amateur Drama Festival?

Lt Dan wrote: »
    Jesus that would be an awesome idea. Athlone still has the All Ireland Amateur Drama Festival?

Could always put in a few disco lights and speakers, we could have a rave, then go to Supermacs for some chips.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    Could always put in a few disco lights and speakers, we could have a rave, then go to Supermacs for some chips.

There'd be a better chance that the auld ones would fill it quicker with Nathan Carter and the likes than some some dance heads on yolkes, who are probably barred

Nah, I was thinking a proper music venue, with the proper set up , but, which half decent band would come ? Not like we are Limerick, Cork or Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I think the issue with the car park was that there wasn't the correct planning for a part of it. I agree it would be great to be open as a car park for the town. Walking distance of both shopping centres and the middle of town. A special rate or section for all day parking for workers in the town.

• Advertisement
Advertisement