Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance advice after accident

Options
  • 17-09-2017 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Ive posted in motors section but might get advice on the insurance side here.

A cyclist did a few thousand worth of damage to my car. He admitted liability and i have 2 witnesses to the accident.

Ive reported accident to my insurance company and also i called the guards at scene so all on record. Guard's were unsure what to do next they said as it is a cyclist i would have to take a civil case against him for the damage.

I need my car and at the moment i cant drive it because of the damage. What should i do next?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

How the hell did a cyclist do a couple of K worth of damage to your car???

:eek:

To answer your question, if the cyclist has a home insurance policy then that should cover them for the damage to your car under the public liability cover on the policy.

Generally home insurance would offer this as a standard benefit for instances where a policy holder did damage or injured someone while golfing, playing sport etc.

Presume you have their details?

Ring your insurer tomorrow and ask their advice.

Most likely they will get the repairs done then seek a recovery from the individuals insurer (if they have one)

Be forewarned though, something like this will likely take a long time to settle if going that route so you could end up with an open claim hanging over you and a loss of bonus until the claim was settled in your favour.

Your insurer are best equipped to sort this out for you.

Failing that, all you can do is hire a solicitor that is familiar with public liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭shot2go

I know im shocked at the damage too. He was cycling on footpath along a dual carriageway decided to join traffic but was watching traffic approaching him from the left instead of the right - he was only after getting the bike and got confused with our roads and the ones at home. Tried to avoid him but he hit the side of my car. Smashed light wingmirror 2 passenger doors damaged - one is not too bad but other is pretty bad. Window damage and few other bits. Wasn't going fast - speed limit it 30mph there and there was traffic. Have 2 witnesses and called guards. Cyclist admitted fault and said we saved his life by spotting him on time and trying to avoid him and im glad hes ok but im not sure what i should so next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

shot2go wrote: »
    .....cyclist admitted fault and said we saved his life......

In which case I'm sure they won't be averse to coughing up for your repairs, seeing as it was their life you saved and all!!.

Advertisement