Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did you light the fire yet?

• 17-09-2017 7:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭

I usually hold off until October but I think it's cooler than usual for Sept so put it down last night.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

No, I've put the central heating on a couple of times though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Nope, still quite warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I usually hold off until October but I think it's cooler than usual for Sept so put it down last night.

Everything is early this year. There were things growing in February that usually don't happen until early may.. the blackberries were out in early august.. last night was a couple of degrees off frost. I'd expect spring to start in December this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

Nope, still quite warm.

Yep been lit for a week at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I'm a hipster, I put on the oven and leave the door open to heat the house

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Lit it twice this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I live in a warm well insulated new house so I wouldn't usually light the fire until at least mid November. However I have put on the heating once or twice only for about an hour or so the last few nights but tonight has been fairly mild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

screamer wrote: »
    Yep been lit for a week at this stage.
    Fair play. Will be spending a good chunk of the forth coming week splitting wood and stocking a shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Lit the sitting room stove on Friday & Saturday night,

The next has been kicking the heating on the last week or so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Don't have one to light, and will try to avoid using the heating until October if I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Put the heating on last night, on the timer

Thought no more about it

Then got a pleasant surprise with a towel hot off the radiator after my shower this morning, lovely bit of comfort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Not yet. The oil has been on for an hour or so yesterday and today but, much as I like my fire, it's just not cold enough yet. And the temperatures are to rise next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I lit a fire..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

No I need the chimney swept. Waaaaahhhhh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Chester Copperpot

Saw smoke coming from the next door neighbours yesterday but it was just his outdoor incinerator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Lit it last night, lit it tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I can't even be arsed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Lit it three nights last week and about to light it again now. I'll only keep it going for an hour or so and let it out again to get rid of the chill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Been noticeably colder the last few days than what you'd normally expect for mid-September. Hopefully it'll get milder again because this carry on will be expensive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Not yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭wally1990

Lit t tonight for first time in about 2 years haha
    ''Tis lovely , missed it alright
    Few beers fire and the darts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

No just the heating for now , refuse to light fire in September usually mid October!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Don't have a fire but been putting the heating on for the past 2 weeks..

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

No fireplace in this hobbit hole. Our heating is controlled by the guy in the top flat so it's been on in the evening a bit for the last few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I tried to but it keeps smoking. Think I need the chimney cleaned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

how are ye keeping the house aired and not damp. we light the fire 95% of the year. in the summer its only enough to heat the cylinder and air the hot press. once a week in the summer we would heat the house to air it, usually in the morning so its cooled off by the time we will be back inside

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

I've lit mine on an almost nightly basis since the last few weeks. That's it for the fine weather now :rolleyes:
    I've a Stanley range so I also get hot water from it and 9/10 I cook on it as well. The way that yoke eats fuel I try to get as much use out of it as possible when it's lit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I've a well insulated house so usually get well into October without the need for heat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I don't have a fire but I haven't had the heating on either. In fact, I had my tower fan on for a good while all week. (I think there's something wrong with my internal bodily temperature controller.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

House is well-insulated and south facing. It's still about 25 degrees inside with no heating on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Haven't even put the winter duvet on yet although debating that one, was cool enought yesterday but today was lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Yes it's lit. It's also handy for heating the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I put the central heating on last night at 11pm for an hour. I didn't want the dog to be cold going to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

It's a gas fire so haven't 'lit the fire' as such, but did put it on for a couple of hours on Friday night and again last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Been lighting it all week and have the heating on as well.

Always a downer when it finally happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Neames

I think there's a nest in our chimney (over the Summer a few small birds appeared in our stove), so need to get the chimney cleaned first.

As soon as that's done, the fire will be lit. Love a nice toasty room and a good movie or some good music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

No. I refuse to give in and embrace winter in September. I have put central heating on though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Mine is automated, floors will heat themselves whenever it gets too cold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

With my wife, the fire is lit most of the year, during our yearly week of summer, we might not have it on, but otherwise it's on 2-3 evenings a week all summer long and will be lit everyday starting soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I cleaned the chimney last week, my wife has fire lit every evening since, even tonight when it really wasn't needed.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

We light ours in the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

how are ye keeping the house aired and not damp. we light the fire 95% of the year. in the summer its only enough to heat the cylinder and air the hot press. once a week in the summer we would heat the house to air it, usually in the morning so its cooled off by the time we will be back inside

You're confusing a cave with a house.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I don't have a fireplace in my apartment.:(

But last week one evening was chilly so I put the gas central heating on for the first time since March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Always have the heating on, year round. Usually an hour before we get up and an hour in the evenings unless it's abnormally warm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

21 fcuking degrees outside (was 29 earlier). Aircon on as I'm in the attic apartment. And it's nearly midnight here in Toronto.

Roll on cooler climates!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭bobbyss

'Put it down'. It's not often you hear that phrase!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

We use no oil or gas, the stove is our central heating and along with solar panels heats the water too.
    Have been lighting up some days for a few hours for the past two weeks. Had it on for 2 hours last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

No I need the chimney swept. Waaaaahhhhh.

baed807ded033c9d57972a985a06af2a--kenneth-williams-classic-quotes.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Madnash

The fires been lit most of the year. The heating will be on now until may or April. Our house used to only use electric heaters, they would be on for 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

You're confusing a cave with a house.

80s bungalow , double glazed windows, pumped cavity, insulated attic.
    if you didn't light the fire for a week you would feel the damp in the bed rooms, your clothes would start to get damp.

I cant believe people here don't heat their houses for another 2 months.

• Advertisement
Advertisement