Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Marathon 2018

Options
  • 17-09-2017 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

Hi there,

Does anyone know about the qualifying times for New York Marathon ......are times you run in Irish races applicable ? If so does anyone know the process or had experience of getting in in this way ?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

tomred1N wrote: »
    Hi there,

Does anyone know about the qualifying times for New York Marathon ......are times you run in Irish races applicable ? If so does anyone know the process or had experience of getting in in this way ?

thanks

Some good advice on this page: http://runarweb.com/nycm_advice_e.php

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hi there,

thanks

https://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/plan-your-race/run-in-2018/2018-time-qualifying-standards

If you've run the qualifying time in a non-NYRR race (e.g. an Irish race) you still enter via the normal lottery draw. Apparently when your time is verified (within a few weeks) you will be allocated a spot on a first-come, first-served basis. I'm not sure that this means in practice, but I'm guessing it's in your interests to apply as soon as possible. Entry opens today, Jan 15th at 5pm Irish time.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

Murph_D wrote: »
    https://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/plan-your-race/run-in-2018/2018-time-qualifying-standards

If you've run the qualifying time in a non-NYRR race (e.g. an Irish race) you still enter via the normal lottery draw. Apparently when your time is verified (within a few weeks) you will be allocated a spot on a first-come, first-served basis. I'm not sure that this means in practice, but I'm guessing it's in your interests to apply as soon as possible. Entry opens today, Jan 15th at 5pm Irish time.

Thanks Murph_D

I entered anyway and put in my qualifying time (5 seconds under! ) I'm more interested in this one for the doing of it and the excuse of trip rather than bursting a gut there but if I do get in I'll probably change my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Thanks Murph_D

I entered anyway and put in my qualifying time (5 seconds under! ) I'm more interested in this one for the doing of it and the excuse of trip rather than bursting a gut there but if I do get in I'll probably change my mind.

go onto booking.com or one of the hotel sites and book a hotel that is cancel-able. They shoot up in price when the ballot results are released. If you don't get in you can cancel the hotel. I ended up with a tiny airbnb last year, it was ideal but expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭purelike

Does anyone know is it possible to defer your entry (ie. can one apply to the lottery this year, and then if accepted defer to the 2019 NYCM)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

purelike wrote: »
    Does anyone know is it possible to defer your entry (ie. can one apply to the lottery this year, and then if accepted defer to the 2019 NYCM)?

Yes you can, but you have to pay again next year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I've applied for this. Think 27% of Internationals got it last year through lottery so chances not great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭joey1111

Did anyone get into the race via the draw. Looks like I didnt.
    I was hoping to make a holiday out of it but looks like I havnt been lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭The Davestator

No joy for me either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭joey1111

Out of curiousity I sent off a request about prices from a tour operator:

2018 TCS NEW YORK CITY MARATHON TOUR
    TOUR COSTS ARE PER PERSON

Tour costs below include:

* Flights * Accommodation at the Westin New York Grand Central Hotel
    * Return Airport Transfers (see applicable dates)
    * Guaranteed Marathon Entry
    * Private Coach from Hotel to Race Start
    * Celebration Dinner
    * Travel Insurance
    * Guide Services.

RUNNER COST euro
    Twin/Double sharing 5 nights €2,416 / 4 nights €2,246 / per extra night €170
    Single Room 5 nights €3,316 / 4 nights €2,966 / per extra night €350
    Triple (2 beds only) 5 nights €2,216 / 4 nights €2,086 / per extra night €130
    Quad (2 beds only) 5 nights €2,101 / 4 nights €1,994 / per extra night €107

NON-RUNNERS euro
    Twin/Double sharing 5 nights €1,818 / 4 nights €1,648 / per extra night €170
    Single Room 5 nights €2,718 / 4 nights €2,368 / per extra night €350
    Triple (2 beds only) 5 nights €1,618 / 4 nights €1,488 / per extra night €130
    Quad (2 beds only) 5 nights €1,503 / 4 nights €1,396 / per extra night €107

• Advertisement

I’m in on the GFA.

No luck on ballot for anyone I know, although I hear boardsie Calvin Johnson was lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

I am in on GFA

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

I’m in on the GFA.

No luck on ballot for anyone I know, although I hear boardsie Calvin Johnson was lucky.

Yeah I got in via the ballot, still can't believe it. 4th year in a row of applying, checked it loads yesterday and just kept saying "in drawing". Went to sleep fully expecting the rejection in the morning but woke up to an email saying I was in.

Better get training as soon as the snow clears.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Managed to get into this marathon as well as Berlin, having better luck in the race lotteries than the national lottery :) Looking forward to this!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

I’m in on the GFA.

Yeah I got in via the ballot, still can't believe it. 4th year in a row of applying, checked it loads yesterday and just kept saying "in drawing". Went to sleep fully expecting the rejection in the morning but woke up to an email saying I was in.

Better get training as soon as the snow clears.
    Ah, Jaysus, you have a few months to go yet!! The snow will surely have cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Looking for advice from someone who has done this one before as to the best transport option to the start? Bus or Ferry? Pros and cons? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Looking for advice from someone who has done this one before as to the best transport option to the start? Bus or Ferry? Pros and cons? Cheers.

I got the ferry to Staten Island. We were staying in Brooklyn so got an early train into Manhattan, which left us close enough to the ferry terminal. It was fairly jammers so I missed the ferry I had booked, but I got the next one and it was fine. There are buses outside the ferry terminal on Staten Island and they’ll get you to the start line. Its normally very cold at the start so rob the blanket you get on the plane over and bring it with you to the start :)

Depending on the weather you might need a good bit more than a plane blanket. This was the top tip for me looking back on it
    I had two old sweaters that I ditched and even though it wasn't a cold year as such I remember being just on the right side of chilly. As for ferry and shuttle bus, yep, safest option I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

Bus from Manhattan is probably a better option, there was horrendous queues after getting off the ferry on Staten Island for the bus to Fort Wadsworth last year

In case people are not aware (I wasn’t, as I’d missed the email until FBOT’s reminder) the opportunity to choose transport option opens this week, from tomorrow (Thurs) afternoon on the NYRR site. Not sure how long the window will be open, but I’d imagine earlier is better!

• Advertisement

Last few weeks now. Going reasonably well for me. How’s everyone else doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Last few long runs have gone well for me, hoping to bounce back after a disappointing berlin

All my body parts still seem to be working so with 4 weeks to go I'll take that. Peak week this week so if I can say the same next Monday I'll be chuffed and start thinking about the race itself.

Seems like a quiet thread here so if it only Murpd_D, Nuttzz and me heading over from these parts?

All my body parts still seem to be working so with 4 weeks to go I'll take that. Peak week this week so if I can say the same next Monday I'll be chuffed and start thinking about the race itself.

Seems like a quiet thread here so if it only Murpd_D, Nuttzz and me heading over from these parts?

Looks like it's only the 3 of us so. Won't need a table to track this one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Have the tracker ready to go already M!!

Yeah, but Bib numbers are handy for the rest of us. I'm a bit of a tracking nerd.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Have the tracker ready to go already M!!

:) See you Sunday.
    Itziger wrote: »
    Yeah, but Bib numbers are handy for the rest of us. I'm a bit of a tracking nerd.

2863 for me

Bib 9015 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

FBOT 5k - 22.29
    Murph_D 5k - 24.12

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    FBOT 5k - 22.29
    Murph_D 5k - 24.12

What are they hoping for, do you know?