Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potted red robin tree with drooping leaves

Options
  • 17-09-2017 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi

I bought a large (5-6ft) red robin tree during the summer but never planted it. I moved to a large pot (18cm wide) and gave it a good feed of plant food. But the leaves have been drooping the last few weeks. Am unsure whether I should plant now as the winter approaches or leave it in the pot until the spring?

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

An 18cm pot would still be very small for a tree/shrub of that size - do you mean 18 inches? It probably dried out at some point and is now under a lot of stress. I'd plant it out asap and keep it well watered. Don't feed it at all - just water, especially if we have a dry autumn. It might survive but you won't know until next summer. A lot of struggling shrubs do sprout in spring but then exhaust themselves. Keep it well watered as soon as any growth appears. It may also need to be staked to stop it rocking in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 pmf84

Thanks for the info lottpaul

Yes 18 inches! I'll plant it so and hope for the best! :)
    lottpaul wrote: »
    An 18cm pot would still be very small for a tree/shrub of that size - do you mean 18 inches? It probably dried out at some point and is now under a lot of stress. I'd plant it out asap and keep it well watered. Don't feed it at all - just water, especially if we have a dry autumn. It might survive but you won't know until next summer. A lot of struggling shrubs do sprout in spring but then exhaust themselves. Keep it well watered as soon as any growth appears. It may also need to be staked to stop it rocking in the wind.

Advertisement