Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT inspection on a classic, any tips?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭w124man

unkel wrote: »
    VRT appointment booked for 09/10/2017. Have full V5C document and the VIN on the document matches the vin on the car. Also have ferry ticket with the car reg on it. I have a recent utility bill in my name with my address on it and I'll bring €200 to VRT it and I'll bring my driving license with my name and address on it. Do I need to bring anything else?

That's a lovely car. Sublime M103 six cylinder engine. Just make sure it has MB plugs, dissy cap and rotor now that the weather is turning on us. They can be hard to start if cheap ignition parts have been used.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Previous owner was a doctor who had the car for 17 years. First owner was a doctor too. The bills are unreal, one for GBP 6,300 and plenty of other 4 figure bills!

Straight 6 engine is super smooth. I couldn't get over how quiet it is, and I am used to smooth inline sixes from BMW.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

unkel wrote: »
    Previous owner was a doctor who had the car for 17 years. First owner was a doctor too. The bills are unreal, one for GBP 6,300 and plenty of other 4 figure bills!

Straight 6 engine is super smooth. I couldn't get over how quiet it is, and I am used to smooth inline sixes from BMW.

Time for a Boards classics meetup? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

PauloMN wrote: »
    Time for a Boards classics meetup? :)

I'll bring the G Wagen.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

I am going to be in the same boat (!) in a couple of weeks time.

Bought my classic on Saturday, going over to collect it in a couple of weeks, VRT booked for a few days later.

Mine's a 1957 Ford 100E - more a car to be enjoyed for the ambience rather than the performance!

All of the stuff on this thread has been very helpful, thanks.

C635

• Advertisement

Just to update the thread, I presented the car on Sunday.
    I had a letter from the revenue with my address and pps number on it, my drivers license, the hand written receipt from the seller in the UK, the full V5 and my ferry booking confirmation with the car's reg number on the booking.

The inspector had a quick look to check the chassis and body numbers matched, which the did.

He then informed me that I would have to wait a few days to get a valuation from the revenue, even though it will be e200 as it's over 30 years old. He said it was because the car isn't on the system.

Once I'm told they have the valuation, I can call into the VRT office and pay the e200 and get my reg number.
    I had to specify I wanted ZV instead of a year reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Thanks for the update.

I believe that even if a car is on the system - and you chose a year reg, you have to call back. If you chose a ZV they can issue it there-and-then. I had personal experience of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Silvera wrote: »
    Thanks for the update.

I believe that even if a car is on the system - and you chose a year reg, you have to call back. If you chose a ZV they can issue it there-and-then. I had personal experience of this.

I got issued 85 MH there and then when registering at my VRT.

Another update, the nct called me today and said they had the vrt amount I had to pay. It was €200 as we all knew.

I called into the centre and paid it, I was then given my ZV reg and details on how to tax it online.

Now here's an interesting one. There was a German guy ahead of me who was also vrt-ing a classic. He was told it was €200 and to pay it as that amount could change in the near future.

I did hear a couple of years ago that the revenue were considering bringing in a higher rate for sporting classics or cars of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

Neilw wrote: »
    A There was a German guy ahead of me who was also vrt-ing a classic. He was told it was €200 and to pay it as that amount could change in the near future.

That may have been due to a fine being imposed. If a foreign vehicle is in the country longer than it should have been, it will incur a fine when you do go to VRT it.

The fine is often ignored in the case of vintage vehicles (as it would be so small due to the €200 flat rate), but it can be imposed if they wanted to as they can calculate the rate based on the VRT rate at the time the car came in. I understand that in practice they rarely do this. Each vehicle is taken on a case by case basis

I think it is something like .01% per day or something?

• Advertisement
Advertisement