Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bobby "The Brain" Heenan RIP

• 17-09-2017 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭

The greatest manager/commentator has passed at 73.

https://twitter.com/JRsBBQ/status/909544054941036544

The news of Bobby "The Brain" Heenan's passing today gutted me.

I loved our time together.

No one ever did it better than the Wease.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,819 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Another one of the greats gone

Rip

Heard he was in a bad way for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,300 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ah **** it. The brian and gorilla are now reunited at the commentary table in the sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Sad to hear loved watching the Brain and Gorilla growing up.

Have been watching a lot of his work the last month or so what a guy could listen to him all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/909549502255603713
    Bobby Heenan just passed away a few hours ago. He was the best ever at what he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Damn loved him so much growing up, especially his time with Mr Perfect, very sad to hear this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Very sad to hear this. RIP to one of the greatest commentators of all time and THE greatest manager of all time.

He was an amazing manager with nick bockwinkel and his commentary call at the 1992 royal rumble will go down in history as one of the best in history. It certainly wasn't fair to flair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Grew up watching the Brain, the ''one of the greats'' line gets bandied around all to often for my liking but not this time, he is genuinely one of the greatest, managing, commentating, or his comedic sketches, he was just brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,819 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Was it him that started crying when Hogan won the title on his WCW Debut ???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

One of the greatest commentators of all time. His pain is over but he will never be forgotten. R.I.P. Bobby :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I remember the Gimic battle royal at WM17, he was great on commentary with mean gene that night, i think when the shiek walked out, he said by the time he makes it to the ring, it'll be wrestlemania 38, ha

The prime time wrestling on the network just shows how good he was. How gorilla monsoon kept it together I'll never know. Booby heenan was gold on a mic.

His hall of fame speech in 2004 where he said the WWF and it was bleeped out and then went on to talk about WWF wildlife with a weasel sitting next to a gorilla doing commentary was just gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

The greatest of "Heal" Managers of all time!!! R.I.P. Weasel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

"Jannetty tried to dive through the window to escape!" RIP "The Brain".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭greasepalm

thanks for the memory. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

How good was Heenan?

-When they wanted a man who had the brains to turn Andre heed and to get up th main event for the sports biggest ever card, Wrestlemania 3.
    -When they needed a man who could take the IC belt off of Ultimate Warrior.
    -When they needed a man who could outtalk Ric Flair and get him super over.
    -Hell, when they needed to get a cockerel over or to feud with a wrestlers imaginary mother but only one many could do it.

That man was The Brain. The man who managed like a wrestler and wrestled like a manager. But asides from a manager but he was the most fun commentator to ever work on TV, a broadcast journalist as he would claim to be.

Rest in peace, Ham n Eggers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Simply the best commentator and manager ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    He was an amazing manager with nick bockwinkel and his commentary call at the 1992 royal rumble will go down in history as one of the best in history. It certainly wasn't fair to flair.

Second only to when he called out that coward Marty Janetty for jumping through the barbershop window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I find the HOF inductions to be emotional at the best of times. Especially when people are talking about their fallen brothers and sisters. When Heenan simply said "I was Monsoon was here" I nearly lost it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I was really saddened to hear about Heenan's death. Great manager and commentator.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

You could not script a guy to be, or feed a guys to sound like Bobby Heenan. Through his natural wit he made a show better be that on commentary or as a manager. He is both the best color commentator and manager there has been imo. He had a terrible battle with cancer so his passing is not a surprise but still his is a name i didn't want to hear. RIP Bobby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

An absolute legend. So many awesome one-liners with his commentary.

One of the funniest that I always remember is from his HOF speech is when he goes to excuses his voice (post throat cancer). He lined it up all humble with everyone knowing exactly what he was going to say.

BH: "Please forgive my voice, I had.........*long pause*....a really wedgie backstage".

It's always beautiful when you see a talent having their "moment" with a HOF induction. I think nobody was more proud or had more fun than Bobby. He had a blast and looked/felt 50 foot tall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

only seeing this now im devastated loved the brain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The Marty Jannety comment infuriated me as a kid watching it.
    I'd completely blocked that out until reading tributes today and I properly lol'd.

What a genius.

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

What a guy. He's pain free at last. I never understood how anyone could like Bobby as a kid, but as I grew older, I began to understand. "The Brain" was a great name, truly accurate. How he came up with his one liners so quickly, I'll never know.

He was an awesome manager as well as commentator. I'm really looking forward to the inevitable Heenan collection that WWE will add to the Network.

RIP Weasel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

How I hated Heenan as a kid. He was basically the devil. This was compounded for me when he introduced the newest members of The Heenan Family - The Islanders. I was gutted. They were such nice guys. But he brain washed them. How could they? How could he?

I assumed as a kid he was just a nasty jerk because he was a nasty jerk on tv. And I hated him for it.

Only as I became "smart" did I realise the guys utter genius as a manager and personality.

By all accounts he was a gent in real life so he will be missed. He had a long and painful battle so in that sense it is probably a relief that the suffering is over.

RIP to The Weasel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Great entertainer, no matter what he did. Huge loss.

Is there anyone on today's roster that may have worked with him that we could see a tribute from? One thing WWE does well is tribute packages. It'll be similar to his HOF package but it'll be well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Late notice but we're live tweeting the Rumble 92 match (just the match from the Network timestamp) as a tribute at @HashtagLowBlows from 9pm if anyone wants to join in the nostalgia.

Advertisement