Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Graham Souness on Irish TV

• 18-09-2017 5:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭

Why would someone like Souness do Irish TV as a panelist? He flies into Dublin midweek and returns to the UK the following day presumably. The man is a millionaire I would have thought. Why would he need all the hassle? For what? Does he actually need the fee from TV3 ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

bobbyss wrote: »
    Why would he need all the hassle?

People with this attitude will never be millionaires. Millionaires never have enough. It may not be a lot of money compared to what he has (I really don't know) but it's income and if you don't have income then you'll always be worried about spending money. It keeps him ticking over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭bobbyss

People with this attitude will never be millionaires. Millionaires never have enough. It may not be a lot of money compared to what he has (I really don't know) but it's income and if you don't have income then you'll always be worried about spending money. It keeps him ticking over.

I don't know how much he's worth but presumably he's not short of a few bob at any rate. What's striking about Souness is that he already works with Sky and maybe the BBC as well. It is like Conor MacGregor doing a commentary for Latvia TV on Wed night coming back on Thursday. I take your point about never having enough and so on. I can't see how TV3 making it worth his time given his wealth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I'm frothing at the mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

bobbyss wrote: »
    It is like Conor MacGregor doing a commentary for Latvia TV on Wed night coming back on Thursday.

I didn't know Conor McGregors girlfriends family were all from Latvia!
    Because Souness's wife's family are all from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

He probably isn't actually a millionaire or not filthy rich anyway. He has something like 8 kids from two different marriages which will soak up a fair bit of cash and presumably he would like to leave them something.

He probably just sees TV3 as an extremely cushy pay day and a quiet night away from the wife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Not really hard work by anyone's standards though is it? Doubt he does any research at all, other than maybe watching the odd game.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Whenever I listen to that moron Souness I am always remindednof this incident, which resulted in a Fenerbache fan committing murder a week later.
    Souness has no place on TV.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/football/video-1006290/Souness-plants-Galatasaray-flag-enrages-Fenerbahce-fans.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

He does it because it's easy money and he gets to mouth off about football on the telly as opposed from a barstool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

As we seen with our good friend George Hook, you're only a sentence away from offending somebody and getting sacked.

His career skills are limited to football so rake it in as much as you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

It's pretty knowledgeable compared to the like of Gary Neville and Henry who are are desperate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

I'm curious if this is what led him to losing the gig with RTE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Souness lost his fortune in a badly judged spin of the roulette wheel in Reno back in 02, and is now on the dole, while doing the odd nixer cleaning windows and gutters here and there for cash.

The commentary gig over here suits him, cos the U.K authorities don't see our channels, so his cash for commentary work stays under the radar, but apparently he's pretty close to finally having squirrelled away enough for a power washer from Argos.

This time next year Graham will be blasting oil stains from peoples drive ways , or freshening up back yards and patio areas just in time for their BBQs and garden party's held over the summer season.

It'll be easy street for Graham. You'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Greatest ever Liverpool legend - don't make em like that no more, the man can do what he wants - pay him more money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

It's the same with Kilbane he is always on something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,636 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    It's pretty knowledgeable compared to the like of Gary Neville and Henry who are are desperate.

Whatever about Henry, he can't hold a candle to Neville for analysis. The main problem I have with Souness is he just can't remain unbiased in his analysis at all. He doesn't even try.

His current obsession with Pogba is fairly ludicrous as well. Pogba went off injured against Basel around the 20th minute of the game. There was 70 minutes played without pogba on the pitch and United won fairly comfortably 3-0.

Souness proceeds to go on about Pogba being poor and even produces a little video clip package that shows very little of pogba actually being poor. It made no sense to even highlight any of that over what happened in the rest of the game apart from the fact Souness wanted to.

Now I'm sure it's a little segment that the "anyone but united" viewers loved but in terms of actual significance to the game it was pointless really.

His inability to remain impartial means he's a couple of levels below the likes of Neville and Carragher in punditry. Hell I'd even put up with that biased opinion of his if he actually said something interesting every now and again but all he ever comes across as is a grumpy old man who's getting more and more grumpy as the years go by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,675 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

brilou23 wrote: »
    It's the same with Kilbane he is always on something.

Yeah. Why would one of the most capped Irish players of all time be on Irish TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Probably just feels a need to keep his face in the game?

After all, it might be hassle to get on flights to come over to Dublin, but he's getting paid for it, all expenses covered, free hotel, meals, drink etc. Bit o' craic.

Its a lot better than being in management. He has proved he is no good at that already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Whenever I listen to that moron Souness I am always remindednof this incident, which resulted in a Fenerbache fan committing murder a week later.
    Souness has no place on TV.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/football/video-1006290/Souness-plants-Galatasaray-flag-enrages-Fenerbahce-fans.html

Yes....Souness planting a flag is the reason a nutter kills someone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He has probably won more silverware than any other pundit who has appeared on Irish TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Where did the Soccer Forum go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

He travels to Dublin and back again, so what, it's just as easy for him to get there from an airport in London (or wherever it is he lives, used to be Edinburgh but he's moved on).

These guys are on everything though, if you were watching a stream showing Al Jazeera they'd have a mix of lads from Sky, BBC and BT in their London studios. Its a cushy job, anything to avoid the likes of Steve Nicol and Shaka Hislop living in Connecticut or some other lad stuck out in Malysia doing punditry.

I preferred his early work, when he still had the 'tache :rolleyes:

Advertisement