Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asian Supermarket around Dundrum, Clonskeagh?

Options
  • 18-09-2017 7:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

As per title, does anyone know if there is an asian supermarket around the Dundrum or Clonskeagh area? I used to go to the one in Rathmines but I don't have time to get there after work and the dinner ingredients aren't at home :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

Beside stillorgan shopping centre, in that row of shops where the blood donor clinic is.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

crisco10 wrote: »
    Beside stillorgan shopping centre, in that row of shops where the blood donor clinic is.

this one stays open late enough too, google says till 8.30pm, not sure about that but I have been after 7pm. Hate these businesses that close at 6pm or before. Probably open at 9am too and wonder where all the customers are!

Out of the way for OP but the one in blackrock market opens daily until late too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

rubadub wrote: »
    this one stays open late enough too, google says till 8.30pm, not sure about that but I have been after 7pm. Hate these businesses that close at 6pm or before. Probably open at 9am too and wonder where all the customers are!

Out of the way for OP but the one in blackrock market opens daily until late too.

Off topic but I agree. If there was an independent butchers open until 8pm they'd make a killing.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭cobham

Also shop inside mosque in clonskeagh

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Worth noting if you've never gone looking but Dunnes and Tesco do a reasonable selection of Asian food these days. Picked up a tin of kaffir lime leaves in Cornelscourt the other day.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    Worth noting if you've never gone looking but Dunnes and Tesco do a reasonable selection of Asian food these days. Picked up a tin of kaffir lime leaves in Cornelscourt the other day.

It can depend on the area, my tesco has an "asian supermarket section" no Polish section though. I know a guy and his one is the exact opposite, lots of polish in his area. Most things in the tesco one are greatly overpriced, some are on a par with the asian shops though.

Must check dunnes.

It can depend on the area .....

+1 I've only ever looked in Dunnes Cornelscourt and Tesco Bloomfield and they both had a decent selection of Asian food. I'd expect Tesco in Stillorgan SC to have an expanded range of food when the current building work is completed so they should be worth checking out also.

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 I've only ever looked in Dunnes Cornelscourt
    where is the section in cornelscourt? is it with the other "normal" asian stuff, like uncle bens etc? its a big old shop...

In my tesco it is at the end of an aisle, near enough to coconut milks. It used to have quite unrelated stuff around it, and is nowhere near the likes of uncle bens. I have seen a few surprised looking faces when they discovered it.

Was in cornelscourt, was not that impressed. I had not heard of most of the brands and many were in small sizes.

I was in since the new butchers etc went in but had not seen the newest layout. Did not like it at all, its like a maze. I could not even tell you where the asian section was, somewhere around the middle, and there were other regular brands beside it, like sharwoods etc.

Tesco had a lot more brands I see in asian supermarkets.

Was in cornelscourt, was not that impressed. I had not heard of most of the brands and many were in small sizes.

I was in since the new butchers etc went in but had not seen the newest layout. Did not like it at all, its like a maze. I could not even tell you where the asian section was, somewhere around the middle, and there were other regular brands beside it, like sharwoods etc.

Cornelscourt is topsy-turvy for the past few months, they're still doing the renovations in the grocery section. Probably could have done it in a fortnight if they closed the place but obviously that's a non-starter so those big ugly shelf racks keep moving around and nothing is in the same place two weeks running. They've even employed a few extra people to wander the aisles to help people who get lost!

As with Tesco in Stillorgan SC, give it a few more weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Slightly off topic, but the Filipino shop on lower George's Street Dun Laoghaire, sell a wonderful little bag of fresh turmeric roots for a mere €1.00. Also sell bags of the Pakistani Green chillies also just a €1.00.

Chinasea wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but the Filipino shop on lower George's Street Dun Laoghaire, sell a wonderful little bag of fresh turmeric roots for a mere €1.00. Also sell bags of the Pakistani Green chillies also just a €1.00.

that is a decent enough shop. It is where knowles electric used to be, across from the old library.

The street view still has the old toy shop signs up but full of asian stuff.

https://goo.gl/maps/YfK1dMw5K7N2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Yeap, that is it. So much moaning about shops in Dun Laoghaire, and yet we have great little independent shops like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Chinasea wrote: »
    Yeap, that is it. So much moaning about shops in Dun Laoghaire, and yet we have great little independent shops like this.

there's a decent Asian grocer at the other end as well, under the Jewel in the Crown.

'Get Fresh', the fruit & veg. shop roughly opp. Grange Motors (Mercedes) in Deansgrange has a decent selection of Asian foods.

Advertisement