Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling and Swollen Ankle

Options
  • 18-09-2017 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭

Anybody ever get a swollen ankle that is brought on through cycling but is not a problem when cycling itself... cycling if anything loosens the ankle but the swelling comes back more the following day ?

If so what was the fix ? Been cycling for years and this is the first I've seen of this problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Gonna need to get a physio qualification, take a medical history, and see that ankle in person before I can give you a useful answer, I'm afraid.

:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are you sure the issue is caused by, rather than being aggravated by, the cycling? especially if you're an experienced cyclist.

anyway, usual caveat about not being able to give medical advice beyond seeking professional help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Seek advice from a GP
    but things like this tend to be due to changes - if not medical, then question any changes you have made: shoes, cleats, pedals, saddle height, bike ! and you may find a source.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Seek advice from a GP
    but things like this tend to be due to changes - if not medical, then question any changes you have made: shoes, cleats, pedals, saddle height, bike ! and you may find a source.

Yes thanks, had been considering these types of things. Use 2 shoes but have been interchanging between them for a while without problems. Notice on one pair that cleat positions had become different (due to slippage presumably) on each foot. Have not used that pair for a few days but the problem still persists.

The doctor route is always an option but you know in your heart and soul that most GPs will be scratching their heads. You're then into scans which means hospital waiting etc. So its always nicer when these things go away be themselves which in many cases they do.

The post has more to see if anybody else here has had similar issues, what they did and how it played out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Yes thanks, had been considering these types of things. Use 2 shoes but have been interchanging between them for a while without problems. Notice on one pair that cleat positions had become different (due to slippage presumably) on each foot. Have not used that pair for a few days but the problem still persists.

The doctor route is always an option but you know in your heart and soul that most GPs will be scratching their heads. You're then into scans which means hospital waiting etc. So its always nicer when these things go away be themselves which in many cases they do.

The post has more to see if anybody else here has had similar issues, what they did and how it played out.

From my own recent experience of pretty bad knee pain (below the kneecap) after long spins I realised that I was probably too far forward over the pedals/BB and pushed my seat back a little. I also have to keep reminding myself to push my arse back in the seat when out on the bike but that, combined with a conscious to increase my cadence, from ave 70/72 to about 80 (it takes quite an effort to change !), I have been able to fully eliminate the kneepain, so minor changes can have big impact.

But in your case, you just dont know what it underlying the swelling, so dont assume anything and go get it checked. You can trick around with bike fit etc at any point.......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Swollen ankle is not a common cycling related problem.
    Definitely see a GP.
    Can be many causes from soft tissue to infection to fluid etc.

Advertisement