Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Michael O'Leary can't even manage his own business......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/ryanair-cancelled-flights-2-3601822-Sep2017/

81 cancelled Sunday, same cancelled Saturday.

no mention of saturdays figure in that article. it does reiterate what ryanair are saying. or maybe they just copied it from the press release. the weekends are always busier so more flights will naturally be cancelled then.
    The budget carrier has been cutting flights this weekend, and will be doing so to the tune of 40-50 each day until the end of October, in a bid to improve its punctuality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I have a friend who is almost finished pilot training. Based on what he's told me I think Ryanair are only giving us half the story here. When pilots graduate from flight school they all want to work for Ryanair because although they aren't very nice to work for they give pilots the maximum amount of flight hours per week, which means working for Ryanair is the fastest way to get your flight hours and move up the ranks, when they reach a certain level they can then go and work for other airlines as captains or first officers who pay better and don't make their pilots work the maximum amount of hours per week. This means that Ryanair have a huge turnover of pilots and find it very hard to hold on to staff long term.

That was the general gist of what he told me anyway. He reckons it isn't a sustainable business model and perhaps he's right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Technically every flight is a return leg.

**** your technically. Families are getting on their flights and heading on holiday, then when they try to return home are being told that their flight is cancelled and that they are stranded abroad. Its utter scumbag behaviour to put people into that position and no weasel words can change that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Ryanair are going to end up paying out millions over this. I've seen stories of people missing weddings, job interviews all sorts. The people who have been seriously badly affected and who are out a lot of money over this should group together, hire a very good law firm and start a class action lawsuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Racetothebottomair - "where everything is just a number, including the customer"

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

no mention of saturdays figure in that article. it does reiterate what ryanair are saying. or maybe they just copied it from the press release. the weekends are always busier so more flights will naturally be cancelled then.

:rolleyes: is that you, Michael?
    Thousands of passengers across Europe were left stranded on Friday as the Irish low-cost carrier grounded 82 flights, blaming the move on a need for its staff to catch up on holiday entitlement. A further 80 flights are to be cancelled on Saturday.

Source: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/ryanair-cancels-up-to-50-flights-daily-over-crew-leave-backlog-1.3222929

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Any Quotes from Old Big Mouth ..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

According to the Aviation forum they're suddenly offering a 10k sigining on bonus to all and any new pilots. Wouldn't be an issue if they hasn't treated them so badly for so long.

I'd be happy to work for them if they paid for my training from PPL to ATPL and the requisite hours. And overlook my age... :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

blinding wrote: »
    Any Quotes from Old Big Mouth ..?

5 posts in this thread by yourself.

1 just leveling an insult at him.
    4 calling him Old Big Mouth and some other rabble.

Any chance you could change the record and add something to the discussion.

Sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

A bit of common sense and courtesy towards their customers at last

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ryanair/status/909750690616156161

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Collie D wrote: »
    A bit of common sense and courtesy towards their customers at last

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ryanair/status/909750690616156161

It's about time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Was in a tesco last night and heard three random staff members over the course of 15 minutes say to fellow staff I can't wait to get me holidays I'm owed, no one in any job should be allowed to defer holiday time imo, bosses or companies should designate a schedule and that's it if it doesn't suit make it suit otherwise bullshirt like this will happen.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    5 posts in this thread by yourself.

1 just leveling an insult at him.
    4 calling him Old Big Mouth and some other rabble.

Any chance you could change the record and add something to the discussion.

Sound.
    Being Old Big Mouth is Part of Michael O' Leary's Schtick....

Part of his Marketing Policy if You Like !

When Old Big Mouth Goes Missing ...Questions have to be asked .

Where is he ? What has he got to say ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Being Old Big Mouth is Part of Michael O' Leary's Schtick....

Part of his Marketing Policy if You Like !

When Old Big Mouth Goes Missing ...Questions have to be asked .

"Get your caps lock key fixed" - M O'Leary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

murpho999 wrote:
    98% of flights are fine.

100% of passengers in the coming six weeks don't know if their travel will happen or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

**** your technically. Families are getting on their flights and heading on holiday, then when they try to return home are being told that their flight is cancelled and that they are stranded abroad. Its utter scumbag behaviour to put people into that position and no weasel words can change that.

I sympathise and am potentially a victim next week myself - but you seemed to be saying that the worst part was they are cancelling return legs and I was just pointing out that one persons return leg is another persons outward trip. So its difficult to limit the cancellations such that they don't strand people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

murpho999 wrote: »

Only about 2% of flights affected. It's an embarrassment but not a disaster.

98% of flights are fine.
    Still not much good when you don't know if your flight is part of the 2% or the 98%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

My OH's parents are in France atm, and had to change their flights to Aer Lingus. They were also hoping to fly to Germany for their anniversary.

This has been one monumental f**k up by Ryanscare. No two ways of putting it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

He hasn't figured out a way of blaming the 'unions' public servants, the Irish aviation authority or Dublin airport, that is way his staying quiet.

Plus all business people are careful about what they say about their own company after what happened to this fella.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Ratner

• Advertisement

My OH's parents are in France atm, and had to change their flights to Aer Lingus. They were also hoping to fly to Germany for their anniversary.

This has been one monumental f**k up by Ryanscare. No two ways of putting it

Haha, what does that even mean!? :D

I sympathise and am potentially a victim next week myself - but you seemed to be saying that the worst part was they are cancelling return legs and I was just pointing out that one persons return leg is another persons outward trip. So its difficult to limit the cancellations such that they don't strand people.

But it is trivially easy to identify which passengers on each flight are making the first leg of a trip and which are making a return flight. And with that knowledge it would be very possible to arrange alternative means of getting those families home.

However that would have involved costs for Ryanair, and god forbid they spend any money in the name of rectifying their own ****ups. Far better to just cancel the lot and do nothing to put things right for those affected, thats the O'Leary way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

But it is trivially easy to identify which passengers on each flight are making the first leg of a trip and which are making a return flight. And with that knowledge it would be very possible to arrange alternative means of getting those families home.

To be fair, they're damned no matter what they do there.

Cancel outbound passengers— Hotel's non-refundable, excursions are non-refundable, I'm missing someone's wedding/funeral/trip of a lifetime!

Cancel inbound passengers— We're stranded in a foreign country, I'm missing work/school, I can't afford a hotel for more time!

There is no excuse for RyanAir's policy and behaviour here, but it's not like they could pick and choose which people to cancel without it being just as big a disaster as this has been.

DivingDuck wrote: »
    To be fair, they're damned no matter what they do there.

Cancel outbound passengers— Hotel's non-refundable, excursions are non-refundable, I'm missing someone's wedding/funeral/trip of a lifetime!

Cancel inbound passengers— We're stranded in a foreign country, I'm missing work/school, I can't afford a hotel for more time!

There is no excuse for RyanAir's policy and behaviour here, but it's not like they could pick and choose which people to cancel without it being just as big a disaster as this has been.

I'm sorry, but one of those is far worse than the other, stranding families in a foreign country is an order of magnitude worse than those who lose out on flights but at least are still able to sleep in their own beds that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Any press release from MOL or an apology to the public???
    Nope? Thought not.

Surely they only need to apologise to the affected passengers and not the public?

I'm sorry, but one of those is far worse than the other, stranding families in a foreign country is an order of magnitude worse than those who lose out on flights but at least are still able to sleep in their own beds that night.

In your opinion.

I'm not saying I disagree, but someone missing, say, their parent's funeral, or their sibling's wedding, might feel differently, especially considering RyanAir are obligated to cover the cost of accommodation for people who are delayed overnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I really despise Ryanair and its business model and that comes from O'Leary.

I avoid them at all costs but I wouldnt moan about them on Social Media or the likes, theyre a very succesful company because theres serious demand for their flights, often from people who have no other alternative in most circumstances, than to take a Ryanair flight due to where their going or how much it costs.

Most of the complaints I see online are the usual "I only use them becuase theyre cheap" or "You know what youre getting" crowd, who then moan anyway about how sh*te they are when its well published about what you might get when you use Ryanair.

I usually say to people, if you dont like Ryanair for over charging you are treating you badly, its your own fault for choosing them but in this case, Ryanair are the ones at fault and have no come back, I feel sorry for anyone affected by it. Most by a kick in the balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

Im sure the poster picked it up on a red top somewhere along the way.

Surely they only need to apologise to the affected passengers and not the public?

Everyone with a RyanAir flight booked in the next six weeks has been affected by this, whether their flight has been cancelled or not.

Had this been handled differently and it had been made clear from the start which flights would would be affected, they would only have to apologise to those passengers, but by this point, they owe everyone with a ticket for the next six weeks an apology.

Nobody needs this kind of stress around their travel arrangements.

Everyone with a RyanAir flight booked in the next six weeks has been affected by this, whether their flight has been cancelled or not.

Had this been handled differently and it had been made clear from the start which flights would would be affected, they would only have to apologise to those passengers, but by this point, they owe everyone with a ticket for the next six weeks an apology.

So just passengers then not the public as I said.

I have no flight booked with them at the moment and I do not feel I'm owed an apology.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Well, without Ryanair ye would still be paying £1k for flights DUB - LON with Aer Fungus.
    Ryanair came and charged through the competition like a gallon of prune juice mixed with turbo lax through an old lady.
    Of course MOL is also guilty of the biggest crime any Irishman can ever be guilty off, having self confidence and swagger. It's the same with Bono or McGregor. Real Irish men should wear shabby Dunne's clothes, mumble and look st their feet when talking. Otherwise they're labelled as tossers.

Anyway, if this is the worst management issue you can stick O'Leary with after 23 years at the helm and pretty much unbroken growth since he took over and turning a small regional carrier into one if the biggest airlines in the world, he's doing pretty good and will rightfully not be worried about receiving a P45.

edit:
    You wanna see bad? Check out what's happening with Air Berlin...

Aer Fungus, another classic :D Is there a 4 year old writing out puns for ye to use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It is possible to be a successful business man with out being a vulgar braggart.

Well, without Ryanair ye would still be paying £1k for flights DUB - LON with Aer Fungus.

Completely untrue.

Airline deregulation reduced the price of flights - on every route across Europe, whether served by Ryanair or not.

This nonsensical myth that Ryanair heroically broke a cartel is complete nonsense. They are just another budget operator that took advantage of a new market reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Ryanair has lost as much as €2.1 billion of its market value since the middle of last week

Spendy...

In your opinion.

I'm not saying I disagree, but someone missing, say, their parent's funeral, or their sibling's wedding, might feel differently, especially considering RyanAir are obligated to cover the cost of accommodation for people who are delayed overnight.

Balls to that, its not opinion, its simple logic.

Every hypothetical about missing funerals, weddings or interviews applies just as much to people coming back to the country as it does those who haven't left yet. People on both sides are having their lives affected, but one side is at home and the other is stuck abroad without their normal support network, its perfectly obvious that one side is more sharply affected than the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Busi nees :D
    Your random capitalisation of words is hurting my brain.
    "Get your caps lock key fixed" - M O'Leary
    Aer Fungus, another classic :D Is there a 4 year old writing out puns for ye to use?

Five posts of inane hectoring. Have you anything worthwhile to add to the discussion?
    This isn't Twitter. You are allowed write more than a single sentence.

Wombatman wrote: »
    Five posts of inane hectoring. Have you anything worthwhile to add to the discussion?
    This isn't Twitter. You are allowed write more than a single sentence.

#Ryanairbad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

MadYaker wrote: »
    I have a friend who is almost finished pilot training. Based on what he's told me I think Ryanair are only giving us half the story here. When pilots graduate from flight school they all want to work for Ryanair because although they aren't very nice to work for they give pilots the maximum amount of flight hours per week, which means working for Ryanair is the fastest way to get your flight hours and move up the ranks, when they reach a certain level they can then go and work for other airlines as captains or first officers who pay better and don't make their pilots work the maximum amount of hours per week. This means that Ryanair have a huge turnover of pilots and find it very hard to hold on to staff long term.

That was the general gist of what he told me anyway. He reckons it isn't a sustainable business model and perhaps he's right.

Unless there's an unlimited number of jobs with other airlines, it has to hit a point where there's no pilots leaving anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Recruitment/Staff turn over the is the root of the problem that Ryanair is facing.

It's not really due to staff holidays (Although I'd imagine they are a byproduct of the recruitment issue)

So far this year, Ryanair have lost 140 Pilots to Norwegian Air. That is a Large number of pilots for any airline to lose in less than 12 months.

Lets face it, the pilots working for Ryanair don't get a great wage, I'd say it's the kind of company you'd work for just the get the experience so as that you could move on to better company.

Ryanair are now offering €10,000 signing on bonus to new pilots. So clearly they are desperate to get the numbers up again.

Hope it works out, I'm flying to Germany with then in 2 weeks!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

For all the bleating about poor customer service (though it is terribad), are you all forgetting that it's a no-frills airline?

You cannot even recline the seats ffs.

I'm not sure what people were expecting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

He's the CEO of the company.

He is responsible for everything that happens on his watch and you can be damn sure he's responsible for the fact that the airline is cancelling departures due to being short staffed.
    Don't be daft. That's only when it's time to talk about compensation. Then the CEO has huge, vast responsibilities and should be compensated accordingly.

When things go wrong, it's all way too big and complicated and they can't be expected to be involved or even aware of every single thing.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    For all the bleating about poor customer service (though it is terribad), are you all forgetting that it's a no-frills airline?

No frills doesn't mean not reliable.

I don't care if the seats don't recline. I don't care if it costs extra to have an assigned seat. I don't care if the staff are nice to me. I don't care if they rigidly enforce their baggage rules. I don't care if they try to flog me scratch cards. I don't care if they play music when I land. I don't care if the website burns my retinas when I book tickets.

I care about how much money is leaving my pocket, and how likely I am to get to my destination (safety + reliability) having paid that money. That's all that comes into consideration when I'm flying. RyanAir have built their business on the back of having a good record of safety and reliability at a low price, so it's reasonable for people to expect them to remain a priority.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Well being treated like cattle is one thing when they at least get you there, but when they don't even guarantee you that anymore it's taking it too far.

No frills means "exactly what you paid for". It doesn't mean "cancel the return leg of your flight at short notice and leave you stranded abroad". If you can't see the difference then I worry about you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭Den14

O Leary is doing fairly well for himself and his company will always get customers because they are a budget airline and people being people will always look for the cheap option. It's a poo paa of a situation and it's riling upalot of folks but Michael I don't think is going to get too upset

Anyhow they have aplogised. So what more do you want

Link

I like Ryanair that you can't recline the seats. Means you don't have annoying fecker pushing back at you.

Don't get the hate for Ryanair. They have revolutionized flying. Made it affordable for all. They are normally punctual and have a modern fleet.

Other airlines fleeced us for years but people think they got free food and drinks whilst paying mad prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Just for that they are my go to airline.
    At least no 5'2'' midget in front of me smashing the seat into recline into my knees as soon as they can.

Anyhow they have aplogised. So what more do you want

Link
    I though Michael must have got locked in the Toilet or something . Its good to hear the Old Big Mouth has surfaced .

• Advertisement
Advertisement