Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Michael O'Leary can't even manage his own business......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

murpho999 wrote: »
    Anyhow they have aplogised. So what more do you want

Link

For my flights not to be affected, but unfortunately I'm going to have to continue waiting to find out if they are or not.

An apology is a decent start, at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Anyhow they have aplogised. So what more do you want

Link
    Probably the plane to be there on the date and time of departure as agreed and paid for.

Any press release from MOL or an apology to the public???
    Nope? Thought not.

Theres a press conference scheduled for 4pm today.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'd be interested to see a poll on whether this would affect people's plans to fly with Ryanair in the future, if maybe a mod could add one? With options for different types of traveller maybe, like short notice getaways versus longer planned trips.

Because it certainly has for me, I'm planning my yearly trip back to Ireland next month and the ryanair flight is at first glance much cheaper than aer lingus, but when you add in the extras, the cost, hassle and time to travel to the ryanair airport it becomes less appealing but I've still done it a few times when the saving was good enough.

But now I'm not really willing to do it, as even if the likelihood of the flight being cancelled is still fairly small, the damage to my plans is quite large

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Poor Michael. We'll see him picking up multi-pack Koka Noodles soon.

Nothing wrong with multi pack Koka noodles. They are delic.... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

DivingDuck wrote: »
    For my flights not to be affected, but unfortunately I'm going to have to continue waiting to find out if they are or not.

An apology is a decent start, at least.

They're going to announce today/tomorrow which of the flights are cancelled between now and the end of October so you should find out soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Apparently Ryanair are using the same computer system for staff-rostering as the one which 'randomly' assigns passenger seating.

On a flight departing from Dublin last Friday, the cabin manager was assigned the pilot's seat, the cabin-crew were in the luggage hold, the co-pilot was in Stanstead, and the pilot was in Gdansk!
    :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

It's a bit of a kick in the backside for Ryanair, I've heard of staff not been happy working for them. They put huge pressure on them with flight turnarounds. It could definitely have a huge impact on them if they don't resolve the problem quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'd be interested to see a poll on whether this would affect people's plans to fly with Ryanair in the future

Its certainly changed my thinking. I've never had a problem with the business model of no frills and pay for the extras, I've never had a problem because I know the terms and conditions and act accordingly, I always knew where I stood.

But this is the opposite, this is doing everything right, this is knowing where I stand and then getting screwed anyway. This has made them unreliable and thats a serious issue to me.

Do you really think Michael O'Leary rocks into work as CEO every day and organises staff rosters?

As Harry Truman famously put it, 'the buck stops here'. And it does, right at the top. It's illogical to give O'Leary credit for Ryanair successes but try and shift blame from him for its cockups.

He can't have it both ways. Hopefully, the aviation authorities will burn Ryanair for making customers, who did everything correct, pay for Ryanair's mistakes. Ryanair's entire business gloats about making a fortune upon people's mistakes/poor planning/lateness etc.

Now, the state or the EU should return the punishment to Ryanair with serious financial penalties. What's sauce for the goose...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

No frills means "exactly what you paid for". It doesn't mean "cancel the return leg of your flight at short notice and leave you stranded abroad". If you can't see the difference then I worry about you.

People did get exactly what they paid for.

Their right to cancel is written in the fine print (not that anyone reads that, but anyway)

It's ****ty, but not unexpected from a ****ty airline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

CruelCoin wrote: »

Their right to cancel is written in the fine print (not that anyone reads that, but anyway)

It's ****ty, but not unexpected from a ****ty airline.

It's completely unexpected for any airline to mass cancel tens of flights daily for a six week period. RyanAir have certainly never done anything like this before— has any other airline? I certainly haven't heard of it happening (though that's not saying much; I'm no aviation expert).

Yes, the right to cancel is in the T&C, but it's generally understood that they don't avail of that right too often because they will lose consumer confidence when they do— as is happening here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

You have a strange grasp of the English language my friend.

Bought: ticket to be flown to destination airport.
    Received: nothing.

I'm going to need this one explained to me. :confused:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Bought: ticket to be flown to destination airport.
    Received: nothing.

I'm going to need this one explained to me. :confused:

These are the options

- An alternative flight at the earliest opportunity
    - An alternative flight at a later date of your choice (subject to availability)
    - A full refund

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Balls to that, its not opinion, its simple logic.

Every hypothetical about missing funerals, weddings or interviews applies just as much to people coming back to the country as it does those who haven't left yet. People on both sides are having their lives affected, but one side is at home and the other is stuck abroad without their normal support network, its perfectly obvious that one side is more sharply affected than the other.

Ryanair isn't just flights in and out of Ireland you know.
    There will be people left stranded here from mainland europe, so an outbound flight cancelled for your Irish person/family would be a return flight cancelled for them.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    These are the options

- An alternative flight at the earliest opportunity
    - An alternative flight at a later date of your choice (subject to availability)
    - A full refund
    Still not what was bought. :confused:

Ryanair isn't just flights in and out of Ireland you know.
    There will be people left stranded here from mainland europe, so an outbound flight cancelled for your Irish person/family would be a return flight cancelled for them.

Who on earth are you responding to? My post never says the word Ireland, did you mean to quote somebody else?

I mean, you have basically just agreed with me, that it is the people left stranded that suffer more than the people who never got to leave so I'm not really sure what your point is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Nothing wrong with multi pack Koka noodles. They are delic.... :p

Indeed. Especially between the ends of a batch loaf with a helping of real butter. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭mookishboy

They have a full list on the website now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

At least there's a bit of clarity now. Last week there must have been chaos in the departure halls....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

...and yet he managed to run a profit of 1.3Bn last year.

...and yet he managed to run a profit of 1.3Bn last year.

Oh, so now it is him. He ran a profit. Funny that, we heard earlier that the fuckups were nothing to do with him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I just read the OP and replied to it!, i don't know what was said in the previous 7 pages!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He's the CEO of the company.

He is responsible for everything that happens on his watch and you can be damn sure he's responsible for the fact that the airline is cancelling departures due to being short staffed.

I know someone who used to be a pilot with Ryanair. Had a party the day he left. O'Leary sets the tone from the top down and he is reaping what he has so enthusiastically sown over the years.

Just out of interest who would you blame for the situation?

A leaving a job party? Whoever heard of such a thing? What would you even call it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

He's Ireland's most successful businessman

Pays his taxes too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Of course no other airline ever cancelled flights due to scheduling or union issues...
    So far Ryanair have been far more reliable than most other scheduled airlines.
    A lot of the people on this thread are only too delighted to have a stick to beat Ryanair with.
    This is a rare fcuk up in a long career of being a reliable airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Completely untrue.

Airline deregulation reduced the price of flights - on every route across Europe, whether served by Ryanair or not.

This nonsensical myth that Ryanair heroically broke a cartel is complete nonsense. They are just another budget operator that took advantage of a new market reality.

Indeed

Ryanair got help from Minister Seamus Brennan though you wouldn't think it with all the criticism the government took once Ryanair got into the big time

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I love Ryanair, I love MOL when he is saying something wacky and getting under the skin of the establishment, I love that the brand has Ireland all over it. I love their cheap flights.

Of course they would probably be my last option to fly somewhere if I needed too, but if I did pay a tenner, I certainly wouldn't be expecting much in return if I was cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

For all the bleating about poor customer service (though it is terribad), are you all forgetting that it's a no-frills airline?

You cannot even recline the seats ffs.

I'm not sure what people were expecting.

Recining seats are the worst. Sit upright for an hour grandad.

delly wrote: »
    I love Ryanair, I love MOL when he is saying something wacky and getting under the skin of the establishment, I love that the brand has Ireland all over it. I love their cheap flights.

Of course they would probably be my last option to fly somewhere if I needed too, but if I did pay a tenner, I certainly wouldn't be expecting much in return if I was cancelled.

The billionaire Trump and so many others played this trick too: pretending to be against the establishment in order to advance their own interests while being firmly part of it.

Michael O'Leary is one of the richest people in this state, a person who currently exerts enormous influence. He is a solid part of the establishment, and has been for many, many years now. That old O'Leary/Ryanair attack on Irish state subsidies for Aer Lingus years ago was soon replaced by Ryanair getting far more massive subsidies from states across the EU to locate there. That sums up the reality of Ryanair's supposed "anti-establishment" credentials. O'Leary feigns opposition to "the establishment" when he wants to extract concessions from Irish taxpayers/the state. It's a pity so many people are gullible enough to mistake the business tactics of this exceedingly successful businessman for something noble.

An excellent and undoubtedly more persuasive view from the pilots' association on what's really happening here. It seems like O'Leary's yellow pack workers policy is hammering him now as pilots leave Ryanair for better conditions elsewhere:

Over 700 pilots left Ryanair in last financial year
    The changes that have led Ryanair to introduce its flight cancellation programme were flagged to the airline at least a year ago, according to the Irish Air Line Pilots’ Association (Ialpa).
    They have described as “strange and unsustainable” the airline’s explanation that the disruption is being caused by difficulties with pilots’ entitlements to annual leave.
    However at a press conference on Monday, Ryanair chief executive Michael O’Leary denied the airline was short of pilots or that a large number of pilots had joined other airlines.
    On Friday the airline announced it was going to introduce a six-week programme of cancellations, to address a number of matters including a shortage of pilots caused by the airline having “messed up” its holiday leave roster.
    However Ialpa has said the disruption and the cancellations are due to Ryanair having to implement its scheme for measuring pilot flying hours in a way that is keeping with EU flight time regulations.
    They say that for years Ireland and the Irish Aviation Authority interpreted the EU rules governing maximum flying hours in a way that was different from other EU regulators, which gave Irish airlines an advantage.
    However Irish airlines now have to adopt the rules in the same way as their EU counterparts. This is affecting the airline’s pilot rostering operation, but it has been known that the change is coming for some time.
    “It seems clear that Ryanair has failed to plan properly for the implementation of the regulations,” Ialpa said.

The change regards when airlines began to count the annual flying hours of a pilot. Up to recently Ryanair began counting the hours on April 1st, but it must now do so from January 1st.
    The association also says that the high turnover of pilots at the airline is putting pressure on its pilot roster, and point to filings to the Securities and Exchange Commission in the US that show that, as of 2017, the average length of stay for a pilot with the airline was four years.
    An Ialpa analysis of the data indicates that more than 700 pilots left Ryanair in its latest financial year, creating a significant new pilot and training challenge for the airline.

It said that Ryanair has requested pilots to work during their “leave” period, but this appears to contradict the airline’s claim that difficulties are being caused by pilots having to take leave before the year’s end.
    “Since there is no requirement in aviation regulation to provide annual leave per se, it is unclear what is compelling Ryanair to provide any leave to their pilots at this time. It seems clear that Ryanair has failed to plan properly for the implementation of the regulations.”
    “A separate point of note is Ryanair saying that the problem will last for about six weeks. This conveniently brings them to the winter schedule with its reduced overall crewing requirement, which is further evidence of the real problem being a shortage of flight crew.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I distrust alot of Micheal oleary and his abrasive put on show to run the business (just a personality type I'd never gel with)

But credit where it's due,he's come out and taken responsibilty for this mess....for once I agree with people saying our politicians could do with learning from him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Of course no other airline ever cancelled flights due to scheduling or union issues...
    So far Ryanair have been far more reliable than most other scheduled airlines.
    A lot of the people on this thread are only too delighted to have a stick to beat Ryanair with.
    This is a rare fcuk up in a long career of being a reliable airline.

I've been on 6 Ryanair flights since May this year. 5 of those 6 were late. 3 out of Dublin, one out of Edinburgh and one out of Barcelona. They used to be much better in my experience. There's no denying that they handled this incredibly poorly. Flights are scheduled months in advance so they should have given people more notice.

Have you ever heard of another airline pulling a stunt like this before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

My flights aren't being cancelled so I'm best friends again with Michael.

Though I did check and see that I could have booked alternatives with AL for slightly cheaper and the compensation would have made the holiday free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

I love Ryanair, I love MOL when he is saying something wacky and getting under the skin of the establishment, .

Michael O'Leary is now an anti-establishment figure!?

Good grief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Michael O'Leary is now an anti-establishment figure!?

Good grief.

I think M.O'L is Anti-"anything that is not M.O'L" in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

2% of flights affected, and the top man puts up his hands. 100% of the country flushed down the loo, and not one politician had the balls to do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

mattser wrote:
    2% of flights affected, and the top man puts up his hands. 100% of the country flushed down the loo, and not one politician had the balls to do the same.

When your next 'contract' depends on the decision of millions of voters, your reactions tend to be a little more calculated and reserved! O'Leary and co are doing just fine, this will all blow over soon, no money will be harmed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    When your next 'contract' depends on the decision of millions of voters, your reactions tend to be a little more calculated and reserved! O'Leary and co are doing just fine, this will all blow over soon, no money will be harmed!

Lads literally ran this country into the ground,bankrupted it and bailed out there friends and took no responsibility preferring to say we all partied??

One of those who sat at cabinet table making those decision's is running ff and prob 50/50 to be next taoiseach...

At least MOL can come out and admit to mistakes on his watch and not try pass on blame (like in all honesty he's not doing rosters)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Old Big Mouth down a few Octaves at that Press conference....No Harm at all....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

At least MOL can come out and admit to mistakes on his watch and not try pass on blame (like in all honesty he's not doing rosters)

Completely agree with all the above, but please be aware, mol and co are not the saviours of the world, they are a fine example of the failure of our current socioeconomic thinking, I.e. increasing worker insecurity, disrespect to paying customers and staff, an economic thinking that truly only benefits the minority. The current Ryanair situation will not harm the minority in the long run, particularly financially, but could harm the majority in many ways. Sit back and watch

A leaving a job party? Whoever heard of such a thing? What would you even call it?

"A thank God I got out of Ryanair and into an airline that appreciates pilots party" I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Being obnoxious and a bit of a prick does not make one anti-establishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

On the whole I appreciate Ryanair even though I rarely use them unless I am travelling alone. I am old enough to remember flying in the 80's (the little of it that I could afford) so the choice and prices that are available now is mind-boggling.

However, I always felt that it was a company that was constantly shooting itself in the foot. It should be Europe's favourite airline but instead, putting it mildly, it polarises opinion. I cannot for the life of me understand why, a company which eliminated the bull**** with regard to flying, doesn't simplify it's pricing structure. If they charged an extra €10 per ticket and allocated seats sequentially on a first come first served basis, they would still be the cheapest airline and there would be none of the irritating additional costs which appear (incorrectly) to suck all the good out of getting a cheap flight and they would probably get the same, or more, revenue. There would also be no need to insult people's intelligence regarding the 'random' seat allocation.

At least MOL has learned to say sorry. It's a start, but I hope all the old hubris doesn't come home to roost. Rumblings of a pilot strike to take advantage of the current chaos could be a fatal blow.

You'd think an Airline that brings a lot of people on holidays would be clued up on Holidays for their own workers .

New Tag Line for Ryanair......

" We Fook Up Our Holidays and Yours "

blinding wrote: »

From that article:
    Passengers who already paid up to £15 to choose seats on their original flight say they were not refunded the fee by the airline, and were then made to pay again when booking the new flight.

Complete and utter bastards. Superstar ones. For a company which prides itself on punishing customers for their own stupidity (e.g. lateness), for Ryanair to now punish customers for Ryanair's mistakes is really cruising for a bruising. Really and truly fúcking everybody over. I hope the EU intervene to kick them up the arse so hard. It's lovely to see the schoolyard bully being brought to book by an even bigger power. EU consumer protections are repeatedly the only thing powerful enough to put Ryanair in its place.

Meanwhile, on RTÉ's Morning Ireland yesterday morning: 'A Ryanair spokesperson was unavailable for comment'

Is this a first? More, please!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Less moaning about the UK's Independence and focus more on his own business might be good advice.

Advertisement