Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Michael O'Leary can't even manage his own business......

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Less moaning about the UK's Independence and focus more on his own business might be good advice.
    This might soften his cough for awhile...Old Big Mouth having to bite his tongue:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Less moaning about the UK's Independence and focus more on his own business might be good advice.

no . he is correct to moan about britain's pretend Independence. britain has always had actual Independence but it refuses to manage it's affairs properly and pay for the things it needs to pay for. just like ourselves.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

no . he is correct to moan about britain's pretend Independence. britain has always had actual Independence but it refuses to manage it's affairs properly and pay for the things it needs to pay for. just like ourselves.
    No country in the EU is an independent country. Get out while you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

blinding wrote: »
    Old Big Mouth down a few Octaves at that Press conference....No Harm at all....
    This might soften his cough for awhile...Old Big Mouth having to bite his tongue:P

You don't like him, then ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mattser wrote: »
    You don't like him, then ?

The shoehorning of old big mouth is really cringey. Like those people that insist on saying things like "you know what " with a smirk instead of just saying what they're talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I think your comments are very unfair and inflammatory. Fixing administrative errors in large, multinational, low cost airlines is far beyond the remit of a novelty singing catfish ornament.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

mikeysmith wrote: »
    He's Ireland's most successful businessman

Pays his taxes too

Delighted for him. Give him a medal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Really good pilot's account here - https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/20/ryanair-treat-pilots-better-crisis-long-haul

Ryanair are going to continue to struggle to keep staff if they don't start treating them better. The latest estismate has them losing 700 pilots this year alone.

Perhaps Old Big Mouth would have been better not to be so fond of Kicking a Limited resource.....Old Big Mouth has shot himself in the foot and must have that foot in his Mouth as we are not hearing much from him .

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭CosmicJay

Perhaps Old Big Mouth would have been better not to be so fond of Kicking a Limited resource.....Old Big Mouth has shot himself in the foot and must have that foot in his Mouth as we are not hearing much from him .

I have to say it, I just get the creepiest feeling every time I see you write old big mouth.

It's bordering on a weird sexual fetish you seem to have with him at this point.

• Advertisement

CosmicJay wrote: »
    I have to say it, I just get the creepiest feeling every time I see you write old big mouth.

It's bordering on a weird sexual fetish you seem to have with him at this point.
    Its just an Enjoyment of a Guy Good at Dishing it Out getting His Come-Uppance .

Not sexual this time , have you examined your own motives in this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭CosmicJay

Its just an Enjoyment of a Guy Good at Dishing it Out getting His Come-Uppance .

Not sexual this time , have you examined your own motives in this ?

No, I just found it interesting how you would twist and carve the structure of sentences to try and cram in 'Old Big Mouth', enough to a point where it became weird.

Ah sure Old Big Mouth will Enjoy his Millions of Euros no Matter What is Said in the Papers or on The Internet.

.. must have that foot in his Mouth as we are not hearing much from him .

As above, kinda seems like you wish Old Big Mouth's foot was replaced with Big Old Willy

somefeen wrote: »
    As above, kinda seems like you wish Old Big Mouth's foot was replaced with Big Old Willy
    Its some of Ye that have gone all Sexual over old Big Mouth.....

If Thats what Pilots Your Plane then knock y'ere selves out .:P

Nothing pilots the planes, that's the problem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Did you miss the miss the 30 minute press conference the other day?

Here ya go:

MadYaker wrote: »
    Did you miss the miss the 30 minute press conference the other day?

Here ya go:
    Old Big Mouth handled that quite well .

Lets see how he gets on over the next 6 weeks and beyond .

Suggestion of Tag line for Ryanair for next six weeks.

" We fook up holidays , Ours and Yours "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I think easyJet should come to Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

There are two threads already! One in Consumer Issues and one in Aviation

Not to mention this one in this very forum.

Maybe easyJet should come to Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Threadz Merged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Ever done a roster for 12,000 staff spread about 85 different bases travelling to 200+ countries and contend with air traffic delays, ground delays etc. and ensure all meet very strict airline safety regulations?

Methinks not.

Doesn't excuse the current shambles, but to compare it to doing a roster for a shop or restaurant is plain stupid.

Leaving that work to 2 people is OK? Yes Ryanair leave all their rostering to 2 roles.

Not surprised this happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Really good pilot's account here - https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/20/ryanair-treat-pilots-better-crisis-long-haul

Ryanair are going to continue to struggle to keep staff if they don't start treating them better. The latest estismate has them losing 700 pilots this year alone.

Yep - the make sure pilots only clock on 45mins ahead of departure time to make sure they pay out the minimum pay, whilst other airlines 1 hour 20mins is the standard. So Ryanair pilots end up showing up early and working 45mins free each flight.

The stories go on an on, delighted this has happened to the company the way they treat their staff needs to be highlighted.

Some of Old Big Mouths Chickens are Coming Home to Roost.....

And Not Flying Ryanair Either .

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    That's what Ryanair initially said:

Today alone they've cancelled 81

Source: http://www.thejournal.ie/ryanair-cancelled-flights-2-3601822-Sep2017/

And they're leaving it so last minute to tell people too, come on like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

No country in the EU is an independent country. Get out while you can.
    :rolleyes:

Your the one who's focused on that big sexy mouth of his

somefeen wrote: »
    Your the one who's focused on that big sexy mouth of his
    I'm saying " Old Big Mouth "

If Old big Mouth is Your " Thing " Knock Yourself out .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

This is woeful - and I'm definitely not one for leaping to criticise a company in a huge customer service crisis.

This wasn't an error though, or some I.T. glitch. This was known about in advance. And fair enough, if the roles can't be filled, the roles can't be filled (although that begs further questions) but an email circular should have been sent, with apologies and details of a goodwill gesture.

Instead it was right at the time of the flights and just "Oh yeah soz we're cancelling your flight but you can get a refund" and people left with time booked off work, accommodation booked, arrangements made with others. It's not just the flights.

It doesn't just demonstrate contempt towards their customers, but towards their customer service staff too. Imagine the abuse they're getting - and it isn't their decision and there is nothing they can do about it, but of course they have to bear the brunt. And the higher-ups who made the decision can just hide away.

This may not have been down to a direct decision by MOL but it's a consequence of the overall ethos - doing things the "Sorry but tough ****" way.

It's super disingenuous to say too "Oh I suppose other airlines haven't cancelled flights" - actually they haven't en masse like this, and Ryanair knew about it a lot longer than the notice they gave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

Of course no other airline ever cancelled flights due to scheduling or union issues...
    So far Ryanair have been far more reliable than most other scheduled airlines.
    A lot of the people on this thread are only too delighted to have a stick to beat Ryanair with.
    This is a rare fcuk up in a long career of being a reliable airline.

I'd normally be one to defend Ryanair and their safety record is fantastic.

However, my view of them has certainly changed with these cancellations. There is clearly an issue with how Ryanair treat their pilots and to me, this sounds like chickens coming home to roost as opposed to an admin error. This may not be over anytime soon.

Spider Web wrote: »
    This is woeful - and I'm definitely not one for leaping to criticise a company in a huge customer service crisis.

This wasn't an error though, or some I.T. glitch. This was known about in advance. And fair enough, if the roles can't be filled, the roles can't be filled (although that begs further questions) but an email circular should have been sent, with apologies and details of a goodwill gesture.

Instead it was right at the time of the flights and just "Oh yeah soz we're cancelling your flight but you can get a refund" and people left with time booked off work, accommodation booked, arrangements made with others. It's not just the flights.

It doesn't just demonstrate contempt towards their customers, but towards their customer service staff too. Imagine the abuse they're getting - and it isn't their decision and there is nothing they can do about it, but of course they have to bear the brunt. And the higher-ups who made the decision can just hide away.

This may not have been down to a direct decision by MOL but it's a consequence of the overall ethos - doing things the "Sorry but tough ****" way.

It's super disingenuous to say too "Oh I suppose other airlines haven't cancelled flights" - actually they haven't en masse like this, even though there was plenty of notice.

Good Post .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I'd normally be one to defend Ryanair and their safety record is fantastic.

However, my view of them has certainly changed with these cancellations. There is clearly an issue with how Ryanair treat their pilots and to me, this sounds like chickens coming home to roost as opposed to an admin error. This may not be over anytime soon.

Ok, I can accept that.
    Let's see how they handle this going forward.

http://www.thejournal.ie/ryanair-pilot-cancellations-3608121-Sep2017/

Looks like it's only going to get worse. The pilots still there are demanding an improvement to their sub-standard working conditions and are threatening a work to rule.

Meanwhile O'Leary has just told shareholders that he's considering cancelling pilot's leave and take back one week of their annual leave. This could easily escalate into full-on strike action and Ryanair have no-one to blame but themselves.

I certainly wouldn't take the risk of booking a flight with them for the next six months.

Imagine Old Big Mouth forgetting that he needs Pilots to Fly his Planes.....

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Imagine Old Big Mouth forgetting that he needs Pilots to Fly his Planes.....

Seriously dude, change the record.

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Seriously dude, change the record.
    Maybe last one . Anyway why do you love OBM

The Wheels have come off for Old Big Mouth....

But sure he probably doesn’t think he needs them either .....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

http://www.thejournal.ie/ryanair-pilot-cancellations-3608121-Sep2017/

Looks like it's only going to get worse. The pilots still there are demanding an improvement to their sub-standard working conditions and are threatening a work to rule.

Meanwhile O'Leary has just told shareholders that he's considering cancelling pilot's leave and take back one week of their annual leave. This could easily escalate into full-on strike action and Ryanair have no-one to blame but themselves.

I certainly wouldn't take the risk of booking a flight with them for the next six months.

If Ryanair keep this up they'll have a strike on their hands. If the pilots strike, Ryanair won't have to pay compensation for the cancelled flights, and the scheduling will sort itself out.

����to the pilots, and to Ryanair's customers from Ryanair.

Thankfully, Shannon isn't affected by the cancellations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

branie2 wrote: »
    Thankfully, Shannon isn't affected by the cancellations

Delighted for you Jack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

Ok, I can accept that.
    Let's see how they handle this going forward.

Again, I'd normally agree and put this down to "just one of those things, happens to the best etc."

However, I am increasingly seeing and hearing things that would just worry me and really make me think twice before booking ryanair again.

All the usual crap that usually gets trotted out about Ryanair - well, I would tend to ignore it - but with this situation, it is becoming more and more apparent that it is of their own making.

In particular - some quotes from today:
    “Once you are trained and skilled at doing it … I would challenge any pilot to explain how this is a difficult job or how it is they are overworked, or how anybody who by law can’t fly more than 18 hours a week could possibly be suffering from fatigue,”

- MOL, today.

On first reading - it almost reads like it could be just a comment posted by a nobody like me on boards.

Some other words used by him today include things like "goodies" and the pilots would receive said "goodies" if they "behave". And finally, they (Ryanair) made a big "boo boo" with this situation.

Either he holds the pilots and public in utter contempt OR, he really thinks these words and actions will help matters.

The ridiculous terms attached to the bonus would suggest that it is the former. I think this has the potential to rumble on for quite some time. In any case, Ryanair have gone down massively in my estimation.

• Advertisement

if Aer Lingus were cancelling flights at the last minute, and people booked with Ryanair for a last-minute flight, Michael would be laughing all the way to the bank. As usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

murpho999 wrote: »
    Where has he done this.

Only about 2% of flights affected. It's an embarrassment but not a disaster.

98% of flights are fine.

Wouldn't have a thread started if it was any other airline.

And now 100% of people are worried about their flight plans/holidays etc or are thinking twice about booking with Ryanair. Also, 2% is a cluster**** for a big company like Ryanair. thats a lot of disruption and pissed off people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Again, I'd normally agree and put this down to "just one of those things, happens to the best etc."

However, I am increasingly seeing and hearing things that would just worry me and really make me think twice before booking ryanair again.

I'll be honest, nothing happens in isolation and so certain attitudes and work practices displayed in one area are pretty likely to be indicative of the people or company as a whole. I'm no kid, I deal a lot with business structures, processes and cultures, I've seen this demonstrated many times.

We have a company that treats its staff horribly, its customers with contempt and has now demonstrated some serious organisational issues. We would want to be utter fools to dismiss that all as no big thing, if the key indicators are there we should take heed of them.

As such, how can we not be concerned about Ryanairs safety? Do they want me to believe that the engineers are treated better than the pilots? That the investment is there to keep the best technicians as opposed to training up graduates? That maintenance is the one area of the company not operating on very fine margins?

I know full well Ryanair would point to its safety record but they will have to forgive me if I look at the bigger picture surrounding that company and start to have my doubts.

Planes and Pilots or should it be Pilots and Planes......

Its kinda important to have enough of those......

A Big “ DOH “ for the big “ O "

What a B*llocks Michael O Leary is .

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0922/906745-ryanair/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Just got an e-mail for Ryanair's sale, pretty piss poor timing that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

The whingers should just give over, the only reason people choose to fly Ryanair is because they want CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP everything. Up until now you've got your cheap everything presented to you in such a professional manner that when it goes tits up you can't handle it. Everyone will have their flights re-scheduled or they will be compensated. Suck it up and be glad this airline exists at all.

What a B*llocks Michael O Leary is .

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0922/906745-ryanair/

If he can get away with doing that legally, legislators alone are responsible for refusing to protect such basic rights of employees.

O'Leary's ego seems to have overwhelmed his abilities: he's taking on too many opponents on too many sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

The whingers should just give over, the only reason people choose to fly Ryanair is because they want CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP everything. Up until now you've got your cheap everything presented to you in such a professional manner that when it goes tits up you can't handle it. Everyone will have their flights re-scheduled or they will be compensated. Suck it up and be glad this airline exists at all.

Dead right, lazy staff anyway, they should be glad they even have jobs, I'm looking forward to getting my 'trickle down' money from this organisation. Mol should just employ monkeys!

Cheap with Flight =:)

Cheap No Flight =:eek:

I think M O’L might have been listening to too much of this .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rIOQBc1ee0

• Advertisement
Advertisement