Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Michael O'Leary can't even manage his own business......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Dead right, lazy staff anyway, they should be glad they even have jobs, I'm looking forward to getting my 'trickle down' money from this organisation. Mol should just employ monkeys!

'Cut out the middleman Michael' Isn't he in talks to get the passengers to employ the airline staff directly?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

'Cut out the middleman Michael' Isn't he in talks to get the passengers to employ the airline staff directly?
    Passengers could turn up to a flight have a collection of pilots assembled and there could be a bargaining consultation there and then .

O’ Leary could stand on a Ditch and abuse the Pilots collectively and individually :eek:

O’ Leary Screaming “ Your man couldn’t Fly Fook all “

“ Your man couldn’t find his way to Timbucktoo “

Pilots Screaming back “ O Leary your an awful Bol!ocks "

Lúidín wrote: »
    Quote Originally Posted by Lúidín View Post
    Ryanair should put one of those boxes on their website for passengers to tick flights for which pilots are available - at an extra charge of course.
    Or if you really think you need a pilot . Self driving Planes for the big O’ Leary ......

Michaels coming may have been too soon..................I mean before self driving Planes

It really is baffling how Ryanair can legally treat people like this:
    Eighty Irish people have been left stranded in France on Saturday night after a flight to Dublin was abruptly cancelled by Ryanair.

The group, who had been on a mission to Lourdes with the Oblate Youth Service, had been due to return to Ireland on a 3.15pm service, which was not included on the list of cancellations published by the airline earlier this week.

Siobhán Kelly from Co Offaly said they were twice told the flight from Biarritz Airport was delayed, before eventually discovering they would not be travelling on Saturday at all.

“We help really sick people, kids and elderly every year to have a great holiday so we are all very tired,” said the 21-year-old. “We had a fantastic and exhausting week and this is just a nightmare.”

A statement on the Oblate Youth Service Facebook page described the airline as extremely unhelpful. “They have offered us 30 seats on a flight from Carcassonne on Tuesday and have told us to make our own travel arrangements. Extremely disappointed with the complete lack of assistance and dismissiveness shown by Ryanair.”

80 Irish on mission to Lourdes stranded in France after Ryanair cancels flight

So, Ryanair cancels a flight for 80 people without notice and its alternative for this 80 is that 30 of them can make their own way at their own expense to Carcassonne airport (400km away!). Once again: is Ryanair flagrantly breaking Irish, French and EU consumer protection law, or have legislators in these 3 systems simply refused ("failed" is too kind; Ryanair has been treating customers poorly for 30 years so legislators knew protections are needed) to protect consumers from such treatment?

It really is baffling how Ryanair can legally treat people like this:

80 Irish on mission to Lourdes stranded in France after Ryanair cancels flight

So, Ryanair cancels a flight for 80 people without notice and its alternative for this 80 is that 30 of them can make their own way at their own expense to Carcassonne airport (400km away!). Once again: is Ryanair flagrantly breaking Irish, French and EU consumer protection law, or have legislators in these 3 systems simply refused ("failed" is too kind; Ryanair has been treating customers poorly for 30 years so legislators knew protections are needed) to protect consumers from such treatment?
    Passengers are such an inconvenience for Ryanair .

It probably could be a good Airline if it did not have to have Passengers .

O’ Cheery thought he could do without Pilots , Perhaps he also thinks he can do without Passengers .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

blinding wrote: »
    Passengers are such an inconvenience for Ryanair .

It probably could be a good Airline if it did not have to have Passengers .

O’ Cheery thought he could do without Pilots , Perhaps he also thinks he can do without Passengers .

Indeed an embarrassing situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Seriously dude, change the record.

What's up there an the scale too is the postter who keeps thanking every post the guy makes. Though he does have form for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Passengers are such an inconvenience for Ryanair ..

Customers are the thing that make most customer facing jobs bad to be fair........ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

What's up there an the scale too is the postter who keeps thanking every post the guy makes. Though he does have form for that.

Talking to the wall there, Guy. Any mod with a bit of cop, would have them removed long ago. Inane thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Randle P. McMurphy

It's a long road that has no turning. That sociopathic prick is heading for a fall.

It's a long road that has no turning. That sociopathic prick is heading for a fall.

You’d wonder why posters on here would want to support this horrible man .

Are they on the Ryanair Public Relations payroll . Pretty Poor performers if that is the case .

If you want to support M O’Leary . Knock yourself out .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭Pictures Of Lilly

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    not just flights already booked; but flights that can be booked from now until then.
    What? Ryanair are fcuked so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

The whingers should just give over, the only reason people choose to fly Ryanair is because they want CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP everything. Up until now you've got your cheap everything presented to you in such a professional manner that when it goes tits up you can't handle it. Everyone will have their flights re-scheduled or they will be compensated. Suck it up and be glad this airline exists at all.
    Obviously you're not affected. It shouldn't go tits up in the first place, even if the flights are cheap. And of course people are going to avail of cheap flights that are offered to them - not everyone has much money.

The cancelled flights have left people with leave taken from work, accommodation booked, family or friends whom they were supposed to be seeing are now also left high and dry. It's not just the flights.

Spider Web wrote: »
    Obviously you're not affected.
    No I'm not, because I don't use them as a carrier.
    It shouldn't go tits up in the first place,
    Agreed, however, if any airline is going to run into difficulties isn't it going to be the one who caters for the cheapest seats all the time.
    even if the flights are cheap. And of course people are going to avail of cheap flights that are offered to them - not everyone has much money.

I know people who have taken flights, not because the wanted to but because they couldn't pass up the deal. That's not a good enough reason, imo, that only perpetuates the problem.
    The cancelled flights have left people with leave taken from work, accommodation booked, family or friends whom they were supposed to be seeing are now also left high and dry. It's not just the flights.

I understand that, they are the unfortunate side effect of what is the airlines equivalent of the property bubble.

From what I've rear today alone, this is only the tip of the iceberg and huge changes are coming, ryanair may not ever be the same again.

Seems unfair to be taking a shot in your previous post at any Ryanair passenger rather than specifying you meant the ones who just booked a flight because of it being a good deal and no more (likely rare, and they're not likely the most vocal complainers).

• Advertisement

Seems unfair to be taking a shot in your previous post at any Ryanair passenger rather than specifying you meant the ones who just booked a flight because of it being a good deal and no more (likely rare, and they're not likely the most vocal complainers).

I disagree, I think the average user of this airline falls into the category mentioned.

I disagree, I think the average user of this airline falls into the category mentioned.
    Do you know this or just want to believe it? :)

Why would that be the case? Surely the cheap flights are what people would opt for for the annual main holiday as there are so many other expenses?

Do you know this or just want to believe it? :)

No, I think it....... as I've stated very very clearly above.

Why would that be the case? Surely the cheap flights are what people would opt for for the annual main holiday as there are so many other expenses?

I hope you understand that a flight is not a necessity for the 'annual main holiday' for everyone.

No, I think it....... as I've stated very very clearly above.

I hope you understand that a flight is not a necessity for the 'annual main holiday' for everyone.
    You "hope"? Yeah I do, but we are talking about an airline on this particular thread. :confused:

I just don't think the "Let's take advantage of a cheap weekend away" crowd are the majority of the complainers. You want to believe they are - fine. But why? Makes no sense. Kinda seems like you're sticking to your guns to justify your post blasting complainers as whingers who should suck it up. Unreasonably harsh. Lots of people who were just going on holidays - no other agenda behind it (and it would be pretty silly not to avail of the cheapest flight and save money for this expense) - have been affected.

You "hope"? Yeah I do, but we are talking about an airline on this particular thread. :confused:

I just don't think the "Let's take advantage of a cheap weekend away" crowd are the majority of the complainers. You want to believe they are - fine. But why? Makes no sense. Kinda seems like you're sticking to your guns to justify your post blasting complainers as whingers who should suck it up. Unreasonably harsh. Lots of people who were just going on holidays - no other agenda behind it (and it would be pretty silly not to avail of the cheapest flight and save money for this expense) - have been affected.

Lets be very clear here, I don't have to justify anything.

I believe what you are saying is your attempt to convince yourself you are right, How many other airlines are there? how many of those are in similar trouble? I know quite a few people who would never book ryanair because if something is going to go wrong it is going to happen at the LCD (in terms of airlines only).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Maybe it should be nationalised.

Ryanair should get rid of Passengers , Pilots and Planes .

At least two of these are a major inconvenience for Ryanair so why not go all in .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

It's rather ridiculous that this line is trotted out. The truth is that the hse is run in a constant state of chaos. An organisational nightmare that's an exception worthy of international attention in Ryanair is business as usual in so many of our essential services.

I wonder would Michael be better running an Airline Museum .

He might manage that without passengers and pilots .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

How often are you going to keep saying the same thing.

O'Leary has turned Ryanair into one of the world's most successful airlines so they're clearly doing something right.

Just because you don't like them does not mean you are right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

murpho999 wrote: »
    How often are you going to keep saying the same thing.

O'Leary has turned Ryanair into one of the world's most successful airlines so they're clearly doing something right.

Just because you don't like them does not mean you are right.

no but the fact that some chickens are coming home to roost makes him some bit right.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Ever done a roster for 12,000 staff spread about 85 different bases travelling to 200+ countries and contend with air traffic delays, ground delays etc. and ensure all meet very strict airline safety regulations?

Methinks not.

Doesn't excuse the current shambles, but to compare it to doing a roster for a shop or restaurant is plain stupid.

This ^^ Thread/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

The beginning of the end for O Leary I reckon, loose canon, got the company this far but this is damaging . He is a liability and the board will have to oust him. It might take a while and be made look like he resigns/retires but he's gone imo.
    Seen this happen so many times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭Pictures Of Lilly

buck65 wrote: »
    loose canon
    cannon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

One thing you that be guaranteed is that those accountable will get the axe as they should.

Unlike the Irish government where accountability is zero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

djPSB wrote: »
    One thing you that be guaranteed is that those accountable will get the axe as they should.

Unlike the Irish government where accountability is zero.

Not true as they are held accountable at elections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

There appears to be so many people who want Ryanair and O'Leary to fail.

I have been inconvenienced by a Ryanair flight change, they claimed it was due to airport so don't know, so have seen some bad from them.

But the thing is I have also been able to fly to parts of the Europe that I would have to traipse through the likes of Heathrow to get to if it wasn't for Ryanair.

They have done a hell of a lot for making air travel more universally available to people throughout Europe and especially on this island.
    If it was up to Aer Lingus we would still be paying a months salary for a 50 minute flight across the Irish Sea.
    And I have experienced some real ignorant Aer Lingus customer service that would make Ryanair look positively brilliant.

O'Leary is a motor mouth, can sometimes display the people skills of a rattlesnake, but he is also a damn good business man who has built a massive profitable airline and only an idiot with an axe to grind would claim otherwise.

Hoping for O'Leary to fail is hoping for Ryanair to fail and we all suffer from that.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

murpho999 wrote: »
    Not true as they are held accountable at elections.

the civil service are never held accountable. and they are the ones who really run the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

He has stated that he has no interest in aircraft or aviation, so I'd say that's an unlikely scenario. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

jmayo wrote: »
    But the thing is I have also been able to fly to parts of the Europe

Pity you can't be sure your flight will come back though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Pity you can't be sure your flight will come back though.

Oh I am not saying that the rostering fiasco wasn't a terrible fookup.
    And it is is not on that you can just cancel someone's flight with no warning.

What I am saying is that you can't use this to claim O'Leary is a shyte businessman or be glad that O'Leary and Ryanair could be in trouble.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

There appears to be so many people who want Ryanair and O'Leary to fail.

I have been inconvenienced by a Ryanair flight change, they claimed it was due to airport so don't know, so have seen some bad from them.

But the thing is I have also been able to fly to parts of the Europe that I would have to traipse through the likes of Heathrow to get to if it wasn't for Ryanair.

They have done a hell of a lot for making air travel more universally available to people throughout Europe and especially on this island.
    If it was up to Aer Lingus we would still be paying a months salary for a 50 minute flight across the Irish Sea.
    And I have experienced some real ignorant Aer Lingus customer service that would make Ryanair look positively brilliant.

O'Leary is a motor mouth, can sometimes display the people skills of a rattlesnake, but he is also a damn good business man who has built a massive profitable airline and only an idiot with an axe to grind would claim otherwise.

Hoping for O'Leary to fail is hoping for Ryanair to fail and we all suffer from that.

You've landed, ( pardon the pun ), in the right place if you're looking for him/them.

no you wouldn't. airline deregulation would have ended that regardless of whether ryanair existed or not.

nope. the "ya jus jealous xoxo" type nonsense doesn't change the fact the company screwed up badly, and the issue over it's employee relations brings little sympathy for it either, which is 100% justified.
    anyway, without it's founders there would be no ryanair, and quite possibly, O'Leary wouldn't have ended up within the airline industry.

Hoping for O'Leary to fail isn't hoping for Ryanair to fail, and we don't all suffer in the unlikely event that ryanair fails. if the company did feel that O'Leary would have to be replaced (unlikely that will happen granted) then that is how it would be.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

No-one wants to see Ryanair fail, they need a serious wake-up call though. The way they treat and staff allegedly is not on. A bit of humility and decency wouldn't cost them much in the long run.

O Leary has become a liability to the company though as he thinks he can run roughshod over everything, the truth in business is if you don't appreciate your staff and customers the company will suffer.

He will be sidelined unless this is sorted quickly.

He like everyone is replaceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭CosmicJay

no you wouldn't. airline deregulation would have ended that regardless of whether ryanair existed or not.

nope. the "ya jus jealous xoxo" type nonsense doesn't change the fact the company screwed up badly, and the issue over it's employee relations brings little sympathy for it either, which is 100% justified.
    anyway, without it's founders there would be no ryanair, and quite possibly, O'Leary wouldn't have ended up within the airline industry.

Hoping for O'Leary to fail isn't hoping for Ryanair to fail, and we don't all suffer in the unlikely event that ryanair fails. if the company did feel that O'Leary would have to be replaced (unlikely that will happen granted) then that is how it would be.

Would you agree that deregulation and privatisation of the railways in Ireland will lead to decreased fares and better service?

Irish Rail manage to cockup on a constant basis and I see you out there defending them against most reasonable logic and common sense, so why do you not afford Ryanair the same thing?

It's amazing the group on boards that want us to turn into a state where we funnel all of our taxes into unions and a railway system that will not survive the next few decades, but an airline who pioneered 10 quid flights to mainland Europe, no thank you sir, Nah get rid of those lads rabble rabble.

CosmicJay wrote: »
    Would you agree that deregulation and privatisation of the railways in Ireland will lead to decreased fares and better service?

no . privatization of the railways does not lead to cheaper fares. it leads to more expensive fares. this has been explained a plenty but when one has an agenda, they aren't willing to listen to basic facts that have a living example not so far away to back them up.
    i'm unsure what you mean by deregulation of the railways, but i'd imagine it's never going to happen as it hasn't happened anywhere and isn't needed. the facility for multiple operators to operate if they want all ready exists, and they aren't queueing up.
    Irish Rail manage to cockup on a constant basis and I see you out there defending them against most reasonable logic and common sense, so why do you not afford Ryanair the same thing?

i do take things on a case by case basis and if someone is right, i will say so. but if they are wrong on something else, i will say so also. i'm not in the business of simply defending or criticising regardless unlike you. so if i defended irish rail management, it's because they were right in that instance. ryanair were wrong here, and are wrong in relation to their aledged treatment of staff.
    It's amazing the group on boards that want us to turn into a state where we funnel all of our taxes into unions and a railway system that will not survive the next few decades

who are this group? the one in your head obviously. the railway system will survive as long as there is governmental will to see it as part of the infrastructure of the country, and it is funded accordingly, along with a greater encouragement of it's usage. all railways around the world have unions so no amount of ranting will change that part of the reality.
    but an airline who pioneered 10 quid flights to mainland Europe, no thank you sir, Nah get rid of those lads rabble rabble.

who is saying get rid of them? what is being said is that they need a wakeup call. and they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Oh I am not saying that the rostering fiasco wasn't a terrible fookup.
    And it is is not on that you can just cancel someone's flight with no warning.

What I am saying is that you can't use this to claim O'Leary is a shyte businessman or be glad that O'Leary and Ryanair could be in trouble.

One thing I do know is that if O'Leary had been a hired CEO he would now be an ex-CEO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Ryanair has been a shambles internally for a while. I'm waiting for the share price to drop below €15 and then I'm taking the advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Any coincidence that O'Leary sold off 4M shares in june at a price of €18?

• Advertisement

Any coincidence that O'Leary sold off 4M shares in june at a price of €18?
    I sincerely hope that is not construed as Insider Dealing .

Would it be Ethical to do that sort of thing if you knew that there was information coming in the future that would see the share price fall .

O’Leary has questions to answer on this . Why did he do it and is he concerned that the share price will not recover in the short to medium term .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The current drop in share price suits Ryanair, since they are engaged in a share buyback - and according to this, they have saved about €1 million by doing it recently, with the share price low. The article takes care to point out that it was the stockbroker's decision to take advantage of the slump, and there's nothing unusual about it. OK.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

No, because privatisation of railways doesn't lead to competition on routes, since you end up with monopolies on those routes. The UK tried it already, and it's been a disaster. The lines only go where they go and there isn't generally capacity to have two operators running the same route on the same line. And even where there is, all it takes is a nod of the head to ensure that the operators don't compete on price. Road transport is different, since the road system is more expansive and flexible.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41414414

Oh Deary me , This ain’t good O ‘ Leary .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

Just had the return leg of a flight from dub - Birmingham in December cancelled.

PITA

• Advertisement
Advertisement