Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini/Micro pump advice

Options
  • 18-09-2017 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

Looking to buy a new mini/micro pump, any advice out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

My advise is to go for a Pump/Co2 inflator combo pump.

Mini pumps on their own will never inflate the tyre fully, so having the CO2 inflator is a better option.

I have this one:

http://www.bikyle.com/images/Accessories/Topeak_HybridRocket_RX_pump.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Don't. I was stuck pumping up with one of these for a good 15 minutes by the side of the road in the wet yesterday. It may be a marvellous piece of aluminium engineering and design, but it gets shag all air into your tube which is what you really need it to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

lezyne-micro-floor-drive-high-volume-pump.jpg?quality=65&strip=all&strip=all

I have one of these it is  a Lezyne micro floor drive
     pump Fits in jersey pocket is big enough to work and will pump to required pressure. Wouldn't leave home without it

benneca1 wrote: »
    lezyne-micro-floor-drive-high-volume-pump.jpg?quality=65&strip=all&strip=all

pump Fits in jersey pocket is big enough to work and will pump to required pressure. Wouldn't leave home without it

It doesn't have a pressure gauge, so how do you know the pressure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

I have the lezyne above....I've had to use it a few times to get me home.
    Nice bit of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

I have a BBB hoseroad mini pump for sale on adverts if your interested in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

07Lapierre wrote: »

You can see the pressure gauge on the right hand side of the photo

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

jinkypolly wrote: »

I've had this one for a few years now and it is good. I think mine is the medium sized one, but you wont get it up to 120psi, around 80 or so is how much I can get. And there is no pressure gauge, I only know because I checked on my track pump when I got home. I'd still think 80 is fine in a pinch.

tuxy wrote: »
    You can see the pressure gauge on the right hand side of the photo

Apologies...I didn't even notice the link! :o

• Advertisement

07Lapierre wrote: »

Has a gauge in tube. It will pump as hard as I need 110 to 120. Big advantage is you sit it on the ground and pump like a small track pump so you can actually blow up the tyre easy enough and not a lot slower than with track pump. Prob I have with CO2 is you have to wait for them to warm up before you unscrew and even if you have gloves if they are damp you stick to them. Also you only get one chance and if tube is not properly seated you are banjaxed unless you have a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭elchupanebrey

pump Fits in jersey pocket is big enough to work and will pump to required pressure. Wouldn't leave home without it[/quote]

I would agree that these are a great pump. The only issue i had the odd time was the valve core unscrewed when i was unscrewing the pump from it. Probably more a case of making sure your spare tubes valve is tight before use!

. Also you only get one chance and if tube is not properly seated you are banjaxed unless you have a second.

That's why I recommend a pump/co2 combo pump. I use the pump to fit the tube and ensure it's seated correctly. Only then do you use the co2.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd carry CO2 and a mini pump as back up. For seating the tube/ putting a bit of air in I normally just blow into it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I have a Topeak RaceRocket that thankfully I've only had to use a couple of times over the years but it gets the job done. I would also carry a cO2 inflator in my saddle bag as well just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

What kind of jersey pockets you have that you can fit that thing in them?!

AstraMonti wrote: »

What kind of jersey pockets you have that you can fit that thing in them?!
    Gabba

Advertisement