Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AerClub Tiers - What Tier are you?

Options
  • 18-09-2017 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I just signed up with AerClub and I have started saving up Avios Points while also converting my Super Valu points to Avios points.

Now, I understand that Avios Points are saved up and you can put them towards future flights, potentially getting free flights if you have enough.

My concern is the Tier System. Has anybody much experience with it? I am obviously Green Tier (gotta start somewhere), but I would like to get Silver Tier so that I can avail of priority boarding and lounge access.

I go away a few times a year and have some upcoming trips. I understand the Tiers reset after a year.

Is it worth it? How long did it take you to get to silver? Did you have any problems with it? Do you love it?

Did you purposely go for the more expensive (Flexi) flights to rank up quicker?

Did you make your family/partner book with Aer Lingus too on your account, to get the extra points?

Any advice, tips, past experience is appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

There is a huge thread over in Aviation & Aircraft -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057520750

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

There is a huge thread over in Aviation & Aircraft -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057520750

Thanks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

They're not in the one world alliance (a group of airlines that share tier point and avios earning and lounge access) yet but when they are in a year or two,the quickest way to status is to join the BA executive club and get silver with them
    You'll have it for two years if you earn it just into your renewal year

An Irish independent 6 month sub for €360 via the eshopping on avios.com Irish site will get you 30k avios
    An online only sub for half that money will get you 9k avios

A no brainer if you buy a paper everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

They're not in the one world alliance (a group of airlines that share tier point and avios earning and lounge access) yet but when they are in a year or two,the quickest way to status is to join the BA executive club and get silver with them
    You'll have it for two years if you earn it just into your renewal year

An Irish independent 6 month sub for €360 via the eshopping on avios.com Irish site will get you 30k avios
    An online only sub for half that money will get you 9k avios

A no brainer if you buy a paper everyday

You're saying that, once they're in the world alliance, join the BA executive club? I see its free to join? So once I'm a member I'm promoted to silver with Aer Lingus?

The independent sub is pretty cool, pity I'm not a newspaper guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

No you're not promoted to silver ha!
    Life's never that easy
    But it's much easier and cheaper to attain status on BA
    Less delays in flights crediting too

You can transfer avios between the two programmes already which means you can still earn via e shopping on the Irish avios site and transfer the earnings to BA to spend there on flights if you want

Regarding SuperValu -keep the real rewards you earn there in SuperValu until there's a double or triple transfer offer over to avios
    A triple just ended but there'll be another
    Do not spend your vouchers they can be converted to avios too once there's a double or triple offer
    The shops on avios.com offer way more avios than SuperValu
    Always make sure you are logged in the whole way and click to the eshopping from avios.com or you won't get the avios
    Hotels.com or ebookers or similar often have 8 avios or even 10 per Euro so going through avios.com as a portal will get you 8000 avios on a hotel spend
    That's almost a oneway business class on BA to London for example

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Earning Avios will not get you up the tiers. You will need tier credits for that.

I just tipped over into Concierge level, but that's with flights every week. My rate of flying has slowed down in the last few months, but I should be able to maintain Silver next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Platinum and likely to renew at Platinum, 3 months to find 90 odd credits, made 90 this month already :) and TATL flight coming up should sort it out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Green. And will probably never get to Silver.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I'm going to Chicago on Sunday and flying back from Miami the following week. Called Aerclub yesterday about cashing in my Platinum upgrade and was told the waiting list for my preferred led, Miami --> Dublin was full and that I'd be put on the waiting list for Dublin --> Chicago. I don't have any other transatlantic trips with AL planned this year so wondering how good are they are carrying over the upgrade?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Went Green to Silver to Platinum to Concierge to Platinum to Silver (despite only doing 1 trip with them last year). It’s easy to climb the tiers with regular travel if you can book the Plus or Advantage fares.

In general Aer Club is pretty rubbish, Dublin lounge is crap. Avios get you very little off your flights (if anything at all).

Best thing about the club is Fast track security as well as priority check in (during the morning rush), and lounge access (for a quick and quiet coffee before your flight (in Dublin the coffee machines are sh1te, the snacks are sh1te, and in general it’s a poor lounge))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

BaRcOe wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Did you purposely go for the more expensive (Flexi) flights to rank up quicker?

Did you make your family/partner book with Aer Lingus too on your account, to get the extra points?

Any advice, tips, past experience is appreciated!

Dear God no!!!

If you want fast trip pay for it. Only really useful during busy periods. I use it the several times a month because I can but when q’s are small enough the fast track moves slower as the passengers tend to be more like princesses or carrying lots of work gear that needs to go through.

The Lounges in Dublin aren’t great. You are missing nothing.

Aer Lingus are very tight with the points compared to BA. And unless you fly long haul regularly you won’t clock up that much. Better off using the SuperValu pints for electricity or there own vouchers

Just realised someone responded to a two year old thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

ted1 wrote: »
    Dear God no!!!

If you want fast trip pay for it. Only really useful during busy periods. I use it the several times a month because I can but when q’s are small enough the fast track moves slower as the passengers tend to be more like princesses or carrying lots of work gear that needs to go through.

The Lounges in Dublin aren’t great. You are missing nothing.

Aer Lingus are very tight with the points compared to BA. And unless you fly long haul regularly you won’t clock up that much. Better off using the SuperValu pints for electricity or there own vouchers

Just realised someone responded to a two year old thread.

My bad, meant to reply to the main thread 🙈

Advertisement