Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grundfos shower pump stuck

• 18-09-2017 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

I've a Grundfos STB 2.0 shower pump.
    It's about 10 months old.
    Hasn't been used for 6 weeks.
    Tried to have a shower today and all it does is hums, no pumping.
    I turned it off within 10 seconds when I realised nothing was happening and had a look at the pump and it was hot to the touch.

Any idea what's wrong with it?
    Googling round suggests it might be gubbins fouling up the impeller.

Is it fixable or do I need to bring it back to the shop?
    It's fed from the hot water tank with its own supply, has no-return valves fitted and a warix flange fitted.
    Is it worth calling out a plumber?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

plumper? Not if it's in a tight space...

MOD NOTE: I have cautioned this poster, so please don't respond to this post. I will take care of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

Try giving it a few light taps of a hammer when running...but place a bit of wood on the pump to avoid cracking the pump (that's if its the pump I'm , thinking of) maybe throw a pic of the pump up. Grundfos are usually bulletproof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

nlrkjos wrote:
    Try giving it a few light taps of a hammer when running...but place a bit of wood on the pump to avoid cracking the pump (that's if its the pump I'm , thinking of) maybe throw a pic of the pump up. Grundfos are usually bulletproof.

I'd normally suggest this too but it would be under warranty. I'd be more than inc to get an engineer out for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭kyeev

Actually, just checked the receipt. Its actually 1 year and 10 months old.
    Will it still be under warranty I wonder?
    400 bleedin quid it cost.

Where do I hit the pump with a hammer/wooden_block.
    On the end where the impeller parts are?
    I presume the "hot" side would be more susceptible to sticking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I don't know how long it the war is on that pump. Some of might be 12 months but most are 2 to 5 years. My guess is 2 years for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

just tap around the pump anywhere really...like a cobbler nailing a shoe!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmCXlXUPH20

40 seconds in (but use wood), sorry about your man, he's a bit of a langer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Calibos

I had a problem with my 6 year old Grundfos pump.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98413718

Turned out I needed a new capacitor. The DIY Fix was only €20

Calibos wrote: »
    I had a problem with my 6 year old Grundfos pump.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98413718

Turned out I needed a new capacitor. The DIY Fix was only €20
    Thanks calibos.
    I read your thread but I think my problem sounds different to yours, in that my pump hums, gets hot and does nothing.
    I haven't been able to jolt it back into life and am worried about burning out the motor.
    It does allow flow of water through it though so similar to yours, the filters can't be blocked.
    I'm gonna get the plumber I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭paddyman

Hi Kyeev, it sounds like i have the same problem you do. Any update on what your issue was and how you fixed it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Oh God, I feel your pain had this happen to me over and over for a number of years before eventually just getting rid of the brand and replacing it.

If you plug it out and leave it for a while ours would reset its self and work for a whole, the problem with the brand is that the company are really the only ones that will repair them.

A plus is I have to say that grundfos are a very good company to deal with they have a repair man on house. Slightly off topic but I got to know their previous repairman over a number of years and he was a gentleman the problem we had perplexed him and then when the problem happened again I called and expected the same repairman only to be told he'd be struck with an incredibly sad illness.

• Advertisement

paddyman wrote: »
    Hi Kyeev, it sounds like i have the same problem you do. Any update on what your issue was and how you fixed it?
    Opened it up and its completely seized. Impellers are clean, not a spot on them. So its the insides.
    Out of warranty by 10 months. Tough luck the shop said pretty much.
    I have a number for a lad who reconditions them, so will try him if I have no joy ringing the suppliers.
    20 months low enough use from a 400 euro pump is rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭paddyman

Cheers!.

Mine is a Grundfos that hasnt being used in a few months as we never had the heating on (used the electric shower over summer). I reckon it seized from not being used.

paddyman wrote: »
    Cheers!.

Mine is a Grundfos that hasnt being used in a few months as we never had the heating on (used the electric shower over summer). I reckon it seized from not being used.

Yep, same as me, didn't use it for 6 weeks over the summer.

Advertisement