Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipad 2 dead but repair shop cant find issue

Options
  • 18-09-2017 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭

This is just to ask a dumb question as to whether I should look for another repair shop or if the problem implies its terminal.

Ipad 2 mini working fine but not used for a while. Went to charge it and its totally dead. I took it into New Paddy and they returned it saying they couldn't find the problem - 'probably the motherboard'.

Seems a bit brush offish as the Ipad is only just over a year old. Just wondering are there faults that just cant be traced or should they be able to say definitively that one of other component is faulty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

This is just to ask a dumb question as to whether I should look for another repair shop or if the problem implies its terminal.

Ipad 2 mini working fine but not used for a while. Went to charge it and its totally dead. I took it into New Paddy and they returned it saying they couldn't find the problem - 'probably the motherboard'.

Seems a bit brush offish as the Ipad is only just over a year old. Just wondering are there faults that just cant be traced or should they be able to say definitively that one of other component is faulty.

Not sure, but if the MB is gone, the whole thing will be unresponsive. Happened to me with a Samsung Galaxy S3 a few years back, and the MB had to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Just over a year old and not charging. I'd be bringing back to the retailer and let them deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Del2005 wrote: »
    Just over a year old and not charging. I'd be bringing back to the retailer and let them deal with it.

Bought it in the UK & the shop now defunct. I might try another place that does free diagnostics - I'd have just thought they could test stiff like charger port battery MB etc. 'probably' didn't sound very scientific

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

'probably the motherboard'.

If they were any good they should be able tell you "is definitely the motherboard"

IPads are fairly sturdy though - never heard of one dying if just left there unused - most likely either:

My guess would be (if the repair place hasnt butchered it completly):
    1) Charger/Charger cable broken
    2) fluff in the charging port

Clean out the charging port carefully with a wooden or plastic toothpick (nothing metal)- Get a known working charger and leave charging for half an hour (keep an eye on it)

Or try a DFU reinstall (search on youtube for instructions)

good luck.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

ozmo wrote: »
    If they were any good they should be able tell you "is definitely the motherboard"

IPads are fairly sturdy though - never heard of one dying if just left there unused - most likely either:

My guess would be (if the repair place hasnt butchered it completly):
    1) Charger/Charger cable broken
    2) fluff in the charging port

Clean out the charging port carefully with a wooden or plastic toothpick (nothing metal)- Get a known working charger and leave charging for half an hour (keep an eye on it)

Or try a DFU reinstall (search on youtube for instructions)

good luck.

Thanks, have tried all of the first points. the thing is totally dead so not recognised in iTunes which I'd need for a reinstall ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mashed13

Had the same problem with my ipad died after two years, no response when charging, fortunately enough I was cover by ECLC warranty, brought it back to Compu B in Grafton street, they managed to fix it, not entirely sure it it was dead MB or just a battery, one of those anyway.

They might be dear but give it a try if nobody else can finds the problem

M

Advertisement