Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 days in Prague (middle of October)

• 18-09-2017 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi there,

We small group of friends are travelling to Prague (Czech Republic) for 3 days and staying in hotel 9Km away from Prague City Centre?

Could you please suggest what can be seen in these 3 days in and around Prague city as we will be hiring a car for two days as well?

Would public transport be cheaper to travel within Prague city?
    Any other tips would be highly appreciated regarding food, shopping (if cheaper than Dublin), Amusement places etc.

Regards.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

http://www.dpp.cz/en/fares-in-prague/

3 day ticket here for public transport

Fantastic value

Just make sure you validate them when using for 1st time

I wouldn't hire a car myself, city is easily navigated on foot / trams using the ticket above

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Skyfloater

If you taking a taxi, watch out if the driver starts reaching for his shirt pocket. They have a little remote fob that they press when you're not looking, and it clicks forward the meter. Nuts!! this happened to us in Budapest not Prague, but anyway could be the same story there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Don't go near a taxi in Prague. Ever. You don't need to. And you will be ripped off.

Don't change money on the street in Prague. Ever. Worthless Belorussian currency looks almost identical to Czech notes.

Walk 100m either side of the tourist drag. Prices of everything will halve.

Find of the holiday in August? T-Anker. A bar'/restaurant on the roof of a shopping centre. Brilliant views over the city. Amazing food. Have the pork and green beans. Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 muwaahidi

endacl wrote: »
    Don't go near a taxi in Prague. Ever. You don't need to. And you will be ripped off.

Don't change money on the street in Prague. Ever. Worthless Belorussian currency looks almost identical to Czech notes.

Walk 100m either side of the tourist drag. Prices of everything will halve.

Find of the holiday in August? T-Anker. A bar'/restaurant on the roof of a shopping centre. Brilliant views over the city. Amazing food. Have the pork and green beans. Seriously.

Thanks for update.
    What would you suggest to get currency converted from Ireland before go or can we use Irish ATM card (Euro Account) in Prague / Czech Republic to withdraw Czech Koruna which I heard can do that using ATM machines there. Has anyone done it there without any massive currency conversion charges using ATM machines in Prague ?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

I have used a Revolut card in Prague without problems

The comments about the taxis are true, if you go in Rocky o Riellys off Wencelas Square, they have posters about it and tell you how to avoid

They will also exchange Euros at the bar for CZK if required

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

We are in Prague next month too.
    Is the Prague Card worth it? I suspect not but others in the group want to buy them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

muwaahidi wrote: »
    Thanks for update.
    What would you suggest to get currency converted from Ireland before go or can we use Irish ATM card (Euro Account) in Prague / Czech Republic to withdraw Czech Koruna which I heard can do that using ATM machines there. Has anyone done it there without any massive currency conversion charges using ATM machines in Prague ?

Thanks.

I changed my currency at the currency exchange desk in the airport in Prague once I arrived.
    I would definitely try and catch a backlight theatre show as it seems to be their thing in Prague and is quite amusing.
    Definitely cross Charles Bridge at night time for a really atmospheric, spooky experience :)
    Under no circumstances do you attempt to jaywalk in Prague, it just isn't done and the elderly locals will scream and point at you.
    There's also a Marks & Spencer there :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Taxi's are fine, just agree in advance what the fare will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Taxi's are fine, just agree in advance what the fare will be.

Only works if you know what the fare should be...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Thanks all for the tips, will be heading to Prague hopefully next year

• Advertisement
Advertisement