Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Map of rat-run prevention bollards

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Whats the point? If it was part of suggested cycle routes I could see why to map them out. But otherwise?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

beauf wrote: »
    Whats the point? If it was part of suggested cycle routes I could see why to map them out. But otherwise?

If you're planning low traffic cycle routes, e.g. for your kids getting to school, knowing these roads is great as they are effectively as safe as many cycle lanes, probably safer than busy on road lanes.

I think google maps already included walking routes the same as cycling routes. I tested a couple and it seems to treat cycles like walking and different to cars.

I think google maps already included walking routes the same as cycling routes. I tested a couple and it seems to treat cycles like walking and different to cars.

I use Google streetview to see whether these work, just added this one to the link in the OP. Maps can be hit and miss in that some of the routes you think you could take are private and gated off, e.g. this one. While they're usually given as a very slightly darker shade of line it can be easy to miss.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The point is to show that it's not a new thing -- that bollards have been put up at points on roads before, making some people drive around rat runs is a good thing and the sky hasn't fallen in after such closures.

• Advertisement

I think it's a answer to a question no one is asking. Still is interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

I think it's a answer to a question no one is asking.

Its a confused message. If message is meant to be, or route finding. Whichever.

It's not a message or a tool to find routes. It looks like it is just a way to find out where these things are and what the surrounding area is like. I very much suspect this is to do with the recent effort to create a no through road in Drumcondra with the sadly predictable outcry from people who will brook no hindrance of their right to drive wherever they want whenever they want.

You can read about there here:-
    https://www.dublininquirer.com/2017/09/12/in-drumcondra-locals-are-divided-over-road-closures/

It's easy to claim that any change will be a disaster. Being able to provide counter examples is useful I think. I especially like the criticism, quoted in the article, that the council lacks "forward thinking" for doing this.

Well that context would make more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Chuchote wrote: »
    ... that prevent rat-running by drivers ....
    I'm probably in the minority here but I've always had a problem with the term 'rat-running' as it has connotations that the user is doing something illegal. If a vehicle is insured/taxed/road-worthy etc. and the public road isn't otherwise restricted, then the driver is perfectly entitled to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

smacl wrote: »
    I use Google streetview to see whether these work, just added this one to the link in the OP. Maps can be hit and miss in that some of the routes you think you could take are private and gated off, e.g. this one. While they're usually given as a very slightly darker shade of line it can be easy to miss.

Forgive my ignorance, but how do you add one to the map linked above?

• Advertisement

Forgive my ignorance, but how do you add one to the map linked above?

I thought I'd added it to the comments section of the article in the OP but don't see the comment there now so not sure :confused: One I linked was at Moreen Cl. but hasn't been updated in the map.

I'm probably in the minority here but I've always had a problem with the term 'rat-running' as it has connotations that the user is doing something illegal. If a vehicle is insured/taxed/road-worthy etc. and the public road isn't otherwise restricted, then the driver is perfectly entitled to use it.

Not so much illegal as undesirable in areas that are entirely residential on roads that aren't designed to bear heavy traffic. Nearly all newer housing development roads are designed in such a way that they're only really useful to traffic going to and from the residences, such that its safe for kids to play on the streets and residents don't have to deal with the risk, pollution, noise and potential for joy riding that rat-runs can brings. This is a design feature that gets added into older estates with bollards. That they're permeable to cyclists is an added benefit, which I'd say would get changed if the cyclists themselves became a problem.

We have a growing population in this country with lengthening commutes by car leading to increased congestion on roads with insufficient capacity. The tiny extra amount of capacity added by rat-runs doesn't really help this but does lead to other problems. My feeling (pure naval gazing) is that we simply make too many trips, and really need to consider more remote and semi-remote working for most staff who spend a large part of their working lives at a desk. For my money, the infrastructure we should be spending money on is communications rather than tarmac, enabling people to work productive hours, without wasting time on long commutes, from locations with less pressure on housing. Only going to work for a certain percentage of the workforce for a certain amount of their time, but that percentage is large enough that it would alleviate a huge amount of pressure from our transport infrastructure.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I thought I'd added it to the comments section of the article in the OP but don't see the comment there now so not sure :confused: One I linked was at Moreen Cl. but hasn't been updated in the map.

I haven’t had a chance to get back to updating the map, it’s been a busy week.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Not so much illegal as undesirable in areas that are entirely residential on roads that aren't designed to bear heavy traffic. Nearly all newer housing development roads are designed in such a way that they're only really useful to traffic going to and from the residences, such that its safe for kids to play on the streets and residents don't have to deal with the risk, pollution, noise and potential for joy riding that rat-runs can brings. This is a design feature that gets added into older estates with bollards. That they're permeable to cyclists is an added benefit, which I'd say would get changed if the cyclists themselves became a problem.

We have a growing population in this country with lengthening commutes by car leading to increased congestion on roads with insufficient capacity. The tiny extra amount of capacity added by rat-runs doesn't really help this but does lead to other problems. My feeling (pure naval gazing) is that we simply make too many trips, and really need to consider more remote and semi-remote working for most staff who spend a large part of their working lives at a desk. For my money, the infrastructure we should be spending money on is communications rather than tarmac, enabling people to work productive hours, without wasting time on long commutes, from locations with less pressure on housing. Only going to work for a certain percentage of the workforce for a certain amount of their time, but that percentage is large enough that it would alleviate a huge amount of pressure from our transport infrastructure.
    I've absolutely no problem with any of these 'short cuts' having bollards or other restriction installed to prevent access. My point is that when they are not there, the motorist is doing nothing wrong by using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

Use the Moreen Close on my commute to avoid going over M 50 junction in heavy traffic. Very useful route to know in that area.

Advertisement