Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contracts or Surveyor, which comes first?

Options
  • 18-09-2017 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Trying to buy apartment been sold by the bank.My offer was accepted and it went sale agreed. My finances and solicitor have been ready for weeks now; the tenants have moved out; but no contracts forth coming. I did state that i would employ a surveyor once i received the contracts. However the EA is pushing to get the surveyor survey done as it will delay signing of contracts.(if & when they do come)The EA has now informed that others are now interested in the property. Is it reasonable to wait to employ a surveyor once the contracts have arrived? Or should i get it done before hand?

Excuses from their side have been that the solicitor was on holiday although when my solicitor contacted them; he was informed she was in a meeting and it took three or four weeks to get that response from the vendor's solicitor as previously they wouldn't respond to communication.So above could be another stalling tactic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭banie01

In my experience always survey before contract.
    The usual practice is to agree an offer as being subject to survey.
    The results of the survey dictate whether or not the sale will be proceeded with or if the offer is revised to reflect issues identified in the survey.
    Agreeing to proceed with a sale on an unsurveyed property unless a new build with homeboumd guarantee or similar is not something Id be comfortable with and not something that a mortgage provider is likely to countenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Darith

Yes i understand your point. Just trying to save money. I figured i could have the property surveyed with report done in two to three weeks once i received the contracts to look over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think you will told to go to an office on a certain day,
    eg hampton street no 42 ,at 2pm.
    to sign the contract ,where there ,ll be a person there to witness you signing the contract.And to take the contract from you.
    I don,t think they send contracts out in the mail for obvious reasons .
    once you sign it the contract is taken from you
    the seller signs i contract too .

eg i agree to sell house x at adress x to joe bloggs for x amount.
    the whole point of a survey is to see will you need to make serious
    repairs on the property .
    IF the repairs cost too much then you may decide to not sign the contract.
    People dont usually get surveys on apartments,
    as its hardly practical for a surveyor to survey the whole building ,
    with say 50 units in it,
    he can survey the interior of the apartment ,
    the walls ,ceiling etc

Advertisement