Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance company won't stick to the quote they gave me.

Options
  • 18-09-2017 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi! So I spent all last week trying to get cheapest insurance and found it with Kennco, who were offering me €1236. It's my own car a 03 Peugeot 307 1.4 and I have my licence 4 years and named driving experience etc etc. So I called them today and said I'd like to go ahead and then we went through all the questions with them again etc. He then told me the price €2136. I said that's not what I was told last week, and that I have it in an email from last week and he says that it must have been a typo. Is there anything I can do? Or say to them. Do I have anyway to make them charge me the quote I was told? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Unfortunately a quote is an invitation and not a contract, they don't need to honor an invitation.
    I'm guessing the first quote was the cheapest by a large margin and the second quote is more like the other quotes you have received, meaning there probably was an error in the quote details.

I'd be looking at why your insurance is so expensive, is it the car being 15 years old, is it your age?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 alannahnicole

Snotty wrote: »
    Unfortunately a quote is an invitation and not a contract, they don't need to honor an invitation.
    I'm guessing the first quote was the cheapest by a large margin and the second quote is more like the other quotes you have received, meaning there probably was an error in the quote details.

I'd be looking at why your insurance is so expensive, is it the car being 15 years old, is it your age?

Ah ****e. I got a quote of the AA for €7233!!! Ridiculous. I'm 21 so it's probably my age but no penalty points or anything and have my licence since was 17 and been driving since then. It's my first policy on my own tho always been on dads. Any insurers you'd recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Ah ****e. I got a quote of the AA for €7233!!! Ridiculous. I'm 21 so it's probably my age but no penalty points or anything and have my licence since was 17 and been driving since then. It's my first policy on my own tho always been on dads. Any insurers you'd recommend?
    Try an insurer that recognises named driver experience. Zurich used to do this.

What about trying a quote for a 2007/8 1ltr car, see what the difference is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Try an insurer that recognises named driver experience. Zurich used to do this.

AXA and PostInsurance both do too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Hi! So I spent all last week trying to get cheapest insurance and found it with Kennco, who were offering me €1236. It's my own car a 03 Peugeot 307 1.4 and I have my licence 4 years and named driving experience etc etc. So I called them today and said I'd like to go ahead and then we went through all the questions with them again etc. He then told me the price €2136. I said that's not what I was told last week, and that I have it in an email from last week and he says that it must have been a typo. Is there anything I can do? Or say to them. Do I have anyway to make them charge me the quote I was told? Thanks in advance.

Did they send you the quote in writing?

If so, check the fine print, most providers quotes are valid for 30 days. If they sent you the quote on writing and it is indeed valid for 30 days then they are obliged to honour it.

Under what legislation?
    Maybe because it's insurance is there are different regulations?

Under what legislation?
    Maybe because it's insurance is there are different regulations?

It's part of the standard Ts and Cs of most insurers terms of business.

It's part of the standard Ts and Cs of most insurers terms of business.

An Insurnace company won't screw themselves out of €1000 in their own T&Cs.
    T&C's will usually state the quote is valid for 30 days but the quote can change at the next stage of the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If so, check the fine print, most providers quotes are valid for 30 days. If they sent you the quote on writing and it is indeed valid for 30 days then they are obliged to honour it.

A good few have dropped it to 7 days. They aren't obliged to honour a miss quote same as companies aren't obliged to honour a miss price.

• Advertisement

An Insurnace company won't screw themselves out of €1000 in their own T&Cs.
    T&C's will usually state the quote is valid for 30 days but the quote can change at the next stage of the process.

An insurer cannot quote one price, say it's valid for 30 days (or whatever the duration) then quote a completely different premium with the exact same details.

If they sent him the quote they are obliged to stand over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

They aren't obliged to honour any quote, the same way as a shop aren't obliged to honour a price on the shelf. It's an invitation to treat, nothing else.

Insurance companies will always allow for algorithm errors.

An insurer cannot quote one price, say it's valid for 30 days (or whatever the duration) then quote a completely different premium with the exact same details.

If they sent him the quote they are obliged to stand over it.

What legal standing has this "obliged"?

I'm certainly not standing up for the Insurnace company, has anyone anything good to say about any insurance company? but if they did honor their mistake, it's purely out of good will and not due to them being legally obliged to.
    If the OP was older, maybe had other policies or the chance he could take out other policies soon, they might consider it, but I think in the OP case, he's just not an attractive customer for them and I don't think there would be much good faith shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It probably was a typo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

€1236 -> €2136. Simplest explanation is that the first 2 numbers were transposed, as opposed to some deeper conspiracy.

ArthurG wrote: »
    €1236 -> €2136. Simplest explanation is that the first 2 numbers were transposed, as opposed to some deeper conspiracy.

That would be a human error, a computer won't make an error like mixing up the order of numbers.
    If it was a computer error, it was an algorithm error and the first two digits being backwards is a coincidence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

You need to get on the phone with Chill Insurance and have a chat with them. They will find you the lowest quote, guranteed. I was speaking with them last week and I got one of the nicest lads on the phone. His name was Colm and he really went out of his way to help me. Ask for Colm if you can, when you get through on Chill.

I got a quote with Asgard Insurance and it was very reasonable, considering I have little to no driving experience. I am a little older than you OP but don't worry. Chill Insurance will help you. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

Try Liberty. Add 2 named drivers to the policy (Parents/aunt/uncle etc.) and the quote should drop almost 20-30%. Saved my 19 year old brother a fortune last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Two passing thoughts.

OFFER & ACCEPTANCE.

Offer and acceptance are basic preliminaries to the formation of a binding and valid contract. The insurers can put a time limit on the life span of the offer. However, if the offer is accepted within the time span does that not create a binding contract ?

I don't quite go with the "offer to treat" argument here as where you present something at the check out in Lidl's and they accept your offer by scanning it and taking your "offer" to pay the marked price.

If a party makes a definite offer to contract for a price they are bound surely if the other party accepts on those terms.

MISTAKE.

Sometimes a patently obvious mistake in an offer wording vitiates any possibility of a valid contract being formed as where a clearly and obviously wrong price is shown. e.g a new car meant to be advertised for sale for €61,000 is offered at €16,000.

The problem for insurers is that the general public cannot be reasonably expected to know if an insurance quote is an obvious mistake such is the variability of insurance quotes. In other words, insurers would want to be more careful about sending out quotes as they might well find themselves bound to acceptance where the mistake is not remotely obvious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Have you raised a formal complaint with the insurer ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement