Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Yes. He is Irish.

He might have an Irish passport, doesn't make him Irish.
    Didn't he destroy his passport ? - this could be a rumour don't know how relevant it is, but he was describing himself on fb as Egyptian living in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Just look at the social media walls of the people concerned. I have to be vague here, to save my own skin (..and boards.ie). Take the videos and transpose the text into a post under your name, you won't last long before being banned from this forum.

Anti Semitism, Homophobia and just plain.. nasty people are featured. Some sections of Irish society have to be 'seen' to be doing the right thing, even if it doesn't make any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Pyr0 wrote: »
    I'm predicting 4 pages of actual discussion and another 6 pages of complete muck before this thread is locked.

You were not wrong about the muck anyway. Fascinating how calling for Ibrahim and Leo Varadkar to be murdered gets completely ignored by many on here.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

Pero_Bueno wrote: »
    Didn't he destroy his passport ? - this could be a rumour don't know how relevant it is, but he was describing himself on fb as Egyptian living in Ireland.

Ah yes, it ****ing does not to mention the fact he was born in Dublin. Skin colour, religion, and parents mean nothing when it comes to him being Irish or not. Can one of you define "Irish" then since having a birth cert and passport from Ireland no longer is enough for you all?

Why is it so hard for people to get around the idea of dual citizenship also?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Amalgam wrote: »
    Just look at the social media walls of the people concerned. I have to be vague here, to save my own skin (..and boards.ie). Take the videos and transpose the text into a post under your name, you won't last long before being banned from this forum.

Anti Semitism, Homophobia and just plain.. nasty people are featured. Some sections of Irish society have to be 'seen' to be doing the right thing, even if it doesn't make any sense.

All very cloak and dagger...

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

He's Irish. We have Irish Islamists now. Thats the reality of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

All very cloak and dagger...

[shrug]

Jews kill babies and make bread from their blood. Is that kind of crap acceptable? ..or calling for the destruction of a state and its population?

Well?

..if someone features a cleric spouting that bollox on their social media wall, it isn't an act done in isolation, you have to assume the person that has posted it is on the same level ideologically, as the content that's visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Billy86 wrote: »
    If you say someone needs to get shot for political reasons, then yes you are calling for a terrorist act. Likewise if that president has called for violence for political reasons (like say, against protesters), they too should be held liable.

Ahh no argument with you. But surely you can see the hypocrisy. Then again maybe not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Oh looks its another rereg.

Funny how they pop up so much more frequently for 'certain' types of threads.

Makes you wonder if it's just one deranged lunatic creating account after account after account, over and over again. Nobody can be that sad though surely!? :pac: ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    You are describing a narrative in which he is faultless.
    Really. Do you really believe that over half of the youth of this island supported the IRA in the 70s and 80s? Really?

In my school in the 80's yeah I'd say more than half the kids would have hated the Brits and wanted Irish independence by any means but I'd say most of them grew out of it as they got older.

I've no idea what the actual % was. Who cares. Even if it was 1% of people supportive of the IRA bombing the crap out of London, you can't go arresting people because they approve of violent organisations.

Thought-crimes are not a crime. I'm sure there are many Irish people who sympathise with far-right-wing (Nazi) ideology privately. It's a free country I'm not going to advocate Minority Report stuff.
    In your story twist.

Does Aidan also have a family with deep religious ideology and is his father the figurehead of that Ideology in Ireland? This is significant.

It's an analogy not a twist.

He was acquitted of any crimes. I don't care what he was doing there. He could have been banging hookers and chanting "UP ISIS!" for all I care, he didn't DO anything illegal according to the court.
    prinzeugen wrote: »
    Bollox. Utter bollox. You cannot compare Scottish nationalism to them.

Yeah, the point went over your head.

The point which I thought was extremely clear is there's no law against people cheerleading or supporting the IRA, UVF, UDA, ISIS whatever. If people want to whoop and cheer 9/11 or Canary Wharf or Charlie Hebdo, it's a free country.

Anyone tacitly supportive of violent ideologies isn't a criminal, they're a douchebag. If I came across an Irish fella in the pub after the Omagh bomb saying "Fair play to the IRA", I'd have thought "what a twat" and kept drinking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

roddy15 wrote: »
    I wish people like you would provide sound evidence to claims before making them. We've had a great time with people going "ah shur common sense like!" and act like that's sound evidence. So please have you a picture, an article etc. to show he "rips up his Irish passport"?

I have dual citizenship and use that to my advantage when I can but it doesn't change which countries must recognise me as a citizen. It's great you lot go on about being Irish as if it's some magical thing like a knighthood that's only given to the most Irish of the Irish, it's a question of legality.

"like you" "you lot" OK I retract the bit about him ripping up the part about the passport, but I did read about it on a few site's.
    But I don't find it a coincidence that he went on a holiday that coincided with a mass rally. Go ahead and rip me apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Ahh no argument with you. But surely you can see the hypocrisy. Then again maybe not.
    You get it on both sides sure, the most recent example being how willing to overlook those posts in this thread some are. For example if we had a resident muslim poster with a history of posts that could be seen as a little extreme that suddenly called for politicians and civilians to deserve to 'get a bullet' I'm pretty sure we'd have quite a bit of uproar over it and the 20+ page dedicated thread to match!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

deco nate wrote: »
    When he rips up his Irish passport and claims to be Egyptian.
    Fcuk him. Really.

Only Irish when it suits him and his family

NEVER. HAPPENED.

Don't believe Leo Sherlock's lies.

https://twitter.com/TheLiberal_x/status/906082517983354880

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

"like you" "you lot" OK I retract the bit about him ripping up the part about the passport, but I did read about it on a few site's.
    But I don't find it a coincidence that he went on a holiday that coincided with a mass rally. Go ahead and rip me apart.

I'm glad you retract the statement that nobody here has provided evidence to support.

And I agree that it's probably (I say probably because I'm not the guy or a family member) not a coincidence that his "holiday" lined up with a rally. The only way to 100% prove that is to know when they booked tickets and arrived in Egypt though and I don't know if that information is out there or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭MickDoyle1979

Thought experiment:

Transpose the facts of this case.

Young man, let's call him Aidan McGregor, Scottish parents but born and bred in Ireland. Does his Leaving Cert at 17, likely hasn't a pot to piss in but is told he's going to Scotland for a holiday. While there, he attends an extremist rally with his family for Scottish independence and is broadly supportive of achieving that by violent ideology. "Stick it to the Brits!" he chants. He gets arrested on suspicion of being a member of a terrorist organisation, is held, denied bail, is tried and acquitted.

Is the reaction the same to him coming home to Ireland? Do we suggest deporting him to Scotland because he identifies as Scottish? Do we castigate him for being supportive of violence?

It's mind-boggling how differently people treat things due to religion and skin colour - especially as we live on an island where for decades people (north and south) were sympathetic, even vocally supportive towards terrorists causes and violence on both sides. "Ooh aah up the 'Ra" and "IRA" are still chanted by teenagers and adults alike to this day singing songs like Fields of Athenry.

The idea that this 17 year-old kid might have been broadly supportive of violent ideology to me is a complete irrelevance because if we're convicting teenagers for thought-crimes - sympathising with violence - we'd have thrown half the youth of this country in jail in the 1970's and 1980's.

I don't care what he thinks. I care what he does. According to this court judgement, he did feck all. He should be treated as if he did feck all.

He won't be because his name is Ibrahim and his religion is Islam.

The Muslim Brotherhood is a brutal Islamist movement that wants Sharia law - executions of apostates, stoning of women for adultery, mass murder of Jews, persecution and enslavement of non Muslims etc etc etc.

If you think Halawa is harmless and not a danger to Ireland you are literally out of your mind.

But I don't find it a coincidence that he went on a holiday that coincided with a mass rally.

Genuine question what did you do during the summer after your leaving cert?

I was extremely young doing my Leaving Cert (15 going into 6th year) so I didn't really want to go anywhere but most people in my class went to the usual spots like Aiya Napa/Santa Ponsa and most of them were relying on heavily on loans and scrimping when they got there!

What I'm trying to get at is this - do you honestly think Ibrahim was the brains behind this holiday? I'd feel pretty safe in suggesting he was probably broke as a joke like most 17 year-olds and had little say in anything.

I'm open to correction but it's completely reasonable for me to assume he was influenced/led by his family on this one - that they were the ones paying for it and that his older sisters were the ones who decided to go to the mass rally.

Sure, if someone tells me 17 year-old Ibrahim had a huge soft spot for the aims of violent organisations I'd well believe it because I knew many people with soft spots for the aims of a United Ireland by any means necessary.

But I'm not seeing anything in these news reports to suggest Ibrahim was hell-bent on going to Egypt to kick up a fuss or end up as a terrorist. It looks to me like he was told he was going and he was like 'grand whatever'.

But he went back to his country (YouTube).
    Great timing from him and his sisters regarding the protests that were already lined up.
    Fair play he's coming "home"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

You are describing a narrative in which he is faultless.
    Really. Do you really believe that over half of the youth of this island supported the IRA in the 70s and 80s? Really?

In my school in the 80's yeah I'd say more than half the kids would have hated the Brits and wanted Irish independence by any means but I'd say most of them grew out of it as they got older.

I've no idea what the actual % was. Who cares. Even if it was 1% of people supportive of the IRA bombing the crap out of London, you can't go arresting people because they approve of violent organisations.

Thought-crimes are not a crime. I'm sure there are many Irish people who sympathise with far-right-wing (Nazi) ideology privately. It's a free country I'm not going to advocate Minority Report stuff.
    In your story twist.

Does Aidan also have a family with deep religious ideology and is his father the figurehead of that Ideology in Ireland? This is significant.

It's an analogy not a twist.

He was acquitted of any crimes. I don't care what he was doing there. He could have been banging hookers and chanting "UP ISIS!" for all I care, he didn't DO anything illegal according to the court.
    prinzeugen wrote: »
    Bollox. Utter bollox. You cannot compare Scottish nationalism to them.

Yeah, the point went over your head.

The point which I thought was extremely clear is there's no law against people cheerleading or supporting the IRA, UVF, UDA, ISIS whatever. If people want to whoop and cheer 9/11 or Canary Wharf or Charlie Hebdo, it's a free country.

Anyone tacitly supportive of violent ideologies isn't a criminal, they're a douchebag. If I came across an Irish fella in the pub after the Omagh bomb saying "Fair play to the IRA", I'd have thought "what a twat" and kept drinking.

Couldn't happen here?

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4505610/amp/How-Jeremy-Corbyn-arrested-joining-pro-IRA-protest.html

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

If you think Halawa is harmless and not a danger to Ireland you are literally out of your mind.

He's a danger to Ireland because you claim he supports bad things?

LOL. Well in THAT CASE lock him up...

The only person "out of their mind" is anyone who thinks it's a crime to give moral support to terrorists. Every year when I was younger we had a Spanish student stay for the summer - they were all from San Sebastian and Bilbao and all 4 of them were huge supporters of ETA and hated anyone referring to them as Spanish. They literally didn't give a bollox who ETA bombed if it meant "freeing" the Basque Country.

It's not a crime.

I was extremely young doing my Leaving Cert (15 going into 6th year) so I didn't really want to go anywhere but most people in my class went to the usual spots like Aiya Napa/Santa Ponsa and most of them were relying on heavily on loans and scrimping when they got there!

What I'm trying to get at is this - do you honestly think Ibrahim was the brains behind this holiday? I'd feel pretty safe in suggesting he was probably broke as a joke like most 17 year-olds and had little say in anything.

I'm open to correction but it's completely reasonable for me to assume he was influenced/led by his family on this one - that they were the ones paying for it and that his older sisters were the ones who decided to go to the mass rally.

Sure, if someone tells me 17 year-old Ibrahim had a huge soft spot for the aims of violent organisations I'd well believe it because I knew many people with soft spots for the aims of a United Ireland by any means necessary.

But I'm not seeing anything in these news reports to suggest Ibrahim was hell-bent on going to Egypt to kick up a fuss or end up as a terrorist. It looks to me like he was told he was going and he was like 'grand whatever'.
    The brains? "broke as fcuk" that family are far from broke.
    As for the rest of you're questions I'm not going to be drawn into that as to be banned. But good try

• Advertisement

He's a danger to Ireland because you claim he supports bad things?

LOL. Well in THAT CASE lock him up...

The only person "out of their mind" is anyone who thinks it's a crime to give moral support to terrorists. Every year when I was younger we had a Spanish student stay for the summer - they were all from San Sebastian and Bilbao and all 4 of them were huge supporters of ETA and hated anyone referring to them as Spanish. They literally didn't give a bollox who ETA bombed if it meant "freeing" the Basque Country.

It's not a crime.

Oh well in that case we can all stop worrying!

NEVER. HAPPENED.

Don't believe Leo Sherlock's lies.

https://twitter.com/TheLiberal_x/status/906082517983354880

The Internet is great, isn't it.

The brains? "broke as fcuk" that family are far from broke.
    As for the rest of you're questions I'm not going to be drawn into that has to be banned. But good try

Are they loaded? I don't know. I just think it's highly unlikely he was organising the whole trip while he had his head down for the Leaving Cert and highly unlikely he was the one with the 10 grand for however many of them to go to Egypt.
    Oh well in that case we can all stop worrying!

Worry is a waste of time. I've been trying to convince myself of that for years with anxiety issues :)

We've never had it better in this country. Hundreds of years of violent uprisings, civil wars, terrorism, bloodshed. Right now we have it really good and I'm not going to be worried on the off-chance some Islamic nutter wants to bomb Dublin for the craic.

People have been saying for the last 20 years the Radical Islamists are going to bomb Dublin. There's been these threads on Boards for a decade and still jack-diddly-squat.

Some of you are almost gagging for an Islamist fruitcake to do it so you can say "told you so". It's pretty pathetic.

But I don't find it a coincidence that he went on a holiday that coincided with a mass rally.

Yeah 17 year old fanatics don't exist.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/14/west-yorkshire-teenager-talha-asmal-britain-youngest-suicide-bomber

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

It's not exactly up there with Nelson Mandela.
    But great news none the less.

Are they loaded? I don't know. I just think it's highly unlikely he was organising the whole trip while he had his head down for the Leaving Cert and highly unlikely he was the one with the 10 grand for however many of them to go to Egypt.

Worry is a waste of time. I've been trying to convince myself of that for years with anxiety issues :)

We've never had it better in this country. Hundreds of years of violent uprisings, civil wars, terrorism, bloodshed. Right now we have it really good and I'm not going to be worried on the off-chance some Islamic nutter wants to bomb Dublin for the craic.

People have been saying for the last 20 years the Radical Islamists are going to bomb Dublin. There's been these threads on Boards for a decade and still jack-diddly-squat.

Some of you are almost gagging for an Islamist fruitcake to do it so you can say "told you so". It's pretty pathetic.

Really? 20 years??now that's funny

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Internet is great, isn't it.

Yeah it is. Still doesn't change the fact that you're spreading lies.

What I find interesting is that broadly the same people that foamed at the mouth to criticise George Hooks clumsy rape comments are cock a hoop at the return to these shores of someone who's aim is the imposition of not just victim "blaming" but the stoning to death of rape survivors.

Yeah it is. Still doesn't change the fact that you're spreading lies.

I'm spreading lies? Go away with yourself. Report my posts so. Wow this is like the putin bots of last year now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the correct outcome was reached. he was never guilty. i had said it all along.

When he rips up his Irish passport and claims to be Egyptian.
    Fcuk him. Really.

Only Irish when it suits him and his family

wrong, irish when he is irish, born in ireland.

no but the fact he is irish makes him irish. there is no actual evidence that he ripped up his irish passport, just some claims.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement