Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

SafeSurfer wrote: »

And? :confused:

99.99999% of 17 year-old Muslims don't blow themselves up or hurt a fly.

Relax it'll all be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

deco nate wrote: »
    I'm spreading lies? Go away with yourself. Report my posts so. Wow this is like the putin bots of last year now!

Absolutely. When you make a bull**** claim like he 'ripped up his Irish passport' based off what you read on Facebook or wherever, you're spreading lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Absolutely. When you make a bull**** claim like he 'ripped up his Irish passport' based off what you read on Facebook or wherever, you're spreading lies.
    Did you not read my post were I retracted that statement? Keep up super. Grow up

Picking posts and skimming over others

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I think this is an interesting and believable take on the background. Certainly not an innocent getting caught up as a tourist story.

SMH. It's a really easy concept. You can be 100% Irish born-and-bred and still be proud to be Scottish/Polish/Egyptian or conversely born abroad to Irish parents and be proud to be Irish.

You don't even need official dual nationality to feel that way. I have dozens of 2nd cousins in America and England who were born-and-bred over there and raised by Irish parents. They are all intensely proud to be American AND Irish, English AND Irish.

Actually in most cases you'll find they're even more proud to be Irish than we are at home and to celebrate Irishness more than we would here. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that. Everything I have read about Ibrahim it's clear he's proud to be Irish AND Egyptian.

This shouldn't be a talking point and it's most certainly not a bad thing.

• Advertisement

I think this is an interesting and believable take on the background. Certainly not an innocent getting caught up as a tourist story.

It's certainly an interesting take from a clearly heavily right-wing pro-Israeli anti-Muslim author.

You should at least point out who writes it before posting the link. It's very easy for anyone to look at any set of facts and put a left/right spin on things by making inferences. The author is heavily against Islam and pro-Israel and his blog posts on Ibrahim reflect his overall views.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

prinzeugen wrote: »
    This is a interesting read.

http://markhumphrys.com/halawa.html

I think the Government will regret the day that they decided to help get him released.

That is scary stuff.
    People should read it.
    So basically these guys including the Imam of Clonskeagh mosque (think: Archbishop) heavily involved in the Muslim Brotherhood, an organisation whose head guy praised hitler's killing of Jews (”put them in their place") and that advocates killing of homosexuals and apostates.

Meanwhile useful idiots across the Irish media and the likes of Zappone etc turn a blind eye to this, falling for some bull**** leftie narrative.

I'm telling you people need to read that.
    Isn't this what Taqiwa (islamic principle of lying to spread an ideology) is all about.

Needs to be read.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The Muslim Brotherhood is a brutal Islamist movement that wants Sharia law - executions of apostates, stoning of women for adultery, mass murder of Jews, persecution and enslavement of non Muslims etc etc etc.

That's the Irish left for you.

I'm telling you people need to read that.
    Isn't this what Taqiwa (islamic principle of lying to spread an ideology) is all about.

Needs to be read.

LOL.

It's an attempted hatchet job that comes up empty by a far right-wing "academic" who spends his time on twitter retweeting anti-left memes.

Give it a rest. There's nothing in his blog to suggest Ibrahim committed ANY crimes. Point me towards one single paragraph where he suggests Ibrahim committed a crime?

There is none.

I don't care what Ibrahim THINKS and it's crazy that you do. I similarly didn't care if my neighbours thought the IRA bombing Canary Wharf was fantastic. There's no law against sympathising with or cheerleading for violent extremism. If there was, we'd have rounded up tens of thousands of innocent people in Ireland and Spain in the last 4 decades and locked them up.

In fact, the author even concedes Ibrahim might have been vulnerable and easily led by his overbearing father and not actually believed in any of it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

LOL.

It's an attempted hatchet job that comes up empty by a far right-wing "academic" who spends his time on twitter retweeting anti-left memes.

Give it a rest. There's nothing in his blog to suggest Ibrahim committed ANY crimes. Point me towards one single paragraph where he suggests Ibrahim committed a crime?

There is none.

I don't care what Ibrahim THINKS and it's crazy that you do. I similarly didn't care if my neighbours thought the IRA bombing Canary Wharf was fantastic. There's no law against sympathising with or cheerleading for violent extremism. If there was, we'd have rounded up tens of thousands of innocent people in Ireland and Spain in the last 4 decades and locked them up.

In fact, the author even concedes Ibrahim might have been vulnerable and easily led by his overbearing father and not actually believed in any of it anyway.

So you accept his father's involvement in MB.
    And the MB being antisemitic (its head commenting on hitler's treatment of Jews as putting them in their place) and advocating killing homosexuals and apostates.

Do you accept the YouTube videos as clear evidence of the above in the article.

Supposed right-wing, pro-israel bias or not of author notwithstanding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

He was protesting against an attack on democracy, military coup of Al sisi and Co.

On the other hand he was defending the Muslim brotherhood.

Obama's Arab spring consumed itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I support anyone anywhere in the world who fights against unelected governments for any reason, so I'm delighted by this.

So you accept his father's involvement in MB.
    And the MB being antisemitic (its head commenting on hitler's treatment of Jews as putting them in their place) and advocating killing homosexuals and apostates.

Do you accept the YouTube videos as clear evidence of the above in the article.

Supposed right-wing, pro-israel bias or not of author notwithstanding.

I have zero clue if his dad is involved in all that and I don't care! You're aware his father was not on trial here?

What I care about is if the authorities suspect someone of committing a crime that they arrest them and put the evidence in front of a Judge and/or Jury. In this case, Ibrahim was arrested, tried and acquitted in a court of law.

That's where the story should end. I don't care what his opinions or beliefs are, I certainly don't care what his father believes and neither should you. Plenty of people have beliefs I personally find horrendous but thankfully there's no thought-police in this country. Ibrahim can think and believe whatever he wants as long as he breaks no laws. If his father has broken any laws or breaks any laws in the future, I will fully support his arrest and trial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

I support anyone anywhere in the world who fights against unelected governments for any reason, so I'm delighted by this.

Russia? North Korea? China etc?

They are unelected so fight them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,747 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

So a coup against the results of the 1933 German elections would have been bad?

A coup against an Egyptian government that was extremist and inciting hatred and the cause of death in Egypt was bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Like it or not he'll have to be watched for a while when he gets home. Whatever questionable views he shared with the brotherhood when he went over could well have been magnified during all that time in prison. On the other hand he may be overwhelmed with relief and gratitude for the support he received from Ireland.

From what I understand his acquittal has more to do with window dressing and damage limitation in relation to extrajudicial killings eg Giulio Regeni

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Juanito13

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I was in Clonskeagh Mosque just two weeks ago. Had a falafel sandwich in the cafe,all people are welcome, Muslim or otherwise. Its open till 9pm every night. I highly recommend it, you should try it sometime.

No you're grand thanks

On the other hand he may be overwhelmed with relief and gratitude for the support he received from Ireland.

Hard to know but from everything I've read he seemed pretty into the GAA and western rap culture. Struck me as a typical teenager from Dublin. Granted, the bits where he allegedly sympathised with Islamist extremists is not very typical (if true) but, as I said, plenty of Dublin teenagers have sympathised with the 'Ra over the years and there's no law against thought-crimes so hey-ho.

Horrendous ordeal for any young person to go through. I was reading the other week an article from one of the Birmingham Six saying he has been released for the last 26 years but his life has been torture since getting out. He's almost mentally unable to live like a free man.

Ibrahim was locked up for far less time but arguably in more horrific circumstances (mentally) given his age and that he was facing the death penalty in a judiciary in an unstable country. Touch wood he gets all the support he needs from a mental health perspective when he gets home and absolutely any support he needs if he feels he's slipping into violent mindsets, whether it's self-harm or harming others ideation.

He needs positivity and I hope he gets it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Chester Copperpot

His case has always exposed an extremely ugly side to a lot of people. Even to the ridiculous extent of trying to deny a person born and raised in Ireland their nationality. Seems a cut and dry case of racism

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭fyfe79

His case has always exposed an extremely ugly side to a lot of people. Even to the ridiculous extent of trying to deny a person born and raised in Ireland their nationality. Seems a cut and dry case of racism

The Irish media has tried to ensure that the ugly side of Halawa (his membership of the Muslim Brotherhood) has not been exposed. How do you expect people to react when they know they are being fed a one-sided sob story which leaves out a very important factor? If his name was Mick O'Brien and had been arrested in New York while attending a mass IRA rally, you'd be sure that aspect of it would be blasted all over the media here.

Racist to deny his Irish nationality? On his own facebook page he has stated that he is an Egyptian who lives in Ireland. He seems to deny it himself. Anyway, nationality to a lot of people is more about feeling part of the country's culture and identity, rather than being simply born here. Based on those videos of him in Egypt, since removed from youtube, it would seem he feels more associated with Egypt than Ireland. This is his right, of course, but doesn't help to deny Irish people the thought that "well, maybe he's not on our side". It's natural to be suspicious of any member of a cult of hate such as the MB.

• Advertisement

. Seems a cut and dry case of racism

Except it isn't.

Agree.

The most ridiculous part of the whole thing were the people saying Egypt were right to detain him indefinitely without due process.

The irony of trying to defend Irish 'ideals' while simultaneously cheerleading extrajudicial detention of an Irish (or any) person was seemingly lost on some folk.

If you are FOR "our way of life" or "western values" here in this country, you should absolutely be disgusted at how he was treated and glad he got his day in court. Otherwise it's just racism hiding behind buzzwords.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    If his name was Mick O'Brien and had been arrested in New York while attending a mass IRA rally, you'd be sure that aspect of it would be blasted all over the media here.

And if ol' Mick was acquitted of the charge of IRA membership he'd be free to come home to Ireland and anybody arguing he shouldn't be would probably be doing so for stupid reasons.

"But sure Mick's dad is a mad 'Ra head, heavily involved, hates the Brits and his four sisters married IRA lads, he's clearly a danger to everyone sure why was he even at the rally in the first place when he could have been in DisneyWorld instead, wake up, he'd have went to Florida if he was on holiday! Deport him somewhere!".

That's the sort of asinine, illogical nonsense people are coming up with on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭fyfe79

And if ol' Mick was acquitted of the charge of IRA membership he'd be free to come home to Ireland and anybody arguing he shouldn't be would probably be doing so for stupid reasons.

"But sure Mick's dad is a mad 'Ra head, heavily involved, and his four sisters married IRA lads, he's clearly a danger to everyone sure why was he even at the rally in the first place when he could have been in DisneyWorld instead, wake up, he'd have went to Florida if he was on holiday! Deport him somewhere!".

That's the sort of asinine, illogical nonsense people are coming up with on this thread.

My point in relation to that was to highlight the bias of the media in this case. Their one-sided reporting on Halawa's case would be enough to garner an anti-Halawa sentiment among some. You can't be surprised when people question why his membership of the MB is ignored by the media here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Hard to know but from everything I've read he seemed pretty into the GAA and western rap culture. Struck me as a typical teenager from Dublin. Granted, the bits where he allegedly sympathised with Islamist extremists is not very typical (if true) but, as I said, plenty of Dublin teenagers have sympathised with the 'Ra over the years and there's no law against thought-crimes so hey-ho.

Horrendous ordeal for any young person to go through. I was reading the other week an article from one of the Birmingham Six saying he has been released for the last 26 years but his life has been torture since getting out. He's almost mentally unable to live like a free man.

Ibrahim was locked up for far less time but arguably in more horrific circumstances (mentally) given his age and that he was facing the death penalty in a judiciary in an unstable country. Touch wood he gets all the support he needs from a mental health perspective when he gets home and absolutely any support he needs if he feels he's slipping into violent mindsets, whether it's self-harm or harming others ideation.

He needs positivity and I hope he gets it.

Bullsh1t.

The Birmingham Six weren't attending pro IRA rallies unlike this fella who was an enthusiastic MB supporter.

You might want to read up on the MB and see what kind of laws they believe in.

This fella put himself in a situation were he got arrested and has nobody to blame but himself and to even compare him to the Birmingham Six is an insult to them.

He needs to be watched very closely when he gets back here.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Their one-sided reporting on Halawa's case would be enough to garner an anti-Halawa sentiment among some.

Oh right. So anyone neutral on Halawa was probably turned into an anti-Halawa hater because the media didn't do a strong enough job labeling his father as a terrorist sympathiser?

Irish media generally tend not to aggressively go down roads that can lead them into court battles. The fact Ibrahim's father and that mosque have certain allegations constantly lobbed at them by the usual right-wing muppets who crawled out of the r/TheDonald subforum doesn't mean they're a) correct b) provable c) relevant.

If we're holding the views of parents against their children we're going down a bad road. Bottom line the media is focusing on certain facts - a 17 year old was held for years, faced the death penalty, has been acquitted and is now a free man.

If you have any evidence that Ibrahim committed any crimes go to the Gardai with your evidence. Otherwise the media will continue to report this as a relatively feel-good story of a young Dublin fella getting to come home. Why he was originally in Egypt and what he believes are irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

the correct outcome was reached. he was never guilty. i had said it all along.

wrong, irish when he is irish, born in ireland.

no but the fact he is irish makes him irish. there is no actual evidence that he ripped up his irish passport, just some claims.

If you look at my posting history you'll see that I'm not anti-Muslim, in fact I defend them when the knuckledraggers blame all Muslims for terror attacks.

But this guy? Nah, this guy isn't one of your regular peace abiding Muslims, either are his sisters. He's come out and said that he's willing to die and take a bullet for his country(Egypt) etc. He announced that he went to Egypt because of the coup. Absolute BS that he and his sisters were over there visiting on holidays.

Here's a video of them addressing the MB:

And link to the article: http://markhumphrys.com/halawa.html

You might want to read up on the MB and see what kind of laws they believe in.

He needs to be watched very closely when he gets back here.

I don't give a monkeys what the MB believe in and I don't care if Ibrahim's views coincide with theirs.

I care about people committing crimes. If I was going to suggest locking people up for their beliefs I'd start with some of the racist right-wing loons on this forum and elsewhere. Luckily we live in a country where you don't just get locked up for nutty belief systems, you have to commit a crime first :)

I honestly couldn't care less if he believes in having sex with a unicorn and keeping a pet reindeer called Rudolph out his back garden. If it doesn't break any laws in this land, he can believe in whatever he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

If you are FOR "our way of life" or "western values" here in this country, you should absolutely be disgusted at how he was treated and glad he got his day in court. Otherwise it's just racism hiding behind buzzwords.

Maybe Halawa should be asked what he thinks of "Western Values", I'm sure he is all in favour of gay rights and Same Sex Marriage, although that might not really work under Sharia Law...

It's gas that people like O Gorman and Zappone and even some posters here who are gay champion this guy when the kind of society the MB wants would see them stoned to death or thrown off a building.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭MickDoyle1979

It's not exactly up there with Nelson Mandela.
    But great news none the less.

Why is it great news that an Islamic terrorist is going to return to Ireland?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement