Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,544 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I don't think he was completely innocent but I'm damn glad this is done.

All we have is a week of him on the news, late late etc and then hopefully we never hear another mention of his name.

Really sick to death of the whole load of ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I don't give a monkeys what the MB believe in and I don't care if Ibrahim's views coincide with theirs.

I care about people committing crimes. If I was going to suggest locking people up for their beliefs I'd start with some of the racist right-wing loons on this forum and elsewhere. Luckily we live in a country where you don't just get locked up for nutty belief systems, you have to commit a crime first :)

I honestly couldn't care less if he believes in having sex with a unicorn and keeping a pet reindeer called Rudolph out his back garden. If it doesn't break any laws in this land, he can believe in whatever he wants.

You should care what his beliefs are.

Radical Islam is a very real danger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Why is it great news that an Islamic terrorist is going to return to Ireland?

I'd be careful if I were you calling innocent people terrorists. You might think you're anonymous on the internet and above consequences but you're really not and to be fair I'd love Ibrahim to sue every last one of you racists labeling him a terrorist for absolutely no reason.

Ibrahim committed no crime, nevermind terrorism related.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Oh right. So anyone neutral on Halawa was probably turned into an anti-Halawa hater because the media didn't do a strong enough job labeling his father as a terrorist sympathiser?

If we're holding the views of parents against their children we're going down a bad road. Bottom line the media is focusing on certain facts - a 17 year old was held for years, faced the death penalty, has been acquitted and is now a free man.

I didn't say a thing about his father so why did you mention him?

The facts are that Halawa was attending and speaking at a pro-MB rally. The media here has failed to mention that.

You should care what his beliefs are.

Radical Islam is a very real danger.

I'm more worried about the 2 clowns leading USA and North Korea than I am of the miniscule threat posed to us by radical Islam.

There's so many nutters out there with all sorts of ideologies, you're wasting your time worrying about it. If radical Islam or the UVF or whoever wants to bomb Dublin for whatever reasons they'll go ahead and do it.

No point worrying about it, chances are it'll all be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I support anyone anywhere in the world who fights against unelected governments for any reason, so I'm delighted by this.

Wow, what a sweeping statement. So you support ISIS. After all they meet your criteria.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

fyfe79 wrote: »
    I didn't say a thing about his father so why did you mention him?

The facts are that Halawa was attending and speaking at a pro-MB rally. The media here has failed to mention that.

You're getting all your "facts" from that far-right-wing pro-Israel, anti-Islam Humphrys blog (BIASED) where even he admits that Ibrahim was very possibly just an impressionable child trying to impress his dad. That's why I mentioned his father.

And, again, even if he did attend a MB rally, I don't care. He was acquitted of any crime and from everything I've pieced together he seems like a really good kid.

If he gets proper support now he'll be absolutely grand. If he doesn't get it, then sure I'd worry for his health too. It's very easy to slip into thoughts of self-harm and, indeed, harming others. We saw that all too well with that tragic murder-suicide in Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭20Cent

Pity only rich people can use the legal system in Ireland for lawsuits because Ibrahaim would clean up with defamation suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I support anyone anywhere in the world who fights against unelected governments for any reason, so I'm delighted by this.

That's fair enough. Why dress it up as a leaving cert holiday though? It's hardly Magaluf he was off to.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I just hope Ibrahim doesn't re-activate his boards account!

He'll not be best pleased with the general consensus of his behaviour!!

And how AH viewed his behaviour!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm more worried about the 2 clowns leading USA and North Korea than I am of the miniscule threat posed to us by radical Islam.

Brussels
    Stockholm
    Barcelona
    Nice
    Paris
    London
    Manchester

Wouldn't be a stretch to put Dublin on there. But yeah the actions of Kim and Donald I'm sure are much more likely to make things kick off in a European city:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,544 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I really hope he ends his hunger strike now.
    Id say that six months without food is really starting to take a toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

_Brian wrote: »
    I really hope he ends his hunger strike now.
    Id say that six months without food is really starting to take a toll.
    You can't survive without food for 6 months or anything like it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

You can't survive without food for 6 months or anything like it

Think you might have missed the sarcasm.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Brussels
    Stockholm
    Barcelona
    Nice
    Paris
    London
    Manchester

Wouldn't be a stretch to put Dublin on there. But yeah the actions of Kim and Donald I'm sure are much more likely to make things kick off in a European city:

There won't be European cities left if those 2 clowns start hitting buttons on nukes. Anyway Dublin isn't on the list. If you want to spend your days worrying about it, have at it.

I'm personally more concerned with the fact that suicide is responsible for more deaths than the entire victims of 9/11 in this country in the last 16 years.

People on here every day waffling about the threat of radical Islam as a way to justify their racism and xenophobia, meanwhile hundreds are dying yearly while our mental health services face endemic problems. Radical Islam has killed 0 in Ireland past 16 years.

Don't even get me started on road fatalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Maybe now whoever has a hard on for the halawas in the Journal can stop pushing their agenda.

Their coverage has been incredibly one sided and never asked the very real questions that should be about the sisters skipping their bail and the fathers refusal to integrate and status within the muslim brotherhood

They literally have an article today whos headline could be summarised into "look how great the halawa sisters are, they are really great!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

Maybe Halawa should be asked what he thinks of "Western Values", I'm sure he is all in favour of gay rights and Same Sex Marriage, although that might not really work under Sharia Law...

It's gas that people like O Gorman and Zappone and even some posters here who are gay champion this guy when the kind of society the MB wants would see them stoned to death or thrown off a building.

SUMS HIM UP REALLY

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Im sure Halawa senior would shake your hand for your help and dedication...... ohh wait your not a white westerner infidel are you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭MickDoyle1979

I don't give a monkeys what the MB believe in and I don't care if Ibrahim's views coincide with theirs.

I care about people committing crimes. If I was going to suggest locking people up for their beliefs I'd start with some of the racist right-wing loons on this forum and elsewhere. Luckily we live in a country where you don't just get locked up for nutty belief systems, you have to commit a crime first :)

I honestly couldn't care less if he believes in having sex with a unicorn and keeping a pet reindeer called Rudolph out his back garden. If it doesn't break any laws in this land, he can believe in whatever he wants.

Are you nuts? You don't care what the MB believe?

You don't care that an evil Islamic fundamentalist organisation is being assisted by our government our political parties and human rights organisations?

Kevin Myers and George Hook have been publicly flogged for saying stupid things for making stupid comnents by the same people who ate now cheering that an Islamic terrorist whose views on gays women non Muslims and much more would make Hook and Myers look like angels.

mcko wrote: »
    Maybe Halawa should be asked what he thinks of "Western Values", I'm sure he is all in favour of gay rights and Same Sex Marriage, although that might not really work under Sharia Law...

38% of Irish adults voted NO in the Same Sex Marriage Referendum.

Most of them voting no did so because of their religious views. Hint - Not Islam this time.

If your point is that Islam has some fierce backward ideas, you're correct. All religions do to varying degrees. Islam probably the worst offender this century but I'm sure they'll get to an enlightenment before 2317.

Also no idea why you brought up Sharia Law, the chances of it getting implemented nationwide and becoming the law of the land in the next 100 years are about 0.00%?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Omackeral wrote: »
    Brussels
    Stockholm
    Barcelona
    Nice
    Paris
    London
    Manchester

The actions of Trump are more likely to radicalise more than before. Eg the travel ban is a great way to radicalise people. Same for his speeches in general.

Also to those saying Halawa isn't Irish if he identifies as Egyptian. I identify as both American and Irish since parents are from the US. I'm not Irish now too I suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

mcko wrote: »

It's gas that people like O Gorman and Zappone and even some posters here who are gay champion this guy when the kind of society the MB wants would see them stoned to death or thrown off a building.

SUMS HIM UP REALLY

Its gas the way many here on this thread still remain completely silent about the calls in this thread to murder Ibrahim Halawa and Leo Varadkar. It's almost like it's only muslim terrorism they object to.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭MickDoyle1979

38% of Irish adults voted NO in the Same Sex Marriage Referendum.

Most of them voting no did so because of their religious views. Hint - Not Islam this time.

If your point is that Islam has some fierce backward ideas, you're correct. All religions do to varying degrees. Islam probably the worst offender this century but I'm sure they'll get to an enlightenment before 2317.

Also no idea why you brought up Sharia Law, the chances of it getting implemented nationwide and becoming the law of the land in the next 100 years are about 0.00%?

The chances of Ireland being attacked by Islamic terrorists increases when we let Islamic terrorists operate here and hero worship them as if they were the Birmingham Six Guilford Four and Brian Keenan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Quite funny how someone couldn't care if Ibrahim's views coincide with the Muslim Brotherhood but would argue night and day with people online that do care.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Its gas the way many here on this thread still remain completely silent about the calls in this thread to murder Ibrahim Halawa and Leo Varadkar. It's almost like it's only muslim terrorism they object to.

I think the vast, vast majority of people take those posts for what they are. Keyboard warrior bravado.

Are you nuts? You don't care what the MB believe?

Yeah I honestly don't care what the MB believe, I don't care what Neo-Nazi's believe, Irish nationalists believe, I don't care what right-wing and left-wing extremist groups believe.

I don't care what anyone believes.

I care about respecting the laws of the land. If you break a law, you should be arrested, put on trial and go from there. They can all believe whatever nutty stuff they want but if they break a law they should be charged and tried for it.

As for attending rallys, the Charlottesville rally is a good example of how I feel.

All those racist losers marching with torches were disgusting but it was the fella in the car mowing down the innocent civilians I had the most problem with because he broke laws. Many of the neo-nazi's were not arrested because they broke no laws and it wasn't a crime to have nutty beliefs.

Same gig with Ibrahim. I don't care what he believes or what rallys he attended. If he broke no laws, that's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

roddy15 wrote: »
    Ah yes, it ****ing does not to mention the fact he was born in Dublin. Skin colour, religion, and parents mean nothing when it comes to him being Irish or not. Can one of you define "Irish" then since having a birth cert and passport from Ireland no longer is enough for you all?

Why is it so hard for people to get around the idea of dual citizenship also?

While from a legal standpoint I agree, I give you my example, I lived in Germany for many years (Irish originally) and was entitled to a German passport - I barely spoke the language (work was all in English) and did not feel in any way German.

I never got it didn't need it, but if I had, would I be German than ?
    Legally maybe - but would I have REALLY been German ?

In German I can say "Achtung Den Hund" !!!

Thats about it ... as well as all the small talk pleasantries ..

The chances of Ireland being attacked by Islamic terrorists increases when we let Islamic terrorists operate here and hero worship them as if they were the Birmingham Six Guilford Four and Brian Keenan.

Ok. You can say "I told you so" if we are ever attacked by them.

The conceit that Ireland is some sort of prime target is hilarious. Islamist extremists can say what they want but everyone knows you don't get all those virgin hookers in heaven for attacking the Irish :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭fyfe79

You're getting all your "facts" from that far-right-wing pro-Israel, anti-Islam Humphrys blog (BIASED) where even he admits that Ibrahim was very possibly just an impressionable child trying to impress his dad. That's why I mentioned his father.

And, again, even if he did attend a MB rally, I don't care. He was acquitted of any crime and from everything I've pieced together he seems like a really good kid.

If he gets proper support now he'll be absolutely grand. If he doesn't get it, then sure I'd worry for his health too. It's very easy to slip into thoughts of self-harm and, indeed, harming others. We saw that all too well with that tragic murder-suicide in Cavan.

How could you possibly know where I'm getting all my "facts"?

Anyway, for the record, do I believe Halawa should've remained in prison indefinitely? No.
    Do I believe he should be hero-worshipped upon his return here as some poor misfortunate simply 'caught up' in trouble over there? No.
    Do I believe it's fair for him to come under serious scrutiny in Ireland for his affiliation with a hate-mongering Islamist group such as the MB? Yes.

• Advertisement

While from a legal standpoint I agree, I give you my example, I lived in Germany for many years (Irish originally) and was entitled to a German passport - I barely spoke the language (work was all in English) and did not feel in any way German.

I never got it didn't need it, but if I had, would I be German than ?
    Legally maybe - but would I have REALLY been German ?

In German I can say "Achtung Den Hund" !!!

Thats about it ... as well as all the small talk pleasantries ..

Conversely the fact all the Halawa kids sound like extras from Fair City means what? That they are REALLY Dubs? :D

This is a stupid, stupid debate. They were born and bred here, they didn't move over for work. Ibrahim is about as integrated as it gets he's mad for the GAA and he writes rap music with curse words apparently.

Irish people trying to rap should be a deportation offence so I can support anyone wanting him gone on those grounds :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement