Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Conversely the fact all the Halawa kids sound like extras from Fair City means what? That they are REALLY Dubs? :D

This is a stupid, stupid debate. They were born and bred here, they didn't move over for work. Ibrahim is about as integrated as it gets he's mad for the GAA and he writes rap music with curse words apparently.

Irish people trying to rap should be a deportation offence so I can support anyone wanting him gone on those grounds :pac:

What about the father? He either doesn't speak english at all or simply refuses to, great integration there alright. Hes also a known member and arguably a high up member of the muslim brotherhood which has been designated a terrorist organisation in the countries it primarily operates in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

VinLieger wrote: »
    What about the father? He either doesn't speak english at all or simply refuses to, great integration there alright. Hes also a known member and arguably a high up member of the muslim brotherhood which has been designated a terrorist organisation in the countries it primarily operates in.

You can't punish him for what his father is at?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭MickDoyle1979

Yeah I honestly don't care what the MB believe, I don't care what Neo-Nazi's believe, Irish nationalists believe, I don't care what right-wing and left-wing extremist groups believe.

I don't care what anyone believes.

I care about respecting the laws of the land. If you break a law, you should be arrested, put on trial and go from there. They can all believe whatever nutty stuff they want but if they break a law they should be charged and tried for it.

As for attending rallys, the Charlottesville rally is a good example of how I feel.

All those racist losers marching with torches were disgusting but it was the fella in the car mowing down the innocent civilians I had the most problem with because he broke laws. Many of the neo-nazi's were not arrested because they broke no laws and it wasn't a crime to have nutty beliefs.

Same gig with Ibrahim. I don't care what he believes or what rallys he attended. If he broke no laws, that's ok.

I do not want Islamic fundamentalist terrorists in Ireland and I most certainly do not want our government political.parties and human rights group who are supposed to be secular progressive pro gay pro feminist pro democracy pro freedom campaigning for the freedom of a dangerous religious fanatic who believes in mass murder of Jews and the enslavement of the world under Sharia Law.

If you don't care about MB don't weep when our country experiences the same problems as other European countries who have thrown their doors open to Islamic terrorists and are now paying the price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭MickDoyle1979

Conversely the fact all the Halawa kids sound like extras from Fair City means what? That they are REALLY Dubs? :D

This is a stupid, stupid debate. They were born and bred here, they didn't move over for work. Ibrahim is about as integrated as it gets he's mad for the GAA and he writes rap music with curse words apparently.

Irish people trying to rap should be a deportation offence so I can support anyone wanting him gone on those grounds :pac:

The 9/11 hijackers drank alcohol and visited strip clubs and prostitutes. Jihadi John was a rapper before he joined ISIS.

They were still dangerous violent Islamic fanatics.

You can't punish him for what his father is at?

Where did I say that? The post I was replying to was talking about how the kids are all irish and have integrated so well. However consistently whenever questions about the fathers well documented refusal to integrate, his membership in a terrorist organisation and his extreme beliefs are brought up the halawas supporters go a bit deaf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

fyfe79 wrote: »

Anyway, for the record, do I believe Halawa should've remained in prison indefinitely? No.
    Do I believe he should be hero-worshipped upon his return here as some poor misfortunate simply 'caught up' in trouble over there? No.
    Do I believe it's fair for him to come under serious scrutiny in Ireland for his affiliation with a hate-mongering Islamist group such as the MB? Yes.

Fair points really.

I just don't understand the obsession with radical Islam on this website.

Suicide and road fatalities account for what, nearly 9,000 deaths in Ireland since 2001. That's triple the amount of people that died in 9/11 at the hands of radical Islamists. Maybe if all those 9,000 died at once we would sit up and take serious action but nope.

I admire the passion from the right-wing anti-Islam types on Boards and twitter, I just wish they'd turn that passion onto issues that are actually killing Irish people by the thousands. Radical Islamists have killed nobody here in the last 16 years and, heaven forbid, if they ever bomb Dublin (which they won't) they'll probably kill a handful of people.

The devotion to this perceived threat is wildly disproportionate and is clearly rooted in racism and xenophobia.

Where did I say that? The post I was replying to was talking about how the kids are all irish and have integrated so well. However consistently whenever questions about the fathers well documented refusal to integrate, his membership in a terrorist organisation and his extreme beliefs are brought up the halawas supporters go a bit deaf.

Don't see what his father's behaviour has to do with the kids
    Literally a red herring tbh

I know many people whos parents are raving alcoholics who don't drink themselves??

Old people are weird and behind times usually,to critise and try paint their kids with the same brush is vastly unfair,

This is as bad as all the bullsht of lads being from broken families etc using it as an excuse in court,stand on your own merits ffs

The 9/11 hijackers drank alcohol and visited strip clubs and prostitutes. Jihadi John was a rapper before he joined ISIS.

They were still dangerous violent Islamic fanatics.

Ok well let's arrest all Muslims who like rap music and drink alcohol and let's deport them (even Irish citizens, throw a dart at the map as to where they go). Best to do that now just in case.

Better?

SMH.

Fair points really.

Suicide and road fatalities account for what, nearly 9,000 deaths in Ireland since 2001. That's triple the amount of people that died in 9/11 at the hands of radical Islamists. Maybe if all those 9,000 died at once we would sit up and take serious action but nope.

I admire the passion from the right-wing anti-Islam types on Boards and twitter, I just wish they'd turn that passion onto issues that are actually killing Irish people by the thousands. Radical Islamists have killed nobody here in the last 16 years and, heaven forbid, if they ever bomb Dublin (which they won't) they'll probably kill a handful of people.

The devotion to this perceived threat is wildly disproportionate and is clearly rooted in racism and xenophobia.

Its a thread about ibraham halawa and your confused why him his family and their beliefs are being discussed?

If you are concerned about those other issues maybe go start another thread?

Don't see what his father's behaviour has to do with the kids
    Literally a red herring tbh

I know many people whos parents are raving alcoholics who don't drink themselves??

Old people are weird and behind times usually,to critise and try paint their kids with the same brush is vastly unfair,

This is as bad as all the bullsht of lads being from broken families etc using it as an excuse in court,stand on your own merits ffs

LOL fair play for conforming to the typical apologist stereotype where you try hide his father behind a curtain waving and shouting "nothing to see here!".

We are talking about Ibraham and his family integrating, demanding everyone ignore the fathers refusal to do so is just pathetic deflection.

I have no problem with him being found innocent, if he comes back to Ireland thats fine too, personally I wont be cheering for him cus i think he got himself into his own mess and I see no reason why the irish government had to jump into save him but that's another matter.

I still believe his supporters wear a very convenient set of blinders though regarding his father who is directly involved in a terrorist organisation and possibly quite high up in it, yet they claim for some bizarre reason he is above reproach cus he and his son have nothing to do with each other? Im sorry but WTF kind of logic are you using there?

• Advertisement

Its a thread about ibraham halawa and your confused why him his family and their beliefs are being discussed?

If you are concerned about those other issues maybe go start another thread?

Why are you so passionately concerned with Radical Islamists who have killed nobody in this country and not so passionately concerned with issues that do kill people?

Is it because you're a racist xenophobe? Is it because you don't care if Irish people die at their own hands by suicide by the thousands but do care if the big bad radical Muslims kill one of us some day?

My point belongs in this thread. The point is all this focus on Ibrahim Halawa and radical Islam is LAUGHABLY disproportionate to any real threat "they" pose to us or our way of life.

The biggest threats we face as a nation are the suicide epidemic, road traffic fatalities and our hospital crises. They are all REAL, IMMINENT, ONGOING threats to our nation. Radical Islam is a make-believe, wishy-washy, airy-fairy, big-bad-wolf type threat that has NOT happened here yet, MAY NOT happen and IF IT DOES happen will likely not kill many people at all.

I'd love if some of you showed a blind bit of interest in those real threats, even 10% what you show in Ibrahim Halawa, a young fella who did feck all wrong and was cleared by a court of law.

LOL fair play for conforming to the typical apologist stereotype where you try hide his father behind a curtain waving and shouting "nothing to see here!".

We are talking about Ibraham and his family integrating, demanding everyone ignore the fathers refusal to do so is just pathetic deflection.

I have no problem with him being found innocent, if he comes back to Ireland thats fine too, personally I wont be cheering for him cus i think he got himself into his own mess and I see no reason why the irish government had to jump into save him but that's another matter.

I still believe his supporters wear a very convenient set of blinders though regarding his father who is directly involved in a terrorist organisation and possibly quite high up in it, yet they claim for some bizarre reason he is above reproach cus he and his son have nothing to do with each other? Im sorry but WTF kind of logic are you using there?

And where have I said he's above reproach?

Your trying to critise a lad because his father isn't integrating?

All I said is that as any adult he should be judged on merits of his actions,
    To argue otherwise is to esentianlly agree with the widespread nepotism that geos on within ireland?

All anyone can ask for is a fair crack at life,regardless of background??

Fwiw this lad has spend so long in jail,he'll do well to stay out for the next 5 years,and most likely will be caught for something....I doubt he's a saint ffs

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,088 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Will he get unemployment benefits backdated?

Get a grip. There's thousands of Polish people in this country who speak Polish to each other 24/7 when they don't absolutely have to speak English. Many of them have children born and bred here and the children learn and speak fluent English.

Learning languages isn't simple for everyone and the reality is some might only ever get to a basic level where they can say a few words.

What matters here is Ibrahim is fluent in sarcasm nevermind English, is a pure Dub, loves his GAA and rap music. He couldn't be more integrated if he tried.

Even pointing out his integration, you get the usual whataboutery! What about his da? What about the 9/11 attackers they liked rap music too!

The truth is there's nothing Ibrahim Halawa can do to please some of you racist xenophobic losers because his NAME is Ibrahim and he's a Muslim.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

There won't be European cities left if those 2 clowns start hitting buttons on nukes. Anyway Dublin isn't on the list. If you want to spend your days worrying about it, have at it.

I'm personally more concerned with the fact that suicide is responsible for more deaths than the entire victims of 9/11 in this country in the last 16 years.

People on here every day waffling about the threat of radical Islam as a way to justify their racism and xenophobia, meanwhile hundreds are dying yearly while our mental health services face endemic problems. Radical Islam has killed 0 in Ireland past 16 years.

Don't even get me started on road fatalities.

Some savage deflection going on in that post, especially the last sentence. Cars aren't inherently evil things that set out to mow people down, although Jihadis have been using them as a weapon of choice in more recent times so maybe you're on to something there. As for trying to tie suicide into the issue, that's a whole other kettle of fish and it's beyond disingenuous to try include it in this type of discussion. Also, you can care about more than one thing at the same time.

Ok. You can say "I told you so" if we are ever attacked by them.

The conceit that Ireland is some sort of prime target is hilarious. Islamist extremists can say what they want but everyone knows you don't get all those virgin hookers in heaven for attacking the Irish :pac:

Why was Sweden attacked? Surely they weren't high up on the prime candidate list. They're as liberal as ya can be.

Omackeral wrote: »
    As for trying to tie suicide into the issue, that's a whole other kettle of fish and it's beyond disingenuous to try include it in this type of discussion. Also, you can care about more than one thing at the same time.

It's deflection to ask why the usual suspects pounce to a Radical Islam thread but are nowhere to be seen on any depression/mental health threads?

It's deflection to point out most of you are just racist xenophobes?

Cars don't intend to kill people, gotcha. Well suicide is (by design) intentional and is a problem that has claimed over 5,000 lives since 2001.

Let's worry about some real problems instead of the bad brown people who believe in Allah and who might kill 6 of us some day on the Luas but probably never will.

Unbelievable BS. Deflection alright from you because you can't justify the disproportionate, fear-mongering tripe you peddle.

Why are you so passionately concerned with Radical Islamists who have killed nobody in this country and not so passionately concerned with issues that do kill people?

Is it because you're a racist xenophobe? Is it because you don't care if Irish people die at their own hands by suicide by the thousands but do care if the big bad radical Muslims kill one of us some day?

My point belongs in this thread. The point is all this focus on Ibrahim Halawa and radical Islam is LAUGHABLY disproportionate to any real threat "they" pose to us or our way of life.

The biggest threats we face as a nation are the suicide epidemic, road traffic fatalities and our hospital crises. They are all REAL, IMMINENT, ONGOING threats to our nation. Radical Islam is a make-believe, wishy-washy, airy-fairy, big-bad-wolf type threat that has NOT happened here yet, MAY NOT happen and IF IT DOES happen will likely not kill many people at all.

I'd love if some of you showed a blind bit of interest in those real threats, even 10% what you show in Ibrahim Halawa, a young fella who did feck all wrong and was cleared by a court of law.

Point out where im "passionately concerned with Radical Islamists" please.

Im participating in the thread's topic, you are trying to derail it by saying "you should care more about these other things I feel are more important". I think there's a specific issue about his father that is conveniently ignored by many of the Halawas supporters when they talk about the families integration. He's also a member of a terrorist organisation, why that is something people take so lightly i will never understand.

FYI im not worried about an attack here i just don't like hypocrisy and people saying how great and Irish the kids are while conveniently ignoring the father is the height of hypocrisy. Also last time i checked membership of a terrorist organisation was still a bad thing?

Why was Sweden attacked? Surely they weren't high up on the prime candidate list. They're as liberal as ya can be.

Go ask the terrorist who did it, I'm not psychic?

I deal with facts right now.

Radical Islamist attacks in Ireland since (ever) = 0

If that total rises to 1, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,267 ✭✭✭emo72

Suicide, road fatalities, self harm. But yis forgot the best one. Nut allergies!

• Advertisement

emo72 wrote: »
    Suicide, road fatalities, self harm. But yis forgot the best one. Nut allergies!

Peanut allergies do kill more than radical Islamists.

But "not on purpose" right? Let's ignore stuff we could actually solve and focus all our energy racism on problems that don't yet exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

splashuum wrote: »
    Is this not good news?

It is indeed Good News.

Not alone for the Hawala family and their long running efforts,but also for Charlie Flanagan,his Senior Officials in the DFA and,more importantly the many Irish Consular Officials in Egypt who over the years,from Day 1,have assisted and supported Ibrahim Hawala.

Interestingly,Ibrahim Hawala and c.50 others were found not guilty,with a wide range of punishments imposed on the several hundred others (None received the Death Penalty).

Over the past few years,the thrust of the Sisters campaign has been that the Egyptian authorities would not provide their brother with a fair trial,and that he faced imminent death whilst Imprisoned.

Notwithstanding the reality that Ibrahim Hawala was the most accessible and oft-quoted prisoner in the Egyptian Prison System,the fact that Egypt's judicial process (A little bit "different" to our own) has tried and found him innocent on the evidence presented,is surely some evidence of a functioning Judicial process.

So yes,it's a win-win for everybody,including the Egyptian Government and Judicial system,something which I wuld imagine the Egyptian Ambassador to Ireland will be keen to underline when She appears alongside Ibrahim Hawala on the Late Late Show and other such programmes,if she's invited :D:D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Suicide and road fatalities account for what, nearly 9,000 deaths in Ireland since 2001. That's triple the amount of people that died in 9/11 at the hands of radical Islamists.

Maybe if all those 9,000 died at once we would sit up and take serious action but nope.

Road deaths have f*ck all to with extremist acts carried out on purpose. You may as well be including heart disease.
    Radical Islamists have killed nobody here in the last 16 years and, heaven forbid, if they ever bomb Dublin (which they won't) they'll probably kill a handful of people.

I'm glad you can tell the future. I'm sure there was a fella on the Swedish version of boards saying the same before a runaway truck mowed down innocent. But as you said, sure it's only a handful of people. Those peanuts though, they're the real killers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,267 ✭✭✭emo72

Peanut allergies do kill more than radical Islamists.

But "not on purpose" right? Let's ignore stuff we could actually solve and focus all our energy racism on problems that don't yet exist.

Yep. Let's keep it focused on the real problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Are you nuts? You don't care what the MB believe?

Yeah I honestly don't care what the MB believe, I don't care what Neo-Nazi's believe, Irish nationalists believe, I don't care what right-wing and left-wing extremist groups believe.

I don't care what anyone believes.

I care about respecting the laws of the land. If you break a law, you should be arrested, put on trial and go from there. They can all believe whatever nutty stuff they want but if they break a law they should be charged and tried for it.

As for attending rallys, the Charlottesville rally is a good example of how I feel.

All those racist losers marching with torches were disgusting but it was the fella in the car mowing down the innocent civilians I had the most problem with because he broke laws. Many of the neo-nazi's were not arrested because they broke no laws and it wasn't a crime to have nutty beliefs.

Same gig with Ibrahim. I don't care what he believes or what rallys he attended. If he broke no laws, that's ok.

It's an "I'm all right Jack" sort of response yeah ? So it doesn't concern you that the Muslim Brotherhood (of which Mr Halawa and his family are supporters) have bombed, burned and slaughtered Coptic Christians in Egypt ? Should Mr Halawa and his family be asked if they condone this ? If they condemn this unequivocally? I doubt any of the media luvvies fawning over Islam will ask the hard questions or get answers ?.
    Mr Halawa should have had a speedy trial of course but had he stayed clear of the protests in Egypt he wouldn't have been detained would he ? He has to make his mind up - he can't be an Irish citizen here and a Muslim Brotherhood sympathizer when in Egypt and them expect Ireland Inc to go rescue him when his little Egyptian crusade goes pearshaped.

emo72 wrote: »
    Yep. Let's keep it focused on the real problems.

Yeah, I mean why try prevent 500 people dying from suicide this year by doing something decent like contributing to mental health discussion when you can spend your time far better moaning about the HUGE threat of the radical Muslims! Bigly threat to us alright, batting a perfect 0/0 in attacks attempted/completed in last 30 years.

Just to clarify, are you calling me a racist? Can you point to any racist thing I've ever said on this site? Ever? Go on ahead. I'll wait. The absolute neck of you if you are. Throwing out the race card isn't exactly a new tactic, I'll give you that.

You're the one bringing people's colour and race into this conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

This time next year we'll all be under Sharia law!!!!!!!!!

Just to clarify, are you calling me a racist? Can you point to any racist thing I've ever said on this site? Ever? Go on ahead. I'll wait. The absolute neck of you if you are. Throwing out the race card isn't exactly a new tactic, I'll give you that.

You're the one bringing people's colour and race into this conversation.

Ditto Id like for the piece of text that shows im a racist to be quoted too please

• Advertisement

Go ask the terrorist who did it, I'm not psychic?

Hmmmmmm....
    if they ever bomb Dublin (which they won't) .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement