Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

So it doesn't concern you that the Muslim Brotherhood (of which Mr Halawa and his family are supporters) have bombed, burned and slaughtered Coptic Christians in Egypt ? Should Mr Halawa and his family be asked if they condone this ?

Should we go asking every Irish person did they condone the IRA packing 30lb's of nails into the Hyde Park bomb with the explicit intention of causing maximum damage to military and civilians?

I'd bet seriously good money (If I had it) that the IRA and their aims (United Ireland through violent struggle) were supported by hundreds of thousands of people on this island in 1982.

Why the F should we go asking Ibrahim if he condones what happened to the Coptic Christians or not? It's not a bloody crime to "support" or "cheerlead" terrorist organisations, even barbaric ones.

He's entitled to whatever views he wants on any subject, no matter how abhorrent. We live in a country where it's not a crime to hold douchebag nutty views on things.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Hmmmmmm....

@ me when they bomb us ok.

Hopefully I'll be in the spot they bomb and die instantly so I won't have to listen to the insufferable, gleeful "I told you so's" on here.

Just to clarify, are you calling me a racist? Can you point to any racist thing I've ever said on this site? Ever? Go on ahead. I'll wait. The absolute neck of you if you are. Throwing out the race card isn't exactly a new tactic, I'll give you that.

You're the one bringing people's colour and race into this conversation.

What part of "most of you" did you not compute? Most is not all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

emo72 wrote: »
    Peanut allergies do kill more than radical Islamists.

But "not on purpose" right? Let's ignore stuff we could actually solve and focus all our energy racism on problems that don't yet exist.

Yep. Let's keep it focused on the real problems.

Try telling the people of Manchester, Brussels, London, Paris, Barcelona etc that radical Islam isn't a real problem ? Not here yet perhaps, but not because we're Irish and we're safe from that sort of thing - terrorism is indiscriminate as we've seen - we become complacent at our peril. Don't think we're an exception - we've just been lucky so far. To say radical Islam isn't our concern is to airbrush the bombing and killing sprees in the name of Islamic fundamentalism that were London, Paris etc . We need to stand in solidarity with Europe rather than burying our heads in the sand and hoping the terrorists give us a free pass. By all means respect Islam and all other religions as well, but we can't be seen to be indifferent to radicalism whatever quarter it comes from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Hopefully I'll be in the spot they bomb and die instantly so I won't have to listen to the insufferable, gleeful "I told you so's" on here.

This totally discredits all your posts on this subject.

Bravo and goodbye

• Advertisement

Try telling the people of Manchester, Brussels, London, Paris, Barcelona etc that radical Islam isn't a real problem ? Not here yet perhaps, but not because we're Irish and we're safe from that sort of thing - terrorism is indiscriminate as we've seen - we become complacent at our peril.

Worrying about terrorism is like worrying about if a family member might get cancer some day.

They might. They might not. There might be prudent things they can do to minimize the risk but ultimately it's not certain to prevent it.

If radical Islamists want to immediately lose a lot of the tacit support/moral indifference they have among ordinary Muslims, a good way to do it is to start attacking countries like Ireland, like Switzerland etc which are universally perceived to be neutral places. More so Ireland because we're also universally perceived as a victim of British oppression. People don't support attacking victims.

There's not a lot any government can do if one fruitcake or a team of fruitcakes with a pressure cooker wants to blow himself up here and kill innocent people in Dublin or Cork or wherever.

I'm not going to worry about it. I don't see it happening. My indifference towards Islam won't change a thing. It's a backwards anachronistic religion just like MOST major religions. They're all a bunch of toxic fairytales used to build cults and it always results in violence.

Worrying about it is a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Worrying about terrorism is like worrying about if a family member might get cancer some day.

So you could say its then also similar to worrying about if a family member might be in a car crash :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Its gas the way many here on this thread still remain completely silent about the calls in this thread to murder Ibrahim Halawa and Leo Varadkar. It's almost like it's only muslim terrorism they object to.

Seeing as you and Bill86 are trying to push it as a viable threat it would be hypocritical and remiss of you not to contact An Garda Síochána with your concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks he was out there on holiday and not to cause trouble, needs their head checked.
    He was out there for trouble, he should be locked up. If anyone from another country came to ours and started protesting against our government and encouraging violence they'd be locked up.

He was locked up. For 4 years. You'd maybe get 10 weeks in Ireland if even.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

emo72 wrote: »
    Yep. Let's keep it focused on the real problems.

Yeah, I mean why try prevent 500 people dying from suicide this year by doing something decent like contributing to mental health discussion when you can spend your time far better moaning about the HUGE threat of the radical Muslims! Bigly threat to us alright, batting a perfect 0/0 in attacks attempted/completed in last 30 years.

So you wish to completely disregard the Irish citizens who lost their lives to Islamic extremism in Tunisia, New York, Turkey and London?

Absolutely shameful.

• Advertisement

enda1 wrote: »

Yeah and thats how their system works, ill admit its not good but again if he wasn't aware going out that's his own fault, he got himself into the situation I dont see why anyone else is responsible for getting him out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Hmmmmmm....

So on one hand you condemn posters on here for disregarding the plight of suicide victims, and on the other, you make a rather glib comment about wishing to die, you're not particularly consistant now are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Ireland could probably do with less islam rather than more islam in these times.

I don't think I could ever bring myself to see Mr. Halawa as some innocent abroad who got caught up in something through unfortunate circumstances. The trial delay was wrong, yes. But I don't know how he became a cause celebre for liberals - we all saw the footage of the shouting on the stage in Cairo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Hoping wonderfullife is a WUM.
    Scarey to think someone could be so unquestioning & naive

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

VinLieger wrote: »
    enda1 wrote: »

Yeah and thats how their system works, ill admit its not good but again if he wasn't aware going out that's his own fault, he got himself into the situation I dont see why anyone else is responsible for getting him out of it
    He was arrested while visiting his family for taking part in a protest against the military overthrow of an elected government. As an Irish citizen he was entitled to and received the support of the Irish State via the DFA and embassy to have his case expedited.  He spent four years in jail; no evidence was presented against him and he was acquitted.

These are the facts.  The rest is bu***hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,143 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Careful now lads. This fella-lady likes to get personal and likes people on Quotas on threads

First Up wrote: »
    He was arrested while visiting his family for taking part in a protest against the military overthrow of an elected government. As an Irish citizen he was entitled to and received the support of the Irish State via the DFA and embassy to have his case expedited. He spent four years in jail; no evidence was presented against him and he was acquitted.
    These are the facts. The rest is bu***hit.

No, two Taoiseach, the Minister for Foreign affairs as well as several other ministers and TD's got involved directly which should not have happened as its blatant special treatment, should we now expect the same treatment for every other Irish citizen locked up abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

There's so many strawmen in this thread.

So you could say its then also similar to worrying about if a family member might be in a car crash :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

There's a pretty big difference.

I could tell a family member to avoid extended periods in the sun as a piece of advice to try avoid skin cancer.

I could also tell them to avoid driving tonight while legless drunk.

The latter piece of advice is far more likely to reduce the risk of the event occurring and, more importantly, the event is current. Driving legless drunk tonight would affect your chances of dying tonight. Avoiding the sun might affect your chances of getting skin cancer in 30 years.

I.e. address existing problems, not *potential* future problems. By all means address all problems but from my vantage point the usual suspects on these threads care disproportionately about radical islam.
    So on one hand you condemn posters on here for disregarding the plight of suicide victims, and on the other, you make a rather glib comment about wishing to die, you're not particularly consistant now are you?

It's called a "joke" aka sarcasm. Maybe not the best.

I'm tired I've been battling right-wing anti-Islam sentiments for the last 16 hours straight, 26 hours if you include twitter.

This young fella didn't do a lot wrong in my eyes.

All those neo-nazi's that turned up to Charlottesville, I guarantee most of them have extremely hateful ideas and beliefs but zero intention of committing a crime. None of them were arrested for their beliefs (quite rightly), arrests were made when laws were broken.

Same story here. I don't care if Ibrahim has hateful beliefs or that he allegedly showed up to MB rallies to support them. I only care about whether he committed a crime. The answer is "no, he didn't" so he should go home (Dublin) and have a pint and chill out, followed closely on the heels by massive support and monitoring from mental health services so he is not at risk of harming himself or others.

tupenny wrote: »
    Hoping wonderfullife is a WUM.
    Scarey to think someone could be so unquestioning & naive

No wind-up.

I just look at the facts and the facts are there have been 7.3 billion threads on Boards about Radical Islam and ZERO attacks in Ireland.

It's tough to get concerned over a non-existent threat. If it becomes existent, I'll worry about it.

• Advertisement

He was arrested while visiting his family for taking part in a protest against the military overthrow of an elected government. As an Irish citizen he was entitled to and received the support of the Irish State via the DFA and embassy to have his case expedited.  He spent four years in jail; no evidence was presented against him and he was acquitted.
    These are the facts.  The rest is bu***hit.

No, two Taoiseach, the Minister for Foreign affairs as well as several other ministers and TD's got involved directly which should not have happened as its blatant special treatment, should we now expect the same treatment for every other Irish citizen locked up abroad?
    If there are grounds to do so - i.e. a four year delay in it coming to trial - then maybe yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

They might. They might not. There might be prudent things they can do to minimize the risk but ultimately it's not certain to prevent it.

If radical Islamists want to immediately lose a lot of the tacit support/moral indifference they have among ordinary Muslims, a good way to do it is to start attacking countries like Ireland, like Switzerland etc which are universally perceived to be neutral places. More so Ireland because we're also universally perceived as a victim of British oppression. People don't support attacking victims.

There's not a lot any government can do if one fruitcake or a team of fruitcakes with a pressure cooker wants to blow himself up here and kill innocent people in Dublin or Cork or wherever.

I'm not going to worry about it. I don't see it happening. My indifference towards Islam won't change a thing. It's a backwards anachronistic religion just like MOST major religions. They're all a bunch of toxic fairytales used to build cults and it always results in violence.

Worrying about it is a waste of time.

Just wondering if you think the same about radical Republican terrorists here in Ireland? Should the garda keep an eye on them to stop them murdering innocent people who don't share their views or are not Catholic/Nationalist/Republican?

Or let them at it as there "not a lot any government can do"?

PhilipsR wrote: »
    There's so many strawmen in this thread.
    I wonder are they working in shifts

Careful now lads. This fella-lady likes to get personal and likes people on Quotas on threads

Careful more right-wing nuts arriving to anti-Islam thread to scare-monger.

Dominic Elsworth wouldn't ride you into battle how's that for personal? Now carry on your usual cry about Islam.

If there are grounds to do so - i.e. a four year delay in it coming to trial - then maybe yes.

Thats how their system works, I don't think its right and its quite obviously corrupt but who are we to try interfere? Again he should have known well what he was getting into, he probably did and wanted to play the martyr, in fact this publicity circus is probably more than he could ever have hoped for

Thats how their system works, I don't think its right and its quite obviously corrupt but who are we to try interfere? Again he should have known well what he was getting into, he probably did and wanted to play the martyr, in fact this publicity circus is probably more than he could ever have hoped for
    The State has a duty of care of its citizens.  This falls comfortably within that remit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

How things have ended up are a win-win for Egypt. They're rid of.. and any future issues are this country's problem.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Just wondering if you think the same about radical Republican terrorists here in Ireland? Should the garda keep an eye on them to stop them murdering innocent people who don't share their views or are not Catholic/Nationalist/Republican?

Or let them at it as there "not a lot any government can do"?

Look we all know the Guards are keeping an eye on Muslims, Christians, the lot.

Eurpol, Interpol, whatever they're called, MI5, MI6, CIA, DGSE, whatever if they have information on threats the Guards will be on top of it whether it's Islamic, dissident republican/loyalist.

I know people like to act like the guards do fook all but they do enough.

No police force in the world has the capability to prevent all terrorism, you know that and I know that. They do their best.

We're an extremely low risk target for radical Islamists, that's borne out by the fact they have never attacked us.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Russia? North Korea? China etc?

They are unelected so fight them.

And likewise I'll support anyone fighting against them. Your point is...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,143 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Careful more right-wing nuts arriving to anti-Islam thread to scare-monger.

Dominic Elsworth wouldn't ride you into battle how's that for personal? Now carry on your usual cry about Islam.

Yet here you are defending a right wing organisation.

You're most ring wing person on the thread

Pot kettle.

Bye

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement