Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    TV3 news suggesting government sending private plane for him

It'll be Freedom of the City next....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

MadYaker wrote:
    You are being intentionally disengenous. The beginings of the revolution had started long before the Halawas decided to get involved.
    It wasn't a revolution. It was a military coup. There were protests for several weeks but the shooting of protestors happened after the Halawas arrived. That is what caused the escalation and what caused them to "get involved".
    MadYaker wrote:
    Do you not think it is strange that his parents would send their children to a country where there is a good chance that widespread violence is about to break out? His father has been linked to the muslim brotherhood in the past who were the ones being removed from power so it was obvious that this was a very dangerous place for his family to be. Why do you think he let them go?
    No I don't think it strange that they would want to visit their family. The military hadn't advertised their intention to shoot protestors and escalate the tensions.
    MadYaker wrote:
    Also, there was nothing democratic about Mohammad Morsi's government.
    Other than them being democratically elected that is.

My recollection is that he had an opportunity to return home at the time, the ambassador had secured him safe passage. The sisters took it but he turned it down. The whole thing seems to have been a publicity stunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

I still haven't seen any credible evidence that supports him being part of the muslim brotherhood or that he tore up his Irish passport.

The only "evidence" I can find people using, leads back to a blogger who is attempting to pass off his opinion as fact. A blogger who holds an extremely unhealthy obsession with israel and someone who spends all his free time arguing with people on the internet.

Please don't tell me that 4 years of hysteria is based solely upon the conjecture and hearsay of a blogger on the internet. Surely one of the right wing tabloid rags in this country have covered the story and this is what people are using to form their opinions?

These claims can't be down to just one person, can they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Let the bandwagoning begin!
    Everyone, of the political class, will claim a hand in securing this 'victory for human rights, etc'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

So after 4 years in prison and over 30 adjournments he's finally acquited on all charges

link

I can sense a lot of people aren't going to be happy
    Calling all Catholics, please pray for his safe return in the coming days. I am delighted for his family.

He was acquitted so he was not guilty, am I correct. I am not sure what the charge was. Did it have something to do with supporting the Muslim Brotherhood? I know they were democratically elected but they did not seem to be that good, a bit like Erdogan in Turkey only a bit more extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

My recollection is that he had an opportunity to return home at the time, the ambassador had secured him safe passage. The sisters took it but he turned it down. The whole thing seems to have been a publicity stunt.

You could improve your recollection with some readily available facts.
    There was talk of "safe passage" out of the mosque. The Halawas say they thought it too risky as the army was still outside.

The police eventually entered and took the occupants to jail. The Halawa girls spent 3 months in jail before being bailed and allowed leave Egypt.

There was never an offer or an option for any of them leave the mosque and return to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It was idiotic for them to go there in the first place and even more idiotic to get involved in the protests when people were getting shot. How could their parents have let them do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

MadYaker wrote: »
    It was idiotic for them to go there in the first place and even more idiotic to get involved in the protests when people were getting shot. How could their parents have let them do that?

Don't get me started about his father.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Everyone, of the political class, will claim a hand in securing this 'victory for human rights, etc'.

Zappone was up early to be on Ireland AM at 7.30 am to wax lyrical.

Politicians. Doesn't matter if they are right, left or centre.

They really are just a bunch of self-serving, egotistical troglodytes that don't really give a **** about the people. Unless it gives them publicity that allows them stroke their own egos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

buck65 wrote: »
    Well I'm not the person I was when I was 17, looking back I hadn't a clue. But thank God I feel I am a better person now. Give the man a chance he has suffered enough. At least he stood up for what he believes and put his life in danger something I've never had to do thankfully, and I'd imagine neither have you.

Really what do you or I know about it? You can cite groups and differences but that country is a mess.

I have matured since 17 too yes obviously but it doesn't mean I dont think that at 17 I was too young to be held accountable and should have been given a free pass due to my age

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The govt jet sent for this character????? Wtf !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Politicians. Doesn't matter if they are right, left or centre,

They really are just a bunch of self-serving, egotistical troglodytes that don't really give a **** about the people. Unless it gives them publicity that allows them stroke their own egos.

Ah Zappone. She's great isn't she :D:D

Must keep an eye out for the next bandwagon she jumps on.

It's a damning indictment of the political situation in this state that she is in the cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Who votes for these muppets ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭ebbsy

ebbsy wrote: »

Anyone who voted zappone needs to lose their voting rights for ever more lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Anyone who voted zappone needs to lose their voting rights for ever more lol

very democratic of you I am not a fan of her's.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I'm pretty sure the government jet was sold and there was only one jet. I reckon this is fake news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

So after 4 years in prison and over 30 adjournments he's finally acquited on all charges

link

I can sense a lot of people aren't going to be happy
    Does anyone really care?

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Does anyone really care?

I can't see his homecoming beating the Italia 90 homecoming.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Does anyone really care?

Well 560 posts here in a day, so obviously some folk do

Well 560 posts here in a day, so obviously some folk do

It's topical, can't see people caring. Hope he doesn't come back here, there's no smoke without fire

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

It's topical, can't see people caring. Hope he doesn't come back here, there's no smoke without fire

he will be coming back here, there is lots of smoke without fire in this case. he was acquited of his charges and is therefore innocent.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

he will be coming back here, there is lots of smoke without fire in this case. he was acquited of his charges and is therefore innocent.

LOL how naive of you, if only life was that simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Does anyone really care?
    Hope he doesn't come back here
    Well clearly someone cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Always worth remembering that this idiot had safe passage negotiated for himself and his sisters out of the mosque by Ambassador Moylan and he refused to take it.

I'm glad he's safe and on his way home, but let's not pretend anything other than stupidity led him to spend so much time locked up. He'd have been home 4 years ago if he'd not been such an arse.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

You'd be surprised, the old threads on him in politics ran for thousands of posts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭gw80

Yea just like OJ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I can't see his homecoming beating the Italia 90 homecoming.

Just as well he wasn't acquitted last week or his arrival might have detracted from the celebrations of the three-in-a-row :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Bet he'll turn on the Christmas lights and marshal the St. Patrick's Day parade.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement