Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Options

Comments

Donal55 wrote: »
    And ...

Can anyone say they never made mistakes or had poor judgment at that age? He was only a teenager

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I'd like to see a journalist ask some hard questions as to why he was really there and why he went on stage during a Muslim brotherhood rally and started addressing a large crowd. He was, as we are led to believe, there on holidays.

But no-one will have the balls to ask that and it will all be soft-soaped.

Sortof irrelevant to the issue of being acquitted on the charges of which he was accused after a four year process though, no?

Doubtless the Gardai etc will note his Brotherhood links for future reference, but if the charge wasn't "Supporting the Brotherhood", does that matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Delighted he's been acquitted. Was a disgrace how it's been handled over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭gw80

I have seen some of the comments on Facebook and elsewere, and the vast majority of supporters for this guy are women.
    And of the women that i know on Facebook , i know that they did not do any research on this guy,
    What gives?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭bullpost

gw80 wrote: »
    I have seen some of the comments on Facebook and elsewere, and the vast majority of supporters for this guy are women.
    And of the women that i know on Facebook , i know that they did not do any research on this guy,
    What gives?

Smouldering latin looks ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Bet he can't wait to get home to his Egyptian cotton towels...................................

• Registered Users Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Better that he is released, the interest in him will die down now thankfully that it is all over.

Anyway, as long as he (and his silent Dad from the Clonskeagh Mosque), together with the daughters who now want their Turkish Muslim arranged spouses granted free entry here are kept in the sights I will be kind of happy.

Hope he is never interviewed on any channel here either. FGS. Leave that to his legal advisors please.

First up though LLS Quelle Surprise.

When is he coming home to the bosom of his family anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,838 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

RayM wrote: »
    I'd say a lot of racists are very unhappy right now...

Yes, home. To the country where he was born.

Oh it's so easy to throw out the racism card and thus try to stifle any questions or debate on the issue isn't it? I don't think many are buying anymore though.

And there are questions to be asked... like (as mentioned above) he was on-stage addressing a crowd while allegedly on holidays.

Yes, the ridiculously delayed trial/hearing of the case is a disgrace - but.. their country, their rules - and good for him that he's been released.

But it doesn't erase the questions and motivations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

He'll be on with Turps in a week or 2 and you can be sure no hard questions will be asked:mad:.

Ian O'Doherty may ask those questions. Not to Halawa directly as there will be a wall of silence around those issues from his camp.

But O'Doherty will get harangued and screeched at from the Far-Left if and when he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭gw80

Nice for him that he is coming 'home'. Hopefully he learned his lesson after his Egyptian holiday.

Pathological altruism.

Twill be the ruination of us,i tells ya

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Oh it's so easy to throw out the racism card and thus try to stifle any questions or debate on the issue isn't it? I don't think many are buying anymore though.

It's extremely easy to throw out the racism card, especially when After Hours is absolutely riddled with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Start Interview:
    Tubs: so, did you get a cup of Barry's tea yet?
    IH: I did.
    Tubs: great, thanks for coming on the show.
    End Interview

Ian O'Doherty may ask those questions. Not to Halawa directly as there will be a wall of silence around those issues.

But O'Doherty will get harangued and screeched at from the Far-Left.

No it won't happen.

George Hook is gone as a result of that.

We are just nodding donkeys in unison now. Nothing can be said that doesn't conform to the Leftie Liberal mantra.

It is worse than North Korea here now.

Free speech, you must be joking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

He was only a kid of 17

So what?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

And there are questions to be asked... like (as mentioned above) he was on-stage addressing a crowd while allegedly on holidays.

Yes, the ridiculously delayed trial/hearing of the case is a disgrace - but.. their country, their rules - and good for him that he's been released.

But it doesn't erase the questions and motivations.
    I totally disagree on the their country their rules part. The right to a fair and timely trial is a basic human right

It's extremely easy to throw out the racism card, especially when After Hours is absolutely riddled with them.

Newsflash: No matter how much people like yourself may like to believe that anyone who thinks otherwise is a big oul racist, xenophobe (or whatever other emotive nonsense ye care to use), someone's skin colour, religion, or country of origin doesn't make them immune from scrutiny.

Not just applicable to this individual/case either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

He was only a kid of 17

What age was the lad who planted the bomb on the London Underground on Friday? 18 or 19, wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,492 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I did think EOTR would beat Ray to the "rascism" card but EOTR is slowing down.

Mod-Banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

splashuum wrote: »
    Is this not good news?

Depends who you ask. !
    It was a political verdict rather than a judicial one.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

gw80 wrote: »
    What gives?

Have a look at the hpv anti vaxer stuff on Facebook. You'll see a similar pattern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,088 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

What age was the lad who planted the bomb on the London Underground on Friday? 18 or 19, wasn't it?

It's ok though he just a kid, let him run free with nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Do a bit of reading up on the Muslim Brotherhood and come back and tell me this is a good thing. I for one won't be at the airport welcoming him back to my country.

Newsflash: No matter how much people like yourself may like to believe that anyone who thinks otherwise is a big oul racist, xenophobe (or whatever other emotive nonsense ye care to use), someone's skin colour, religion, or country of origin doesn't make them immune from scrutiny.

Not just applicable to this individual/case either.

Here's another newsflash - No matter how much people like yourself might like to believe that nothing is ever racist (unless white people are on the receiving end, obviously), some things are. Look at the people on this thread trying to claim that Ireland (the country where he was born and grew up) is not 'home' to Ibrahim Halawa. Tell me those people aren't racists. Go on, I could do with a good laugh.

Here's another newsflash - No matter how much people like yourself might like to believe that nothing is ever racist (unless white people are on the receiving end, obviously), some things are. Look at the people on this thread trying to claim that Ireland (the country where he was born and grew up) is not 'home' to Ibrahim Halawa. Tell me those people aren't racists. Go on, I could do with a good laugh.

I'm afraid you lost any remaining credibility when you inferred the "white privilege/victimhood" motivation. I don't recall anyone denying that racism exists and is a real problem?

This (case) and the questions being asked just isn't it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I think I would rather see him get an interview on a news/political based show, where proper questions will be asked, ie, why where you there, why did you attend a political rally, why did you get up on the stage, rather than Tubbers on the LLS, which will probably just focus on the conditions he faced, which is important too, and what was the first thing he did when getting home, ie, going for the emotional stance.

On his actual release, I think just glad he get his eventual trail, and done with.

Clonskeagh Mosque is all you need to know.

Ireland is terrified of upsetting them.

I hope they are kosher (jeez what a faux pas), but it is obviously a fkn hotbed.

And we are so NICE we would never question anything about them would we. Never.

Some day I will go out there, but I wonder if I would be welcomed in Western clothing as a woman. Just to see like. But I doubt it.

It is all so secretive, well that's what it seems to me anyway. I would be happy to be corrected as a non Muslim woman.

I'm afraid you lost any remaining credibility when you inferred the "white privilege/victimhood" motivation. I don't recall anyone denying that racism exists and is a real problem?

This (case) and the questions being asked just isn't it though.

Is it racist to imply that Ireland is not Ibrahim Halawa's home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

He was irish when he needed the support of the irish government. He is syrian and got into the ****e protesting. Pity they released him.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Firstly I don't think he or anybody should have waited 4 years for a trial. That was wrong.

I'm not 'delighted ' that he's innocent and I wouldn't be 'delighted ' if found guilty. He's either guilty or innocent in the eyes of their courts and that's all that matters.

But he has a lot of questions to answer and the Gardai should take him in for questioning as well as keeping a closer eye on him and his family.

There's a possibility that he's been heavily radicalised in prison in the same way many in the North were radicalised during internment. The Gardai are already keeping tabs on his family, resources should not be spared for them and the work that they do.

I'd like to know his true feelings regarding the support and opposition (or lack thereof) that he feels he got from Ireland, but I don't think anybody will get a chance to ask him that in public at length.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Anyone who thinks he was out there on holiday and not to cause trouble, needs their head checked.
    He was out there for trouble, he should be locked up. If anyone from another country came to ours and started protesting against our government and encouraging violence they'd be locked up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement