Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Options

Comments

Irish Ambassador in Cairo Seán O’Regan, who was present in court to witness Mr Halawa being acquitted, said: “We have begun following up with the Egyptian authorities with the aim of securing Mr Halawa’s release.”
    The court in Cairo also acquitted Mr Halawa’s sisters Somaia, Fatima and Omaima in absentia. They left Egypt in November 2013 after receiving bail and returned to Ireland.

Speaking at the family home in Firhouse, Dublin, Fatima said the support from the Irish people had been “amazing”. The family had received “letters and texts and invitations ... It’s just beautiful, from people I’ve never seen or met”.

Some of the negative commentary about her brother and the family on social media “definitely” got to her personally, while others in the family “just ignored it”.

It hurt her “because I grew up here. Ibrahim was born here.”
    “Definitely it [social media commentary] was hurtful but at some point you have to understand that some people like to benefit from other people’s pain and suffering. It says more about who they are and not who I am.”
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ibrahim-halawa-s-sister-criticises-negative-social-media-comments-1.3227092

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

Omackeral wrote: »
    Well my brother didn't go on stage speaking at a politically rally in a foreign country so that's how come he didn't end up in the clink.

So are you saying there is in fact zero parallels between the two situations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Gringo180 wrote: »
    What? I was robbed in Tenerife a few years back, no money, no passport, paying tax all my life, I dont recall the government getting me a private jet home let alone paying for my ticket. I had to get money sent to me via wester union and pay 25 euro for the emergency passport ffs.

My brother and sister in law are holed up in a box room overseas as we speak through no fault of their own. They've two young kids at home. They scrimped and saved and had a long weekend getaway on their own, first since the kids were born. They're Irish citizens, they're stressed. There's hundreds like them at present sleeping rough in poxy airports. Where's the help for all these?

Sorry to hear that. If you were an Irish citizen locked up for 4 years, in what was pretty much interment, i'd be calling for you to be brought home too.

Whether he has the means to pay shouldn't come into it.
    He's an Irish citizen that's been treated appallingly for years. There was no evidence to charge him, therefore he was acquitted.

Welcome home Ibrahim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Well it's relevant as there are parallels. People are saying we've a stressed Irish citizen abroad in need of coming home. We've hundreds of them at the minute stressed with money, family and job worries. I'm not saying it's a mirror image whatsoever, I'm saying we have people misplaced through absolutely zero fault of their own. That's simply all.

Also, I've had my dealings with Ryanair in the past and won't use them again. They don't reply to mails and you can't get them on the phone. Their customer service is non existent but that's a different topic!

It is really isn't a parallel at all. Yea it sucks what's happened to Ryanair user's. That's on Ryanair though.

Halawa situation is quite unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

My brother and sister in law are holed up in a box room overseas as we speak through no fault of their own. They've two young kids at home. They scrimped and saved and had a long weekend getaway on their own, first since the kids were born. They're Irish citizens, they're stressed. There's hundreds like them at present sleeping rough in poxy airports. Where's the help for all these?

assuming it's to do with the ryanair issue then they are likely entitled to compensation. ultimately it's ryanair's problem to get them home i should think.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Jaysus it's like reading comments from the Journal.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jose Maria

Training Complete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

never_mind wrote: »
    Jaysus it's like reading comments from the Journal.ie.

Did you think there was a difference?

Donal55 wrote: »
    Did you think there was a difference?

I thought by joining boards.ie it would open me to a forum for academic and thoughtful discussion where opinions of others are mutually respected and nurtured.

BURN THE BONDHOLDERS
    TEACHERS GET PAID TOO MUCH
    **** IRISH WATER -CAN'T PAY, WON'T PAY
    **** LEO VARADKER
    IBRAHIM IS ONE OF THOSE ISLAMS AND IS A THREAT

I don't think any decent people have a problem with the chap's skin colour. Anyone I know who's commented negatively towards Ibrahim thinks he was a foolish lad at worst and the more extreme people who are against him go against his ideologies, not his skin colour. It's you and others making the leap to racism.

i made the leap in relation to a couple of people yes. based on their history. i don't believe that to be unreasonable. i didn't make the leap in relation to everyone who criticised him and i didn't call everyone who criticised him racist.
    Also, you only quoted half of my post. The second part said that anyone who taunted him with promises of pork were utter idiots and they are. Bigoted scumbags in my opinion, in fact.

because i agree with it.
    Nope, sorry, you're wrong.

i'm not wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

I thought by joining boards.ie it would open me to a forum for academic and thoughtful discussion where opinions of others are mutually respected and nurtured.

BURN THE BONDHOLDERS
    TEACHERS GET PAID TOO MUCH
    **** IRISH WATER -CAN'T PAY, WON'T PAY
    **** LEO VARADKER
    IBRAHIM IS ONE OF THOSE ISLAMS AND IS A THREAT

Nopes.
    Boards is where you go if there's nothing on tv, you've missed the bus, or you've had an argument with the missus.

Or in my case, its lashing out and the golf is cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

There's people dying on hospital trolleys in this county and medical cards being stripped of this most in need and this fella gets flown back to Ireland on his own special plane at the tax payers expense, it would make you want to vomit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Mutant z wrote: »
    There's people dying on hospital trolleys in this county and medical cards being stripped of this most in need and this fella gets flown back to Ireland on his own special plane at the tax payers expense, it would make you want to vomit.

Why does it make you want yo vomit?
    What is this guy guilty of exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭EMPunk

Sadly we live in a country full of spineless morons and yes people ......

Not many of the so called "racists" in here are saying anything remotely racist , merely assessing the situation for what it is , weighing up the facts and coming to a fairly logical conclusion as to why he found himself in the situation he did.

The the "progressive" do-gooder brigade chime in with "your a racist" "its cos he is muslim" etc etc etc ... zzzzzzz yawn.

You would assume that these "informed pro(RE)gressive" types wold fathom, that , it does not mean one is "racist" just because he or she has the brain capacity not portray the role of a naive sheep that looks at the world through John Lennon's rose tinted spectacles.

Look at it this way , in an "Irish" (rollseyes) context , we have not got any hard evidence that Gerry Adams has any information regarding the murder of Tom Oliver , but you would want to be some eejit to think otherwise........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Well it's relevant as there are parallels. People are saying we've a stressed Irish citizen abroad in need of coming home. We've hundreds of them at the minute stressed with money, family and job worries. I'm not saying it's a mirror image whatsoever, I'm saying we have people misplaced through absolutely zero fault of their own. That's simply all.

Also, I've had my dealings with Ryanair in the past and won't use them again. They don't reply to mails and you can't get them on the phone. Their customer service is non existent but that's a different topic!

It is really isn't a parallel at all. Yea it sucks what's happened to Ryanair user's. That's on Ryanair though.

Halawa situation is quite unique.

Yep, it's quite unique all right - not many Irish people go on holiday to demonstrate in support of Muslim Brotherhood, and it as just awful being incarcerated for 4 year and not having a prison visit from his Dad or his sisters ? Quite unique I'd agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Well he has close links to the terrorists group the MB, all his family do, this is no secret everyone but the dumb know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭TripleC

The media have changed the story from Government Jet to Private Jet after they realised the Government Jet was sold. Fake news.

I didn't want to get drawn into this discussion, however, I have seen this particular line being trotted out several times on this thread but also on several other online forums. It is incorrect. I am surprised nobody has corrected it yet.

The Irish Air Corps actually do have a Corporate Jet in their Inventory which is used by the Government for Diplomatic flights. It is a Learjet 45R. It was bought shortly after Bertie abandoned his plans for a much more grandiose Boeing or Airbus Government Jet.

The Aircraft that was sold was the Gulfstream GIV which was bought by Haughey and entered service in Approx 1991.

The Learjet is smaller and has less range then the Gulfstream, so can't fly Trans-Atlantic. It is mostly used for flights within Europe. However it has a range of 3000km with 4 passengers, so a flight to Egypt would be feasible. Although, a refueling stop may be necessary depending on pax or conditions.

If I am not mistaken it was used to evacuate Irish Citizens from Lybia (although that could have been the Casa Maritime patrol Aircraft).

EMPunk wrote: »

really? based on? ah shur look i know, it's always a bit annoying when you don't get the outcome you want. that's life.
    Not many of the so called "racists" in here are saying anything remotely racist , merely assessing the situation for what it is , weighing up the facts and coming to a fairly logical conclusion as to why he found himself in the situation he did.

facts from a blog with a particular agenda, written bya blogger who's (shall we say) credentials are rather low?
    The "progressive" do-gooder brigade

rabel rabel. you forgot that bit.
    Look at it this way , in an "Irish" (rollseyes) context , we have not got any hard evidence that Gerry Adams has any information regarding the murder of Tom Oliver , but you would want to be some eejit to think otherwise........

no, not at all. unless there is evidence that he has information then he doesn't have information. that's how the system works here, innocent until proven guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭EMPunk

Yep, it's quite unique all right - not many Irish people go on holiday to demonstrate in support of Muslim Brotherhood, and it as just awful being incarcerated for 4 year and not having a prison visit from his Dad or his sisters ? Quite unique I'd agree

Well said pal , hit the nail on the head.

It is mind numbing that the sheep posting in this thread can not see this case for what it is in exactly the black and white formula you have just spelled out for them .

Parallel the defense used in this case with a rape case where the defense is " well i was just walking in a dark alley when i slipped and wouldn't you know i fall and me flute ends up in this young one who just happened to be lying there " .... yea that sounds like simple case of wrong place wrong time eh????

whoops i said black and white , guess im a racist now:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Mutant z wrote: »

Well he has close links to the terrorists group the MB, all his family do, this is no secret everyone but the dumb know it.
    Care to elaborate on the "close links" and terrorist group" bits?
    I assume you know the MB was the elected government in Egypt and was overthrown by the military?  Does that count for anything?

• Advertisement

Did Mr Halawa and his siblings not have a "I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore Toto" moment when they went protesting in Egypt? It's naive and beyond belief to think that, given his Islamic background, he wouldn't have known of the risks involved in appearing on a protest platform in that volatile situation ? Yet we're expected to believe he was just a typical Irish las that got mixed up in something almost by accident ??
    Really ?
    Yes, his prolonged incarceration without trial was wrong, but to play the innocent abroad card stretches credulity. I hope he clarifies what happened out there when he returns, Ireland inc has expounded so much energy and hot air with concern over his incarceration and his wellbeing, we deserve an explanation, if for nothing else other than a better understanding of his motivation and beliefs and also as a justification for the taxpayers money spent on consular assistance, his expected repatriation etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I wonder how I'd be labelled because I have this view.

I've no problem with Ibrahim Halawa being allowed back in to Ireland. He is an Irish citizen after all.

If the Government have a private jet, I wouldn't be in favour of sending it over to collect Ibrahim. There are plenty of better ways that taxpayer's money can be spent.

Now, to be a bit controversial.

I wonder will the authorities put Ibrahim on a watchlist? He has spent 4 years locked up with lots of radicalised people. His family are involved in the Muslim Brotherhood. He fits the profile of someone who the authorities might like to keep an eye on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

OnDraught wrote: »
    This is the dumbest post I've read on boards in 15 years. We have a right wing government ruling over the entirety of the biggest housing crises the state has seen and there's a hashtag insinuating it's the "left's" fault. Clown.

So you've been on Boards 15 years and made a grand total of 77 posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    So you've been on Boards 15 years and made a grand total of 77 posts.

I figure you'd know well that just because his join date says 2017 doesn't mean that's his first account. ;)

BattleCorp wrote: »

I've no problem with Ibrahim Halawa being allowed back in to Ireland. He is an Irish citizen after all.

If the Government have a private jet, I wouldn't be in favour of sending it over to collect Ibrahim. There are plenty of better ways that taxpayer's money can be spent.

I wonder will the authorities put Ibrahim on a watchlist? He has spent 4 years locked up with lots of radicalised people. His family are involved in the Muslim Brotherhood. He fits the profile of someone who the authorities might like to keep an eye on.

Whether they admit it or not I have a feeling that he will be watched.

The the "progressive" do-gooder brigade chime in with "your a racist" "its cos he is muslim" etc etc etc ... zzzzzzz yawn.

You would assume that these "informed pro(RE)gressive" types wold fathom, that , it does not mean one is "racist" just because he or she has the brain capacity not portray the role of a naive sheep that looks at the world through John Lennon's rose tinted spectacles.

That's how the country is going now. People afraid to speak out in fear of the liberal agenda and power. Name one person in radio or TV who speaks their mind? The race and sexist card is played at any small sign of questioning the status quo.

Billy86 wrote: »
    I figure you'd know well that just because his join date says 2017 doesn't mean that's his first account. ;)

He said he's been on here 15 years, so either he's telling porkies or well you know.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

OnDraught wrote: »
    They're on holidays? In a hotel room. That's the same as getting out of prison after almost half a decade as an innocent man alright.

That's called 4 years in real life.

BattleCorp wrote: »

Whether they admit it or not I have a feeling that he will be watched.
    Now there's another cause for the liberal luvvies to get all riled up over - don't encourage 'em 😄

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    He said he's been on here 15 years, so either he's telling porkies or well you know.....

The join date on his account says 2017, so he could have had a different account previously.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement