Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

First Up wrote: »
    I've read that a group called Egyptians Abroad for Democracy arranged it as part of the organised protests. He was one of a number who spoke.

So did he put in an application?

He went on holiday to see the family yes?

Or did he get on stage through nepotism?

Thought he only went for a holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

AlekSmart wrote:
    What is not at issue,is the fact that the Egyptian Authorities were open to the release of the Hawalas into the custody of the Irish Ambassador.

The Irish Times article explains why it was far from that simple. There was the important matter if how they would leave the mosque without being attacked. The ambassador decided it was too dangerous to go there so that would hardly have re-assured them.

deco nate wrote:
    Thought he only went for a holiday

I expect he will explain it all to you when he gets home. I know how anxious all the posters here are to know the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The Irish Times article explains why it was far from that simple. There was the important matter if how they would leave the mosque without being attacked. The ambassador decided it was too dangerous to go there so that would hardly have re-assured them.

So it was too dangerous to leave the mosque but they had no problems sticking themselves in the middle of a protest where people had been shot during the previous few days when there was no need for them to do so at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

I expect he will explain it all to you when he gets home. I know how anxious all the posters here are to know the truth.

I'll hazard a guess and say the truth will be the last thing we'll get when he kisses the tarmac at Dublin.

• Advertisement

Well said...

So it was too dangerous to leave the mosque but they had no problems sticking themselves in the middle of a protest where people had been shot during the previous few days when there was no need for them to do so at all.

Dunno. In some circumstances people protesting a government overthrow and a massacre of civilians by the army would be called brave and idealistic. Maybe they felt there was strength in numbers.

But if you are in a building with a baying mob outside you would be entitled to be cautious.

Donal55 wrote:
    I'll hazard a guess and say the truth will be the last thing we'll get when he kisses the tarmac at Dublin.

That would be a shame, and you so open minded about it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

I wouldn't fancy sitting beside him on a plane

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

EMPunk wrote: »
    some among us studied for real degrees

i'm sure they have.
    EMPunk wrote: »
    not poxy "arts" & "entrepreneur" degrees from clown professors at micky mouse uni's

name these degrees. name these clown professors and name these micky mouse uni's. i'm rather interested, not knowing anything about them seeing as i have never studied such degrees, never met such professors nor have i ever been at such uni's.
    This was all about "little man trying to be big man" and it backfired on him.
    Four years was a big price for such a silly mistake but he had his chance to leave and the "big man" took over again. He was banking on being a "big man" in the future.
    He should pay his own way home.

he could not leave.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

Dunno. In some circumstances people protesting a government overthrow and a massacre of civilians by the army would be called brave and idealistic. Maybe they felt there was strength in numbers.

But if you are in a building with a baying mob outside you would be entitled to be cautious.
    So kinda like what happened with the MB regime that came before?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭EMPunk

deco nate wrote: »
    So kinda like what happened with the MB regime that came before?

Deco shhhhhhh , how dare you come at him with documented reality like that , thats the sort of fact we pretend don't exist , logic smogic!

Regardless of whether he committed a "crime" that warranted a 4year detention or not , if you think , and i mean genuinely believe that this poor innocent lad was "on holidays" and " got mixed up in this" you are not an idiot , not misinformed , not a moron , not left wing , right wing or feckin' chicken wing , you are an asshole , simple as that an asshole ....

A few wont like reading that and I know i shall be reprimanded for some bs reason or another as a result of posting this but ban me , warn me , flame me , whatever you like but it IS that simple , people that deny the obvious are assholes of the highest order

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Is he home yet?

Did he get the government jet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Divelment

Fair play to him, he is an Irish citizen, having been born in Ireland and whatever about his alleged crime in Egypt, it should be completely unacceptable to all Irish citizens that an Irish citizen, one of our own, that runs into difficulty with the law in any other country, should have to spend 4 years in custody awaiting trial.

Innocent or guilty, this is completely unacceptable, and I have no problem with the government jet bringing him home, it is the least we can do for him after him facing what was effectively a 4 year custodial sentence in what is pretty much a 3rd world country at least when it comes to the administration of justice, without trial.

EDIT: I'd rather see the government jet being used to bring this lad home than used as a private taxi for some useless FG ministerial stoogie.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Is he home yet?

Did he get the government jet?

no to both so far.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

Fair play to him, he is an Irish citizen, having been born in Ireland and whatever about his alleged crime in Egypt, it should be completely unacceptable to all Irish citizens that an Irish citizen, one of our own, that runs into difficulty with the law in any other country, should have to spend 4 years in custody awaiting trial.

Innocent or guilty, this is completely unacceptable, and I have no problem with the government jet bringing him home, it is the least we can do for him after him facing what was effectively a 4 year custodial sentence in what is pretty much a 3rd world country at least when it comes to the administration of justice, without trial.

EDIT: I'd rather see the government jet being used to bring this lad home than used as a private taxi for some useless FG ministerial stooge.

Would you F Off.

Mod: Banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Divelment

mcko wrote: »

EDIT: I'd rather see the government jet being used to bring this lad home than used as a private taxi for some useless FG ministerial stooge.

Would you F Off.

What part of the above have you an issue with? Maybe debate the subject rather than make a tít out of yourself on thread cursing and swearing and nobody has a clue what your view is...

If the government do send a plane to bring him home, this is a case of "keeping your enemy close"......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Worth remembering that he is, in fact, a dual citizen......of Ireland and Egypt.

And he travelled under his Egyptian passport.......so he seemed quite ok about his Egyptian birthright until the doo-doo hit the fan then he decided to be a Paddy......an innocent abroad.......just on a bit of an oul' holiday, much like Magaluf but with fewer Irish bars........and enough mugs fell for it for him to become a cause celebre!!

Jawgap wrote: »
    Worth remembering that he is, in fact, a dual citizen......of Ireland and Egypt.

And he travelled under his Egyptian passport.......so he seemed quite ok about his Egyptian birthright until the doo-doo hit the fan then he decided to be a Paddy......an innocent abroad.......just on a bit of an oul' holiday, much like Magaluf but with fewer Irish bars........and enough mugs fell for it for him to become a cause celebre!!

I'd still like to know how when he was on holiday, in a protest of thousands of people. He got picked to speak in front of the protesters. No one seems to address the point......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Jawgap wrote: »

Ah come on, if you have a choice it seems logical to use the passport of the country you are travelling to. (whether it actually a good idea or not would need a bit of legal exp to know)

We'll be a laughing stock to the world when /if something drastic happens and his name is connected.... Anyway, he's only a child, he only looks about 12 years old. ;)

Ah come on, if you have a choice it seems logical to use the passport of the country you are travelling to. (whether it actually a good idea or not would need a bit of legal exp to know)

Read back a few pages, it was addressed. I don't know if it's true or not, but the poster seems to know his/her stuff. Yet the Irish government got involved anyway, if true.

I'd still like to know how when he was on holiday, in a protest of thousands of people. He got pick to speak in front of the protesters. No one seems to address the point......

He wasn't the only one, they picked out a few other dual citizens and asked them to speak, if you believe the Mark Humphreys blog

Read back a few pages, it was addressed. I don't know if it's true or not, but the poster seems to know his/her stuff. Yet the Irish government got involved anyway, if true.

I'll have a look :thumbsup:

He wasn't the only one, they picked out a few other dual citizens and asked them to speak, if you believe the Mark Humphreys blog

Yes, but HOW were they picked? Did you read my questions about it?
    Did he put in an application before hand ?
    He was on holidays.
    Or was it nepotism.
    Again he was on holidays.
    How was he picked from thousands of protesters?
    How did a kid from Ireland that was on holidays end up on stage addressing the protesters?
    It's a key point tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Donal55 wrote: »

I'd imagine the Gardai and intelligence services have done plenty of investigating on this guy over the last four years, and I also imagine they'll be asking him plenty of questions behind closed doors in the near future including those that they already know the answers to in order to test his honesty, as well as setting up services to assist with his re-integration after four years who will also have the task of monitoring and reporting on his progress or any red flags he shows.

I would also imagine in public he would want to keep his story consistent with those told to the authorities and for that reason, I don't see any reason for him to lie in public about the circumstances surrounding his time in Egypt and I don't see much chance of him getting away with lying about it to the authorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

A few other things to consider.

1. How does he feel about "Ireland letting him down" by not "doing enough" to get him free.

2. What has he been exposed to during those 4 years. He was locked up with a fcuk tonne of nut jobs.

3. If he was indeed "on holiday" and had "no connection to the MB".....does he now?

Billy86 wrote: »
    I'd imagine the Gardai and intelligence services have done plenty of investigating on this guy over the last four years, and I also imagine they'll be asking him plenty of questions behind closed doors in the near future including those that they already know the answers to in order to test his honesty, as well as setting up services to assist with his re-integration after four years who will also have the task of monitoring and reporting on his progress or any red flags he shows.

I would also imagine in public he would want to keep his story consistent with those told to the authorities and for that reason, I don't see any reason for him to lie in public about the circumstances surrounding his time in Egypt and I don't see much chance of him getting away with lying about it to the authorities.

I really don't think our Garda are equipped to deal with theres sort of things, jesus, they can't even get the Bereath Tests right.

• Advertisement

Yes, but How were they picked? Did you read my questions about it?
    I only saw what you posted above, and I mean I can only guess as to how, but if they made themselves known to any of the organisers they'd probably have been asked to say a few words to show the crowd some international solidarity? Just guessing :D

Edit: Just saw your questions there in the edit, the above would be my guess but yours is just as valid. We'll see what he says himself I suppose

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement