Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Will be interesting to see how this progresses.

It will either be that he has been acquitted, and I agree with that, fine. Or he could be dangerous regarding radicalism.

But any comment on his family, the Clonskeagh Mosque, his non English speaking Father, the absent mother, the daughters wanting their arranged spouses to have permanent visas here and so on will not ever be mentioned.

But then again, apart from the fact that he has spent a few years in an Egyptian jail, are there others here who haven't, but may be radicalised even so?

Clonskeagh Mosque. I hope the Gardai are keeping an eye on them. Really do.

Sure nothing is allowed. Shocking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

how come it was always the sisters who were pushed to the front in interviews ?

i cant recall the father being as vocal on getting the chap out of jail .

It seems that most of the recent terrorism incidents in the UK and France involve people holding european passports.

we are fermenting the same in Ireland .

remember the children what were rescued from the "jungle" encampment ? that went well right ??

http://www.newstalk.com/Garda-seek-help-in-tracing-missing-17yearold-Armend-Ajazi

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Those questions are not allowed at all are they? And in fairness who, besides us here on an anonymous forum will ask those questions anymore.

so nothing is allowed.

It is appalling really that free speech has been shut down.

George Hook, like him or loathe him couldn't say a word. He's gone. Terrible that other voices are not heard anymore.

So locking up innocent people without trial doesn't merit a word, but a supposed shut down of free speech means whinge whinge whinge?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Cant people just be happy for him he is Irish and its a great outcome so disappointed with some of the comments here.

See..... Shut it down.

Very nice. Thank you so much for validating everything I have said so far.

And please do not assume I am anything other than a woman. I do not need any nomenclatures, even if you think I might warrant them, from your perch.:eek:

Did you just assume I am a bird!? Shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,838 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Alright Mrs. Lovejoy, chill out before you give yourself a heart attack.

She has a very valid point... you only need to read some of the threads on the first 2 pages here to see that.

There is an element (and not just on this site) that actively try to silence and discredit anyone or anything that is not consistent with their view on any given issue. Never mind dissenting views, even asking questions is apparently not permitted.

That is a very dangerous development in a country that likes to see itself as modern, enlightened and democratic.

Debate should never be stifled. By all means disagree, and counter-argue your point to support your position, but accept too that not everyone will or has to agree with you at the end of the day, and that's ok too in a free society.

But shouting someone down, ganging-up on them, or trying to paint them as racist/xenophobic/sexist/whatever!! to shut them up is just beyond the pale IMO and shouldn't be accepted or (tacitly) encouraged as is too often the case lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

See..... Shut it down.

How were you shut down as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Wohoo!!!!

Rather than address the points raised, throw out a one-liner to deflect from the content instead.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Rather than address the points raised, throw out a one-liner to deflect from the content instead.

So? You'd want to think your points were fairly weak if a one liner has "shut you down". No?

• Advertisement

So? You'd want to think your points were fairly weak if a one liner has "shut you down". No?

Nope.. but it would be nice if actual debate occurred all the same. It IS a discussion forum after all.

Nope.. but it would be nice if actual debate occurred all the same. It IS a discussion forum after all.

I'm not disagreeing but jumping at "oh I've been shut down" because someone threw a one liner at you is not debating either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

If that's the criteria, the far right wingers are the worst offenders on AH when it comes to wanting to shut down free speech.

I'm not disagreeing but jumping at "oh I've been shut down" because someone threw a one liner at you is not debating either.

I'm sure SE can well defend herself so I'll leave it after this, but she DID throw out several posts for discussion (which were quoted), but rather than counter-argue the points raised, a "witty" one-liner was the go-to instead (though in fairness, I accept this being AH may influence that)

Billy86 wrote: »
    If that's the criteria, the far right wingers are the worst offenders on AH when it comes to wanting to shut down free speech.

There's no such thing as "far-right" in this country.. this isn't America or Twitter.

She has a very valid point... you only need to read some of the threads on the first 2 pages here to see that.

There is an element (and not just on this site) that actively try to silence and discredit anyone or anything that is not consistent with their view on any given issue. Never mind dissenting views, even asking questions is apparently not permitted.

That is a very dangerous development in a country that likes to see itself as modern, enlightened and democratic.

Debate should never be stifled. By all means disagree, and counter-argue your point to support your position, but accept too that not everyone will or has to agree with you at the end of the day, and that's ok too in a free society.

But shouting someone down, ganging-up on them, or trying to paint them as racist/xenophobic/sexist/whatever!! to shut them up is just beyond the pale IMO and shouldn't be accepted or (tacitly) encouraged as is too often the case lately.

Hold on a minute, there's a difference between making a point and continually posting the same inane thing with no back up and only a few buzzwords and soundbites fired in for good measure while pretending you're making a point.

Read the posts I quoted, hyperbole.
    We cannot talk truth. Or question anything. It's over.
    I hope they are kosher (jeez what a faux pas), but it is obviously a fkn hotbed.
    It is worse than North Korea here now.
    Those questions are not allowed at all are they?
    It is appalling really that free speech has been shut down.
    George Hook, like him or loathe him couldn't say a word. He's gone. Terrible that other voices are not heard anymore.

Absolute tripe of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Could we get him on George Hook for an interview do you think? Might be a good way to ease George back onto the radio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

If that's the criteria, the far right wingers are the worst offenders on AH when it comes to wanting to shoot down free speech.

Absolutely. We already have one poster who wants to pathologise basic human decency as some kind of disorder.
    There's no such thing as "far-right" in this country.. this isn't America or Twitter.

No such thing as far-right, no such thing as racism. Move along, now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Was quoted this.... and take of it what you will, but to me it was a put/shut down.

Women should be quiet just in case lol.

Is that OK with you?

Can I have an opinion anymore now?. Thanks love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

Nope. There are no far-right on here and open a thread about immigration and we'll see who long free speech lasts before left wing, authoritarian mods lock it.

• Advertisement

Was quoted this.... and take of it what you will, but to me it was a put/shut down.

Women should be quiet just in case lol.

Is that OK with you?

Can I have an opinion anymore now?. Thanks love.

Jaysus. Calling sexism? Seriously?

Go on Kaiser. Defend that!!!

RayM wrote: »
    No such thing as far-right, no such thing as racism. Move along, now.

Allow me to direct you to my earlier response to you:
    I'm afraid you lost any remaining credibility when you inferred the "white privilege/victimhood" motivation. I don't recall anyone denying that racism exists and is a real problem?

This (case) and the questions being asked just isn't it though.

I've even highlighted the important bit for you - now, can we put this bit of deflection to bed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Allow me to direct you to my earlier response to you:

I've even highlighted the important bit for you - now, can we put this bit of deflection to bed?

It just doesn't exist on this thread, right? Not even when people are claiming that Ibrahim Halawa (born here, lived here, educated here) isn't Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Glad he's getting out. We all do crazy things in our youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

It just doesn't exist on this thread, right? Not even when people are claiming that Ibrahim Halawa (born here, lived here, educated here) isn't Irish?

He doesnt identify as Irish, til it suited of course..

Ah yes, that other well-worn tactic... seize on one single aspect to thereby dismiss the rest of the argument (made either by the same poster or others who you disagree with).

I get it Ray.. you see no issue with this man or his motivations and are thrilled he's coming home (see, no quotations - happy?) ... but that doesn't mean you're right, nor does it mean that all of the above shouldn't be openly discussed.

I mean, if these arguments are so wrong, they should be easily defeated with logical, verifiable counter-points, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

What is your opinion on the reasons for his arrest?

^^ I know I shouldn't, but I did laugh at the new poster above there. Cheers for that "Ibrahim" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Clonskeagh Mosque. I hope the Gardai are keeping an eye on them. Really do.

I was in Clonskeagh Mosque just two weeks ago. Had a falafel sandwich in the cafe,all people are welcome, Muslim or otherwise. Its open till 9pm every night. I highly recommend it, you should try it sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Who are you people screaming racist or liberal leftie at each other, and what has gone so tragically wrong in your life that you spend your time doing this?

What a monumental waste of time. Sad

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement