Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Just dipping into this thread for the first time.

Wow, there are a lot of cynical, hateful and spiteful people on this thread.

Guy was released as he was innocent, I'd say 4 years in an Egyptian prison with minimal rights is a very tough experience.

Fact is he's an Irish citizen, and therefore entitled to Irish support. As a nation that has exported people to other countries for centuries I thought people here would understand that.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

#Emotional.

And those teeth ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

murpho999 wrote: »

Guy was released as he was innocent, I'd say 4 years in an Egyptian prison with minimal rights is a very tough experience.

Fact is he's an Irish citizen, and therefore entitled to Irish support. As a nation that has exported people to other countries for centuries I thought people here would understand that.

If are genuinely new to this case I would recommend You google mark humphrys Halawa case.

A lot of people say it gives a lot of information on this case that maybe will enlighten you as to why it it so controversial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Will he make the late late show for tonight ? that is the all important question
    Did I hear the reporter on RTÉ earlier talk about the public outpouring of goodwill for him and his family ??? Where, who ????
    Sets the tone for what’s going to happen in RTÉ in coming days I guess . Hopefully this craven liberal pleasing government isn’t going to fund or supply his return - cost ? Flying him home on private plane would run to tens of thousands I reckon ? The same government who’se recent budget will give me an extra 1.50 a week in my pay packet ? Gotta love their priorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Legally speaking, in Egypt his is an Egyptian citizen. They do not recognise dual citizenship. How come Ciaran Barry Duggan and Eanna O Cochlain are not receiving half the support that Ibrahim got from DoFA? They are also Irish citizens. Haven't heard any of the liberal left whining and moaning about their cases.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Where's the Irish support for the likes of the hutches and kinihans? He's a terrorist scumbag who made his choice and should be made live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

You do realise that The Muslim brotherhood are not a sunshine and lollipops human rights group??

And the government in power that Halawa was protesting against are? Is Halawa himself a dangerous terrorist, or even a criminal.. wait, didn't they hold him for 4 years and then release him without charge?

There may be genuine questions to ask of Halawa, but most of the folks and folks who seem to be so concerned by his actions, are quite clearly tinged with tones of racism.

I'm no Halawa supporter, just calling it as I see it.

Where's the Irish support for the likes of the hutches and kinihans? He's a terrorist scumbag who made his choice and should be made live with it.

Prime example of the foaming at the mouth racist tinged post. What terrorist act did he commit? And if he did commit a terrorist act, or any actual crime... why do you reckon the Egyptians didn't bring him to trial?

If are genuinely new to this case I would recommend You google mark humphrys Halawa case.

A lot of people say it gives a lot of information on this case that maybe will enlighten you as to why it it so controversial

New to the thread not the case. Won't be hanging around either, due to level of posting in it.

Who gives a sh1te about Mark Humphrey's and his website that seems to have been designed in 1997.

People are making lot of assumption on this thread and showing a lot of hate which is not right in my opinion.

I'm sure this guy, who was 17 at the time don't forget will just want to get out of Egypt, be with his family and put his life back together.

He's acquited of all charges and is not a terrorist.

New to the thread not the case. Won't be hanging around either, due to level of posting in it.

Who gives a sh1te about Mark Humphrey's and his website that seems to have been designed in 1997.

People are making lot of assumption on this thread and showing a lot of hate which is not right in my opinion.

I'm sure this guy, who was 17 at the time don't forget will just want to get out of Egypt, be with his family and put his life back together.

He's acquited of all charges and is not a terrorist.

Still though, would you be concerned about his and his family's alleged links with the Muslim Brotherhood?

• Advertisement

How many Irish “ holidaymakers” go protesting political upheavals in the country they’re visiting ? How many Irish holidaymakers stand on protest platforms denouncing the political regime in a politically volatile state ? How many Irish get in bother abroad and have the full weight of our government and diplomatic services thrown behind them ? Will Mr Halawa and his dad publicly renounce and condemn Islamic fundamentalism ? Most Irish Citizens should have no bother doing so ? Will he even be asked the hard questions ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

He has suffered enough. I am glad he is coming home.
    I thought the Irish government/embassy could have done more pressure-wise but maybe Egypt is a basket case now, I haven't been there in years.
    Good luck to him, he will never get over that ordeal.

givyjoe wrote: »
    Prime example of the foaming at the mouth racist tinged post. What terrorist act did he commit? And if he did commit a terrorist act, or any actual crime... why do you reckon the Egyptians didn't bring him to trial?

What have I indicated in my post that leads you to the conclusion I'm a racist? I compared him to white Irish drug dealers, I didn't differentiate at all scum is scum. He wasn't brought to trial because the Irish government stuck their noses in. He was 4 years in an Egyptian prison. He wasn't in there for minding his business and keeping out of trouble.

You're the one wanting him treated different because of his ethnic background and his religious beliefs, so that makes you the racist so I'll thank you not to project your racist tendencies onto me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

How does having suspicians of the motivations of a supporter of a violent sectarian organisation democratically elected government make one a racist.

FYP there.

What have I indicated in my post that leads you to the conclusion I'm a racist? I compared him to white Irish drug dealers, I didn't differentiate at all scum is scum. He wasn't brought to trial because the Irish government stuck their noses in. He was 4 years in an Egyptian prison. He wasn't in there for minding his business and keeping out of trouble.

You're the one wanting him treated different because of his ethnic background and his religious beliefs, so that makes you the racist so I'll thank you not to project your racist tendencies onto me

That is quite the mental gymnastics in your posts there.. I'm racist because I want him treated differently?! What special treatment am I asking him to receive.

As for your posts, if they quack like a racist post.. or rather racist undertones.. you do know it can be subtle too?

So you seriously believe that the reason he didn't stand trial is because of the mighty work done by the Irish government? What actual evidence have you that the Irish governments work, stopped this going to trial? Do you think, maybe, just maybe.. it didn't go to trial as the authorities there didnt have any actual evidence of him committing a crime? He was in prison for peacefully protesting, but sure lock him up and throw away the key.

The fact you compared a guy, who was a kid at the time of his arrest, to known drug dealers and killers, despite him not actually having committed a crime.. is pretty illuminating as to your bias against Halawa.

He has suffered enough. I am glad he is coming home.
    I thought the Irish government/embassy could have done more pressure-wise but maybe Egypt is a basket case now, I haven't been there in years.
    Good luck to him, he will never get over that ordeal.
    Ur right , we should have done more , like sent a SWAT team to rescue him or invaded Egypt maybe ? After all, 20,000 hours of our diplomatic and civil servant’s time working on his behalf, funded by the taxpayer is only tokenism , right ?

Still though, would you be concerned about his and his family's alleged links with the Muslim Brotherhood?

Not really,he's been acquited by the Egyptian courts so why isn't that enough?

Also, I'm not going to be concerned about allegations made by people on the internet. Life's too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

How much do you know about the Muslim Brotherhood? (and I don't mean just what Mark Humphreys has told you.)

Ur right , we should have done more , like sent a SWAT team to rescue him or invaded Egypt maybe ? After all, 20,000 hours of our diplomatic and civil servant’s time working on his behalf, funded by the taxpayer is only tokenism , right ?

You would also be the type to be on here complaining if the civil servants did nothing to help an Irish citizen.

You do realise this is why we have embassies and foreign affairs staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

You have to look at the upside, him being released gives our own security services a chance to send this lad away.

Why would you like to see an innocent man "sent away"?

• Advertisement

How many Irish “ holidaymakers” go protesting political upheavals in the country they’re visiting ? How many Irish holidaymakers stand on protest platforms denouncing the political regime in a politically volatile state ? How many Irish get in bother abroad and have the full weight of our government and diplomatic services thrown behind them ? Will Mr Halawa and his dad publicly renounce and condemn Islamic fundamentalism ? Most Irish Citizens should have no bother doing so ? Will he even be asked the hard questions ?

Why do they have to renounce anybody?

Did the Birmingham Six of Guildford Four have to renounce the IRA when they were released and many of the British establishment believed they were still guilty.

First Up wrote: »
    How much do you know about the Muslim Brotherhood? (and I don't mean just what Mark Humphreys has told you.)

This is irrelevant but I hold a degree in history, have read many books and articles on Islamic fundamentalism including the Muslim brotherhood movement over the years and I would consider myself well informed about the topic. Totally irrelevant to the issue but you asked me so I'm giving you the courtesy of an answer.

If you want a general introduction Shiraz maher's history of salafism published last year is to be recommended.

You would also be the type to be on here complaining if the civil servants did nothing to help an Irish citizen.

You do realise this is why we have embassies and foreign affairs staff?
    Correct, I sure would be supportive of our consular service assisting Irish Citizens when in difficulty abroad. My support would be mitigated however if said Irish citizen got themselves involved in the political upheavals of the county they were holidaying in and cheerleading Muslim Brotherhood and if daddy back home was a prime mover and shaker in said organisation.
    If all of this is untrue, Mr Halawa and his dad should have no problem, when thanking the Irish community for its support, to also renounce and condemn Islamic fundamentalism yeah ?

Correct, I sure would be supportive of our consular service assisting Irish Citizens when in difficulty abroad. My support would be mitigated however if said Irish citizen got themselves involved in the political upheavals of the county they were holidaying in and cheerleading Muslim Brotherhood and if daddy back home was a prime mover and shaker in said organisation.
    If all of this is untrue, Mr Halawa and his dad should have no problem, when thanking the Irish community for its support, to also renounce and condemn Islamic fundamentalism yeah ?

Consular assistance does not work that way.

They do not judge or assume guilt. Maybe you should try that yourself.

Mr Halawa's father is not involved in this in any way.

The son has been acquited of all charges by Egyptian courts. That means he's officially innocent.

Neither of them are required to renounce anything. Why should they?

givyjoe wrote: »
    That is quite the mental gymnastics in your posts there.. I'm racist because I want him treated differently?! What special treatment am I asking him to receive.

As for your posts, if they quack like a racist post.. or rather racist undertones.. you do know it can be subtle too?

So you seriously believe that the reason he didn't stand trial is because of the mighty work done by the Irish government? What actual evidence have you that the Irish governments work, stopped this going to trial? Do you think, maybe, just maybe.. it didn't go to trial as the authorities there didnt have any actual evidence of him committing a crime? He was in prison for peacefully protesting, but sure lock him up and throw away the key.

The fact you compared a guy, who was a kid at the time of his arrest, to known drug dealers and killers, despite him not actually having committed a crime.. is pretty illuminating as to your bias against Halawa.

If I were you I'd get help for that paranoia that your posts are displaying, that's if there's any money left for mental health after the government finish licking the terrorists arse

This is irrelevant but I hold a degree in history......

Then you'll know about objectivity then so anything Humphreys says re this type of stuff is hardly neutral is it considering he's widely regarded as a pro-Israeli apologist.

This is irrelevant but I hold a degree in history, have read many books and articles on Islamic fundamentalism including the Muslim brotherhood movement over the years and I would consider myself well informed about the topic. Totally irrelevant to the issue but you asked me so I'm giving you the courtesy of an answer.

If you want a general introduction Shiraz maher's history of salafism published last year is to be recommended.

It is far from irrelevant. You asked another poster if they were concerned at the Halawa family's "alleged links" with the MB. That sounds like you consider the MB to be nothing but a collection of bad eggs. ln another post you recommended Mark Humphreys as a source.

A history graduate ought to be more adept at collecting, analysing and presenting information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Consular assistance does not work that way.

They do not judge or assume guilt. Maybe you should try that yourself.

Mr Halawa's father is not involved in this in any way.

The son has been acquited of all charges by Egyptian courts. That means he's officially innocent.

Neither of them are required to renounce anything. Why should they?

No it doesn't.

No it doesn't.

OK, I'll bite. What do you think it means?

• Advertisement

First Up wrote: »
    OK, I'll bite. What do you think it means?

We didn't get him this time :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement