Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

First Up wrote: »
    OK, I'll bite. What do you think it means?
    If means that there was enough political pressure to get him off

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

No it doesn't.

Ha yes, of course it does.

Just because you've made your mind up does not mean you're right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

OK, I'll bite. What do you think it means?

It means that there was not enough evidence to convict, or the state did not want to pursue the evidence available.

For example, I could murder someone today, and leave no evidence. I may be seen in the area and arrested and put on trial. Due to the lack of evidence, i could be found not guilty. That wouldn't make me innocent, it would make me not guilty. Courts do not prove innocence. Its a fairly basic concept. OJ Simpson would be a real life example. He's not guilty of murdering his wife and her lover, but most people can see that he did.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Ha yes, of course it does.

Just because you've made your mind up does not mean you're right.

No court, anywhere, finds people innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Guilty even when acquitted, the bigotry is strong in some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

It is far from irrelevant. You asked another poster if they were concerned at the Halawa family's "alleged links" with the MB. That sounds like you consider the MB to be nothing but a collection of bad eggs. ln another post you recommended Mark Humphreys as a source.

A history graduate ought to be more adept at collecting, analysing and presenting information.

Thank you for your little lecture. I have noted your concerns. Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Right, so you just mean legal technicalities then. Or do you believe he is guilty, just not guilty enough for them to take him to trial and convict?

Innocence is assumed until guilt is proven which it wasn't in this case. Therefore he is innocent.

givyjoe wrote: »
    Right, so you just mean legal technicalities then. Or do you believe he is guilty, just not guilty enough for them to take him to trial and convict?

Its not a technicality. It is a fact. Courts do not find people innocent. Doesn't matter what charge, doesn't matter what defendant, doesn't matter what judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bonaparte2

I hope he suffered no ill effects from the hungerstrikes bad diet and mistreatment

• Advertisement

Its not a technicality. It is a fact. Courts do not find people innocent. Doesn't matter what charge, doesn't matter what defendant, doesn't matter what judge.

Right, so if someone is acquitted on charges.. tell me.. do they then have a criminal record?

Stop being an arse. Not guilty is the same as innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

Great news to hear. I'm delighted for the family, they will enjoy their weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

For example, I could murder someone today, and leave no evidence. I may be seen in the area and arrested and put on trial. Due to the lack of evidence, i could be found not guilty. That wouldn't make me innocent, it would make me not guilty. Courts do not prove innocence. Its a fairly basic concept. OJ Simpson would be a real life example. He's not guilty of murdering his wife and her lover, but most people can see that he did.

So in the case of young Halawa, what can you see that he did that the Egyptian court couldn't?

Ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat.

Thank you for your little lecture. I have noted your concerns. Many thanks.

I'm not the least concerned, but you should be.

bonaparte2 wrote: »
    I hope he suffered no ill effects from the hungerstrikes bad diet and mistreatment

Don't forget his disformed hand which was shot and not allowed receive treatment and his heart condition.

givyjoe wrote: »
    Right, so if someone is acquitted on charges.. tell me.. do they then have a criminal record?

If I assault or murder someone and am found not guilty, am I innocent??

So in the case of young Halawa, what can you see that he did that the Egyptian court couldn't?

I can see that they found him NOT GUILTY. Nowhere in the courts notes does it say he is innocent.

I'm not the least concerned, but you should be.

Why should I be concerned oh great one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

I wonder how much tax payer money has been wasted on Halawa at this stage ?

It wouldn't surprise me if its over a million.

A few years ago just one bogus asylum seeker cost the state over a million euro.

With the use of the government jet to bring Irish officials over to egypt this case could cost the tax payer even more.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/1m-legal-bill-after-pamela-and-girls-finally-deported-26753400.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

So your default position must be that is everyone is guilty of everything then? :confused:

If I assault or murder someone and am found not guilty, am I innocent??

In the eyes of the law yes you are.

I can see that they found him NOT GUILTY. Nowhere in the courts notes does it say he is innocent.

He was acquitted of all proposed charges, there was no trial. Would you mind telling us exactly what offense you believe (or preferably have evidence of) he is guilty of?

If he is not guilty and not innocent, care to educate us on what he is?

To put this into context, if you were on arrested on suspicion of an offence, the authorities have x period of time to gather their evidence and file charges with the DPP and bring to trial. So what is that usually, 24, 48 hours? This chap was held without charge for FOUR YEARS. You should really be more concerned with this fact, rather than pointlessly trying to paint this lad as some kind of terrorist.

Dr Brown wrote: »
    I wonder how much tax payer money has been wasted on Halawa at this stage ?

It wouldn't surprise me if its over a million.

A few years ago just one bogus asylum seeker cost the state over a million euro.

With the use of the government jet to bring Irish officials over to egypt this case could cost the tax payer even more.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/1m-legal-bill-after-pamela-and-girls-finally-deported-26753400.html

Coveney listed all of the effort earlier. Former taoisigh, multiple ambassadors and diplomats, he estimated 20,000 work hours were put into it and he said it was an unprecedented effort overall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

Coveney listed all of the effort earlier. Former taoisigh, multiple ambassadors and diplomats, he estimated 20,000 work hours were put into it and he said it was an unprecedented effort overall

So it sounds like the bill to free Halawa could run into millions:eek:

Why should I be concerned oh great one?

I'm not here to offer career guidance.

Dr Brown wrote: »
    So it sounds like the bill to free Halawa could run into millions:eek:

I'd say that we are looking at multimillions at this stage.

Easy Rod wrote: »
    So your default position must be that is everyone is guilty of everything then? :confused:

No, that is not my default position. I merely corrected a poster who thought that a court found people innocent.

• Advertisement

No, that is not my default position. I merely corrected a poster who thought that a court found people innocent.

You are wrong.

A court finds people guilty or not guilty.

Not guilty is the exact same as innocent.

You are just being pedantic for the sake of argument with no real valid point to make.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement