Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I really don't understand the coverage this is getting. In conversations with friends and family as well as the here and other forums, they're is a widely held belief that things are not as they seem as they are being presented by the Irish Times, RTE, the Journal etc. I'm wondering (and I doubt I'm alone) if there is an attempt to manipulate the public conversation on this, and what is the motivation for it.

Ordinarily, a dual citizen is not entitled to consular assistance in the country in which they hold a citizenship. Given how useless the DoFA are generally at assisting citizens overseas in difficulty, I'm left wondering why they went out on a limb here.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,083 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I expect a large convoy of politicans will meet him at the airport for photo media bs, lead by Mr. Media LeoV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

What are people alluding to when they say "something doesn't add up". I've only read the mainstream media reports so am not aware of other speculation. If it can't be posted here, could someone PM me please?

It's basic human rights to be considered innocent until proven guilty though?

By a justice system

No individual here is under any such onus

givyjoe wrote: »
    And?! What exactly is your point?! Are you disappointed that he doesn't look like a broken man..? Would you prefer if he came out missing a few limbs? Or are you just peeved that he 'looks so well' despite having endured what it's alleged he endured?

Putting physical appearance aside, how do you know what his mental state is like? Can you imagine you might feel after 4 years in prison?

Well, I mean it's obvious what's being said here, but for your benefit:

The constant reports in the media about what he was supposedly enduring were a load of aul codswallop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

The constant reports in the media about what he was supposedly enduring were a load of aul codswallop.

Ah right, so it's not biggee being locked up for 4 years from the age of 17-21 then is it? Grand so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It's basic human rights to be considered innocent until proven guilty though?

By a justice system

Peoples opinions are not official.

By a justice system

Free to make assumptions influenced by their own prejudicial bias? Agreed.

Lucky for me, you and everyone else here, there are higher standards in courts... even in Egypt in seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Ah right, so it's not biggee being locked up for 4 years from the age of 17-21 then is it? Grand so.

It's bad but not as bad as the public were led to believe.

gitzy16v wrote: »
    It's bad but not as bad as the public were led to believe.

Unjustly spending 4 years in jail is pretty bad, not also being tortured etc doesn't make it 'less bad'. It's also not some kind of holiday as some others seem to be mind mindbogglingly implying. Bizarre attitude, 'sure look.. not a mark on him.. what's he crying about'

• Advertisement

Unjustly spending 4 years in jail is pretty bad, not also being tortured etc doesn't make it 'less bad'. It's also not some kind of holiday as some others seem to be mind mindbogglingly implying. Bizarre attitude, 'sure look.. not a mark on him.. what's he crying about'

It's better spending 4 years in jail not being tortured than 4 years in jail being tortured.
    So yes,it's 'less bad'.
    Even better would be not being in jail at all.
    Ibrahim could have easily avoided jail.

Hmmm is this what was said is it hmmmmmmmmm?

Free to make assumptions influenced by their own prejudicial bias? Agreed.

Lucky for me, you and everyone else here, there are higher standards in courts... even in Egypt in seems.

Well....yeah? The point being that anyone can still have their doubts about this affair regardless of the verdict.

Funny yer mad to defend the standards of the Egyptian justice system all a sudden.

It's hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

How do you know what he has or hasn't endured?

Have you been to a prison in Egypt?

4 years in jail for nothing would be very tough to me.

murpho999 wrote: »
    How do you know what he has or hasn't endured?

Have you been to a prison in Egypt?

4 years in jail for nothing would be very tough to me.

Yeah well listen.....it's easily enough avoided so you can relax I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yeah well listen.....it's easily enough avoided so you can relax I'd say

I'm totally relaxed thanks.

You and other posters seem very upset that he has been released and is also not on death's door.

It's better spending 4 years in jail not being tortured than 4 years in jail being tortured.
    So yes,it's 'less bad'.
    Even better would be not being in jail at all.

Yes, he could have avoided jail by not peacefully protesting. Utter tripe.

Seriously, so many of you here would want to take a serious look at yourselves. The prejudice dripping off your posts is jaw dropping.

Remember the film 'A time to kill'.. Matthew Mc's line in his defence summary is most apt here.. 'imagine a kid of 17 is held unlawfully in jail for 4 years, without having a committed a crime.. that he was beaten and tortured during those 4 years.. now imagine he's a white Irish kid..' Overly dramatic perhaps, but it's a pretty accurate observation of the mindset of many here.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No he should not have been tortured or anything.

But its clear as day the Public have been lied to about his conditon. Its clear we have been lied to about his health.

Mentally we dont know. But 2 lies so far its easy to see why some still have plenty of questions to ask.

I hope they are asked.

Seriously, so many of you here would want to take a serious look at yourselves. The prejudice dripping off your posts is jaw dropping.

Remember the film 'A time to kill'.. Matthew Mc's line in his defence summary is most apt here.. 'imagine a kid of 17 is held unlawfully in jail for 4 years, without having a committed a crime.. that he was beaten and tortured during those 4 years.. now imagine he's a white Irish kid..' Overly dramatic perhaps, but it's a pretty accurate observation of the mindset of many here.
    Relax yourself.
    Nothing wrong with anything I've posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

But its clear as day the Public have been lied to about his conditon. Its clear we have been lied to about his health.

Mentally we dont know. But 2 lies so far its easy to see why some still have plenty of questions to ask.

I hope they are asked.

Can you point out exactly what “lies” these are that have “clearly” been proven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭seanin4711

imagine he is a white "Pat Hickey".
    compare and contrast the way the Irish government worked on each case.
    both Irish citizens one found not guilty, the other one ........ has friends in high pl(aces)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

I hope they are asked.

How do you know what condition he is in or what his state of health is?

RustyNut wrote: »

I asked Kenny Rogers

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What are people alluding to when they say "something doesn't add up". I've only read the mainstream media reports so am not aware of other speculation. If it can't be posted here, could someone PM me please?

He's muslim and he's brown.

Relax yourself.
    Nothing wrong with anything I've posted.

You keep telling yourself that.

I'm relaxed mate, thanks for the concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

By not going to Egypt?

The exact same could be said about the Birmingham Six.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

RustyNut wrote: »

By a simple photo. Its not rocket sceince. Does he look starved?

You keep telling yourself that.

I'm relaxed mate, thanks for the concern.

What's wrong with any of my posts?
    I'm not concerned about you mate.

He's muslim and he's brown.

He was onstage burning passports and demonstrat....

Oh fukcit. Why bother

• Advertisement

By not going to Egypt?

The exact same could be said about the Birmingham Six.

It could but it wouldn't have any relevance to Ibrahim halawa

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement